Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

DON McLEAN American Pie

71WZbVhqbkL._AC_SX425_.jpg

When he's asked, "What does 'American Pie' mean?" Don McLean likes to reply, "It means I'll never have to work again." 

• Haha 2

David Ruffin - My Whole World Ended.png

My Whole World Ended by David Ruffin-May 1969

The lead singer of The Temptations went solo with this record, a great soulful collection of songs of heartbreak and tragedy. The title cut became a top ten single, though the album did not sell well. It sets the tone as he sings with great passion and emotion of his girl leaving him and feeling like his whole life is over. He is backed up by some of the great Motown musicians. The next song is "Pieces Of A Man" which showcases his raspy, raw vocals. One of the most tragic songs is "I've Lost Everything I Ever Loved" in which the narrator talks about losing his parents in a fire, his loving grandmother dies, even his dog is run over by a car. Ruffin's heartfelt singing makes the lyrics work ("Seems like the odds are against me, Nothing works out right for me, I've lost everything I've ever loved, honey now I'm losing you"). "Everlasting Love" is one of the more hopeful songs on the album, it would later be a top ten hit for Carl Carlton in 1974. Another song "The Double Cross" he takes aim at his friend who stole his girl. A touching sad song is "Message From Maria" as he receives a tear stained letter from his girl just before she dies. The most powerful song is the last "Flower Child". It gets away from broken love affairs and tells a gut wrenching story of a father searching for his runaway daughter and finding her in a dangerous area, now one of the "flower children". This is a great album that should be better known, I hope others have heard it.

• Like 1

Just saw a scene in "My Three Sons" featuring a green bench, a sure sign that it's time to hear this one again. Local boy Boz Scaggs and the future members of Toto doing  one of the best car song singalongs I know of. 

• Like 2

One of my favorite Bowie albums particularly for the awesome work of Mick Ronson.  There's a great documentary on him and I was not aware of the extent of his musical genius.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ladydid said:

One of my favorite Bowie albums particularly for the awesome work of Mick Ronson.  There's a great documentary on him and I was not aware of the extent of his musical genius.

I never automatically loved a BOWIE album, with two exceptions:  Low and Hunky DoryHunky Dory is my favorite of his, if not Low; overall, BOWIE has an uneven oeuvre.  It's nice you pointed out MICK RONSON who makes an indelible impression on BOWIE's best work. 

• Like 1

Not sure if alt rock is old enough to be nostalgia by now or if it's still recent enough to be stale, but I like this one.

There was a Jane, she was addicted to heroin, but I have it on good authority that she did in fact kick, as she promised she would. 

Edit: I did not know this thing is from 1987. Yeah it's nostalgia.

• Like 1

I know this will only appeal to a very limited audience but for me this is some of the finest playing I have seen.    I saw Kessel live many times.  He gave a great show and had a good stage presence.   Witty, and charming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I know this will only appeal to a very limited audience but for me this is some of the finest playing I have seen.    I saw Kessel live many times.  He gave a great show and had a good stage presence.   Witty, and charming. 

Like butta!

Not bad for an Oakie.

• Like 1