Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

John's way of saying sorry for having written Run For Your Life.

John went on record that he hated that song. The reason was that he knocked it off just to get another song for the album. He even stole the line "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man" from the old blues song "Baby Let's Play House"/

Wings, Red Rose Speedway (1973).png

Red Rose Speedway by Paul McCartney And Wings-Apr 1973

An improvement over Wild Life, but just OK, no songs as good as 'Dear Friend" either. The same personnel are here with an addition of guitarist Henry McCullough.  The vinyl record comes with a 12 page booklet of photos and the lyrics to the songs. "Big Barn Bed" opens the album, an OK pop song. The next is the best, the #1 hit "My Love", a nice romantic ballad. "One More Kiss" is a good country flavored love song. "Little Lamb Dragonfly" is a 6 minute song but has a pleasant soothing melody. "Single Pigeon" starts the next side, a good piano song but it is very short (1:52). Loup(1st Indian On The Moon) is a forgettable instrumental with chanting and moog synthesizer. The final track is an 11 minute medley of 4 quick songs-"Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands Of Love/Power Cut", none are that great but listenable.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I owned it on vinyl.  I will say that the cover was way cool... when I was 11.  I remember there was a message in braille on the back cover.  I did like PAUL's albums back in the day, and RRS does have lovely melodies.   It is not very good though. 

• Like 1

JohnLennon-albums-mindgames.jpg

Mind Games by John Lennon -Nov 1973

After the commercial and artistic flop Sometime In New York City, John tried a more conventional record. It is definitely better than the last album but still cannot reach the brilliance of the first two. The opening song is the title track and it is the best one on the album, some good wordplay and a soaring sound on the chorus. "Tight A$" is a pretty good rockabilly number with some good Lennon humor."Aisumasen (I'm Sorry)" is an apology song to Yoko, not as good as "Jealous Guy". "One Day (At A Time)" is another Yoko love song, sung in falsetto for some reason. "Bring On The Lucie (Freda People)" is one of the better songs, an upbeat protest song, better than anything on the last album. "I Know (I Know)" yet another song devoted to Yoko, but it is pretty forgettable. Much better is "You Are Here" with a beautiful chorus and some nice loving lyrics. "Meat City" is a throwaway rocker that ends the album.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I love "Oh Yoko", the record company pushed for it to be a single, but Lennon thought it was too "pop".

I love that whole album, but that is my least favorite.  Probably the subject. 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

JohnLennon-albums-sometimeinnewyorkcity.jpg

Some Time In New York City by John Lennon & Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band with Elephant's Memory-Jun 1972

John follows his two greatest albums with his worst one. He cowrote and sometimes duets with Yoko on some songs. Yoko wrote and sings some alone but they are not worth mentioning. The first of their cowriting songs is "Woman Is The N***er Of The World" about chauvinism, which is OK. Several others are "Attica State", Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Angela" about current radical causes they were into, the song are  not very good. The best of them is "The Luck Of The Irish" with John singing well and a nice folk ballad melody, unfortunately Yoko also sings on it. Two songs are by Lennon alone-the best is "New York City" with John doing what he does best- old time Chuck Berry style rock n roll. The other "John Sinclair" is another trite political song. 

Making things even worse is another disc of live jam sessions from 1969 and 1971. John does a long version of his solo single "Cold Turkey" which is OK. Yoko shrieks and squeals for 15 minutes on "Don't Worry Kyoko". The best thing on the live record is John singing an old blues song "Well, Baby Please Don't Go", though Yoko is heard squealing on this too. The rest is some boring jams with Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention.

Back in the day, I only owned 4 or 5 vinyl albums of LENNON, and knowing this album now, I am so very glad I did not spend money on it.  Plus, I must confess, ...Yoko :  Oh no! 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Back in the day, I only owned 4 or 5 vinyl albums of LENNON, and knowing this album now, I am so very glad I did not spend money on it.  Plus, I must confess, ...Yoko :  Oh no! 

My first thought was, she's an acquired taste, but then, has anyone ever acquired a taste for anything she has done? I have never heard of read a soul who said anything like, "What a unique talent. I always enjoy seeing what she's up to."

