Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

11 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

And yet, nobody mentions Wildlife ... or owned it...! 

I own that one, (along with every single McCartney solo album) I will give that a listen and review it in the next few days.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I own that one, (along with every single McCartney solo album) I will give that a listen and review it in the next few days.

If I ever listened to it, I don't remember it.  Wildlife was the only WINGS album I didn't own.   Looking forward to your review.

JLPOBCover.jpg

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band -Dec 1970

Lennon gives us one of the most raw and powerful albums of all time. He was undergoing Primal Scream therapy at the time and this is one of the most intimate portraits a major artist has ever allowed the public to see. The instruments are very spare but effective, John on guitar and sometimes piano, Ringo Starr on drums and their old friend from Germany Klaus Voormann on bass. The first song "Mother' is a gut wrenching experience, as John talks of rejection and abandonment by his parents, his screams at the end are chilling. "Hold On John" is a more hopeful tune telling himself, Yoko and the world to hold on, it's gonna be alright. "I Found Out" is John lashing out at everybody who has ever disappointed him. My favorite track is "Working Class Hero" , it has the most ominous sounding acoustic guitar playing and some of John's most bitter and powerful lyrics. "Isolation" is a gentle sounding tune about exactly what the title says. "Remember" opens Side 2 with a pounding piano riff and John talking about remembering things the way they were and how he now sees them. It ends with "Remember the fifth of November!" and an explosion. "Love" is the most beautiful song on the album with simple but still profound lyrics. Producer Phil Spector plays piano. "Well Well Well" has some stinging guitar playing and more unnerving primal screams. "Look At Me" is a tender love song. "God" is John giving us a list of things he does not believe in with a litany of statements about Jesus, Kennedy, Buddha, Mantra, Elvis, Dylan (called Zimmerman here) and finally spits out "I don't believe in Beatles". He tells us the dream is over and we need to carry on. Billy Preston provides some gospel sounding piano on this one. The final song is a chilling demo called "My Mummy's Dead". This album is a musical masterpiece, even if sometimes painful, but that's what the truth sometimes is.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Lennon gives us the one of the most raw and powerful albums of all time.

Somehow, LENNON was co-produced perfectly by PHIL SPECTOR another crazy genius; the perfection of this album is why LENNON remained loyal to PHIL... for a while.   Plastic Ono Band is one of the greatest records yet! 

• Like 1

I went looking for a video I'd seen ridiculed on Beavis and Butthead called "Cool Kids" -and I found it - then got curious about the band. Read their wiki page, found they are still working and apparently have a loyal following, especially in Maryland. Then I found this video of a Nick Gilder song I'd not heard before. It is, I think you will agree, oddly compelling. 

43 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

It's not bad; I've heard of them.  Reminds me of 70s Glam.

It's one molecule away from Def Leppard. I've heard it said that the 60s began sometime in 1965 and lasted till around Nixon's reelection. The 70s seem to be still in evidence here, and this was shot in 83, I think. But yeah not horrible. For what it is. 

Edit: Watching again the 80s contemporary influence is unmistakable, with the girls in their dance wear recalling Flashdance (but now that I think of it, I see some All That Jazz aesthetic going on too) and our obviously Phoebe Cates-impersonating leading lady. 

I will save "Cool Kids" for another time. Beavis and Butthead pretty much demolished that one.

ImagineCover.jpg

Imagine by John Lennon -Sep 1971

Lennon comes up with his second masterpiece in a row. The title track, now a classic, still works with it's beautiful folky melody and yearning lyrics for peace in a Utopian world. "Crippled Inside" is a fun rockabilly type number, he is reunited with another Beatle George Harrison who plays a great dobro on here, he is also on a few other songs. "Jealous Guy" is a beautiful ballad, great piano by Nicky Hopkins and heartfelt vocals from John. "It's So Hard" is a blues number with John singing in his gruff rocker voice, some great sax from King Curtis. John gets political with his hypnotic anti war song "I Don't Want To Be A Soldier". Side 2 has another political song with John railing against phony politicians and other hypocrites, some great lead guitar from George on this. "Oh My Love" is one of his most beautiful love songs, sung in his warm. romantic voice. Then we get John's venomous "How Do You Sleep", an answer to the jabs that Paul McCartney gave John on his Ram album. The lyrics are vicious and the music is brilliant, producer Phil Spector added some very ominous string arrangements and John's voice never sounded more menacing. George plays slide guitar on this, showing whose side he is on with this feud. "How" is another lush ballad with beautiful strings. The final song "Oh Yoko" is a joyous, loving tribute to his wife. One of the most fun things about this is John playing the harmonica, not heard too much since the early Beatle days.

