Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

John's singing is some of his best, this is much better than the slow version on The White Album. 

Couldn't agree more.  Are you planning to review BEATLES RARITIES

Thebeatlesraritiesusalbumcover.jpg

I bought this one the year it was new, the UK release :

TheBeatlesRaritiesalbumcover.jpg

14 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Couldn't agree more.  Are you planning to review BEATLES RARITIES

No, I just wanted to review the US/Capitol studio albums that were released during the time they were together. Listening to them again in chronological order was a great experience. I do own the Rarities album though.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Listening to them again in chronological order was a great experience. I do own the Rarities album though.

Lots of great BEATLES music to enjoy, even with the hacked up USA releases.  If I remember right, the RARITIES collection has annotation that points out that one of the "rarities" had sold millions of copies as the flip of an early 45. 

A black cover with four square photos of the band members' faces

Let It Be by The Beatles -May 1970

The group's final release but not one of the their best. Phil Spector was brought in to overdub many of the tracks. It begins with John saying "I dig a pygmy by Charles Hawtrey And The Deaf Aids..." there are other snatches dialogue throughout the record. The first song is "Two Of Us" a nice folky acoustic tune with Paul and John singing a duet, which they did much more in the early days. "I Dig A Pony" is John singing a nonsense song (even he admitted that's what it was). "Across The Universe" was previously recorded  years ago and Spector reproduced it here. It has some of John's nicest poetic imagery. George has his first song on the record with "I Me Mine" an OK song with good guitar and falsetto singing. "Dig It" is credited to all four Beatles (last time this happened was "Flying" in 1967) and it is just a fragment of a jam session, not even a minute long, Paul then says in a high pitched voice "now we'd like to do 'Ark The Angels Come" which goes into the title song, which is the best on the album. It has a beautiful hymn like melody and touching lyrics as well as heart felt singing from Paul, There is a great guitar solo in the middle. A quick filler fragment is "Maggie Mae". Side 2 opens with a rehearsal sounding "I've Got A Feeling" sung mostly by Paul but John comes in with his own vocal and I like his part a bit better. "One After 909" is an early Lennon/McCartney song, done in the old rock n roll style of Chuck Berry, John and Paul duet again on this one. "The Long And Winding Road" is a nice sad piano ballad by Paul, but buried by Spector's strings and choir. It was their last #1 single. John can be heard saying "Queen says no to pot smoking FBI member" at the end. "For You Blue" is an unusual light hearted blues song from George, he seems to be having a good time on this as he laughs "Elmore James got nothing on this baby!" The final song is "Get Back" a great Paul rocker with some great bass playing and electric piano by guest Billy Preston. John says he hopes the group "passed the audition". And their you have it the final studio album released by the greatest musical group in history. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Let I Be by The Beatles -May 1970

Probably the first BEATLES album I bought.  Of course, I was maybe 12 and the record already 3 years old.  I've always loved it, dripping in treacle as parts are. 

• Like 1

(This is a reply to the Saint-Saëns piece. My quote didn't attach.)

Very nice. That really was a great era for music.

I got curious about the instrument the gray haired guy is seen playing at 0:55. It is a glass harmonica, or armonica, and seems to have come and gone pretty quickly. There is even some myth attached to it that holds players were made mad by it. 

• Like 1

I love Saint-Saens.

Lately, I've listened to Moon River clip from Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I've also listened to some Robbie Robertson and some great tunes while driving  (Rock Songs).  I like a great deal of music but don't prefer much of today's pop/rap/etc.  (sorry for awkwardness).  I also get a kick out of listening to 80's music when I watch some movies.  I have a question for those who actually watch the commercials:  did you ever wonder how the original intention or interpretation of the song fits with the commercial.  Do you think Freddy Mercury/Queen would have wanted I Want to Break Free (don't know song's exact title) used for a cruise line?  It is a rhetorical question.

• Like 2
Just now, chaya bat woof woof said:

I have a question for those who actually watch the commercials:  did you ever wonder how the original intention or interpretation of the song fits with the commercial.  Do you think Freddy Mercury/Queen would have wanted I Want to Break Free (don't know song's exact title) used for a cruise line?  It is a rhetorical question.

I can't speak for Freddie but if I were a pop song writer, I'd be happy if an ad company said they wanted to use my work, and I'd thank them as I told them how to make out the check. 

• Haha 1