Aside from having the business sense to buy multiple units in The Dakota, I can't think of anything she's done that is the least bit impressive. 

(Even as I type this I can imagine her reading it and asking, "Riiiiight ... And you are ....?")

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/18/2021 at 2:05 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

ImagineCover.jpg

Imagine by John Lennon -Sep 1971

Lennon comes up with his second masterpiece in a row. The title track, now a classic, still works with it's beautiful folky melody and yearning lyrics for peace in a Utopian world. "Crippled Inside" is a fun rockabilly type number, he is reunited with another Beatle George Harrison who plays a great dobro on here, he is also on a few other songs. "Jealous Guy" is a beautiful ballad, great piano by Nicky Hopkins and heartfelt vocals from John. "It's So Hard" is a blues number with John singing in his gruff rocker voice, some great sax from King Curtis. John gets political with his hypnotic anti war song "I Don't Want To Be A Soldier". Side 2 has another political song with John railing against phony politicians and other hypocrites, some great lead guitar from George on this. "Oh My Love" is one of his most beautiful love songs, sung in his warm. romantic voice. Then we get John's venomous "How Do You Sleep", an answer to the jabs that Paul McCartney gave John on his Ram album. The lyrics are vicious and the music is brilliant, producer Phil Spector added some very ominous string arrangements and John's voice never sounded more menacing. George plays slide guitar on this, showing whose side he is on with this feud. "How" is another lush ballad with beautiful strings. The final song "Oh Yoko" is a joyous, loving tribute to his wife. One of the most fun things about this is John playing the harmonica, not heard too much since the early Beatle days.

A fine collection with one or two that could have been left out. "I Don't Want To Be A Soldier" is a little too redundant for my taste. The song "Imagine" is a perfect example of lyrics shining over what is really a quite ordinary tune. The music is much more compelling on most of the others you mention. "Oh My Love" reminds me some of "Julia" in its nature more than the instrumentation. "Gimme Some Truth" along with "How Do You Sleep" share some production qualities. I agree with your thought on Nicky Hopkins playing on "Jealous Guy" and "Crippled Inside" though I don't care much for the song. His electric piano on "How Do You Sleep" adds a great undertone to it.  Specter is pretty good here. I wish he would have been a little more restrained on Harrison's "All Things Must Pass."

• Like 2
On 2/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Wings, Red Rose Speedway (1973).png

An improvement over Wild Life, but just OK, no songs as good as 'Dear Friend" either. 

I have the album with the booklet. Never could quite bring myself to buying the CD. I always liked "Get On The Right Thing" and "Little Lamb Dragonfly." Except for "My Love" the rest of it is pretty uninspired.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I can't think of anything she's done that is the least bit impressive. 

Sure... she married JOHN LENNON.  I like a lot of "weird" artists and "unique" talents - I have several of CAPTAIN BEEFHEART on CD and vinyl...!  Hell, I have THE SHAGGS, FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS, SILVER APPLES... yet, jeepers creepers I never could get into ... her. 

Listening to:

Ravel- Works for Orchestra (Complete) Vol. 1

s-l500.jpg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Sure... she married JOHN LENNON.  I like a lot of "weird" artists and "unique" talents - I have several of CAPTAIN BEEFHEART on CD and vinyl...!  Hell, I have THE SHAGGS, FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS, SILVER APPLES... yet, jeepers creepers I never could get into ... her. 

Yoko and the Captain. Yes.

Imagine a marquee that reads, "Tonight only: Captain Beefheart and the Lost Planet Airhead!"

• Haha 1

I've really been liking Paul Simon lately. The first time I heard "Kodachrome" was in the movie Coneheads.  I would rewind the tape just to hear the song again.

This one, too. I like the chord changes.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I've really been liking Paul Simon lately. The first time I heard "Kodachrome" was in the movie Coneheads.  I would rewind the tape just to hear the song again.

PAUL SIMON did at least two great albums in the '70s, There Goes Rhymin' Simon being one of them.  I saw him twice, 1st in the '80s and 15 or so years ago.  Memorably bad shows. 

• Like 1