• Like 1

Wings, Wild Life (1971).png

Wild Life by Wings -Dec 1971

A weak beginning for Paul McCartney's second band. Denny Laine from the Moody Blues on guitar (he stayed with the group till the end), wife Linda on keyboards and harmonies, Denny Seiwell on drums. "Mumbo" begins the album and it was improvised in one take, it sounds like it. "Bip Bop" is a monotonous finger picking song with nonsense lyrics. There is an OK reggae version of Mickey and Sylvia's old hit "Love Is Strange" though it still sounds like a demo. The title song is not bad with one good line "A lot of political nonsense in the air" but is way too long at over 6 minutes. Side 2 begins with "Some People Never Know" which has a nice melody but again too long at 6:36."I Am Your Singer" is an OK duet with wife Linda. "Tomorrow" is one of the better songs, though still sounds like a rough cut. The final song is the only burst of excellence-"Dear Friend" with great piano and Paul's most heartfelt singing on the record. This came after John Lennon had many cutting remarks about Paul in the press and his nasty "How Do You Sleep" was released on Imagine. Here Paul seems to be looking to end the feud with some very moving lyrics "Dear friend, what's the time? Is this really the borderline? Are you afraid or is it true?"

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Wild Life by Wings -Dec 1971

A weak beginning for Paul McCartney's second band.

That's the impression I had... perhaps I heard ti years ago and was unimpressed... for some reason I did not buy it!

Inspired by above review, listening to:

JOHN LENNON Imagine

R-382877-1327933991.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

David Kellner (1670 - 1748) was a German-born composer and theorist of the Baroque era. (Remember that circle of fifths diagram from your music lessons? He did that.) He was a soldier for ten years in The Great Northern War before he settled in Stockholm where he worked as an organist. He was among the last virtuosos of the lute.

Alexandra Whittingham is a British guitarist who has won wide acclaim. You can hear and see more of her here

Run time is 5'44

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JohnLennon-albums-sometimeinnewyorkcity.jpg

Some Time In New York City by John Lennon & Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band with Elephant's Memory-Jun 1972

John follows his two greatest albums with his worst one. He cowrote and sometimes duets with Yoko on some songs. Yoko wrote and sings some alone but they are not worth mentioning. The first of their cowriting songs is "Woman Is The N***er Of The World" about chauvinism, which is OK. Several others are "Attica State", Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Angela" about current radical causes they were into, the song are  not very good. The best of them is "The Luck Of The Irish" with John singing well and a nice folk ballad melody, unfortunately Yoko also sings on it. Two songs are by Lennon alone-the best is "New York City" with John doing what he does best- old time Chuck Berry style rock n roll. The other "John Sinclair" is another trite political song. 

Making things even worse is another disc of live jam sessions from 1969 and 1971. John does a long version of his solo single "Cold Turkey" which is OK. Yoko shrieks and squeals for 15 minutes on "Don't Worry Kyoko". The best thing on the live record is John singing an old blues song "Well, Baby Please Don't Go", though Yoko is heard squealing on this too. The rest is some boring jams with Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Probably "Jealous Guy" or "Oh My Love".  When JOHN is tender, he is special.

GERSHWIN Plays GERSHWIN & Selected Favorites

gershwin-plays-gershwin-selected-favorit

"Jealous Guy"  as Lennon being  tender:    Ok,  I can see that.   My understanding is the song was John's way of saying sorry for having written Run For Your Life.

59 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

"Jealous Guy"  as Lennon being  tender:    Ok,  I can see that.   My understanding is the song was John's way of saying sorry for having written Run For Your Life.

Perhaps JOHN was talking to PAUL, perhaps JOHN was talking to YOKO.  Perhaps he was talking to himself.  LENNON was great at self exposure, and was sometimes contrite.