Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

About six years ago I posted this on twitter, praising Elliot Easton's guitar break - because it is very good - and mentioning a few details about his rig that I had looked up. All I recall now is that he played a telecaster with maybe a bucker in the neck. Anyway, you know who I got a like from? 

Elliot Easton. He's a nice guy. If you like talking guitars and are a fan of his music, you can probably trade a few tweets with him. 

Edit: Elliot has given a subsequent interview where he says he played a 61 Strat on this one. He didn't correct me then, and now I'm wondering if he remembers right. One of us has it wrong anyway. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

About six years ago I posted this on twitter, praising Elliot Easton's guitar break - because it is very good - and mentioning a few details about his rig that I had looked up. All I recall now is that he played a telecaster with maybe a bucker in the neck. Anyway, you know who I got a like from? 

Elliot Easton. He's a nice guy. If you like talking guitars and are a fan of his music, you can probably trade a few tweets with him. 

Edit: Elliot has given a subsequent interview where he says he played a 61 Strat on this one. He didn't correct me then, and now I'm wondering if he remembers right. One of us has it wrong anyway. 

Candie-O is one of my favorite tunes on this one.  

• Like 1

Glad to see you mention Bjork.  Seems you either love/hate her music.  I belong to the former group.  Collected most of her albums and listened to her for quite a few years.  She gave an amazing performance at the Garden years back that I luckily attended.  All kinds of cool instruments both old and new as well as a range of performers.  

Yesterday, I listed to the sound of my car's battery dying coupled with my tears.  As far as music, heard some really good tunes this a.m., including Led Z., the Stones, and Tom Cochran.  I program which stations I want.  I actually like some of the music that accompanies the TV commercials/TV shows.

3 hours ago, ladydid said:

Glad to see you mention Bjork.  Seems you either love/hate her music.  I belong to the former group.  Collected most of her albums and listened to her for quite a few years.  She gave an amazing performance at the Garden years back that I luckily attended.  All kinds of cool instruments both old and new as well as a range of performers.  

I think she was with a band called SUGAR CUBES which I saw in NY open for... PETER GABRIEL?  Can't remember...

• Like 1

RamMcCartneyalbumcover.jpg

Ram by Paul and Linda McCartney -May 1971

Paul's second solo album, a very good entertaining collection, much better than his first McCartney (which I reviewed back on Jan 12.) The first song is one of the best "Two Many People" with some pointed lyrics and good guitar. John Lennon took some of the lyrics as a dig at him, like "you took your lucky break and broke it in two". "3 Legs" is good bluesy number, also with some lyrics that John may have been hurt by, like "when I thought you was my friend, you let me down, put my heart around the bend". "Uncle Albert, Admiral Halsey" was a #1 hit, an entertaining two part song with a soothing beginning and then energetic second part. Paul seems to be having a good time using a lot of humor. There is the very funny rocker "Smile Away" with great guitar playing and hilarious lyrics. Side 2 starts with my favorite on the record "Heart Of The Country" a fun tune about living on the farm. He does some of his "Oh! Darling" type screaming vocals on "Monkberry Moon Delight". "Eat At Home" is an old school rocker in the style of Buddy Holly or Elvis Presley. The last song is a nice Beach Boys type song "The Back Seat Of My Car". Many songs sound very Beatle-ish, they could have fit right in on the The White Album or Abbey Road.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

RamMcCartneyalbumcover.jpg

Paul's second solo album, a very good entertaining collection, much better than his first McCartney (which I reviewed back on Jan 12.) The first song is one of the best "Two Many People" with some pointed lyrics and good guitar. John Lennon took some of the lyrics as a dig at him, like "you took your lucky break and broke it in two". "3 Legs" is good bluesy number, also with some lyrics that John may have been hurt by, like "when I thought you was my friend, you let me down, put my heart around the bend". "Uncle Albert, Admiral Halsey" was a #1 hit, an entertaining two part song with a soothing beginning and then energetic second part. Paul seems to be having a good time using a lot of humor. There is the very funny rocker "Smile Away" with great guitar playing and hilarious lyrics. Side 2 starts with my favorite on the record "Heart Of The Country" a fun tune about living on the farm. He does some of his "Oh! Darling" type screaming vocals on "Monkberry Moon Delight". "Eat At Home" is an old school rocker in the style of Buddy Holly or Elvis Presley. The last song is a nice Beach Boys type song "The Back Seat Of My Car". Many songs sound very Beatle-ish, they could have fit right in on the The White Album or Abbey Road.

Nice write up.     As for the lyrics of Too Many People:   Here is the Howard Stern interview of Paul.     Paul  says that those lyrics were direct digs at John,   since John was doing the same with How  Do You Sleep at Night.

• Thanks 1

Ram is a good album. Have always thought so even when critics didn't think much of it. Too Many People is the best tune on it. The album is typical McCartney because of all the different styles he writes in. I really like Dear Boy. The harmonies and counter melodies in the vocals are painstakingly well done. Ram On is kind of fun in a simple way. The Back Seat of My Car rings the most Beatle-esque to me. I was never a big fan of Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. It was just a song on its way to the next one.  

I agree it is better than McCartney and certainly better than Red Rose Speedway, though they have their spots. 

I still listen to it.

• Like 2

I don't know why Jimmy Page didn't record more of these smoky blues pieces. He was very good at them, I think. At times here he can be downright melodic. I can imagine him, alone in a basement studio in Munich in November 1975, layering guitars over a drum track, though I doubt he was drinking tea. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Without doubt, the one PAUL album I have continued to love and listen to... I had almost all of his WINGS and solo on vinyl up to McCARTNEY II.  Then I gave up; but I never gave up on Ram

• Like 1
5 hours ago, movieman1957 said:

I agree it is better than McCartney and certainly better than Red Rose Speedway, though they have their spots. 

I still listen to it.

And yet, nobody mentions Wildlife ... or owned it...! 

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

Apparently at that time in the throes of addiction... not to tea. 

He takes pride in saying that he produced Presence in a matter of days, and pretty much by his dam self. So he was apparently able to lay off the smack for at least long enough to do that.

He, or somebody, also said something about that album that I hadn't noted before, that it is Zep's only LP with no acoustic tracks. 

But I do enjoy that recording, which as many have noted, is pretty much a redo of Since I've Been Loving You

• Like 1