Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

10 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

PAUL SIMON did at least two great albums in the '70s, There Goes Rhymin' Simon being one of them.  I saw him twice, 1st in the '80s and 15 or so years ago.  Memorably bad shows. 

Was the other the one with "Mother and Child Reunion" on it? I got a little clock radio as a gift one year and I kept that thing buzzing. That song was in heavy rotation. Then he made his famous acceptance speech at the Grammys where he thanked Stevie Wonder for ... not releasing an album that year. That one?

Heard this one in the car yesterday. Always liked it. It reminds me I bought a Cry Baby wah pedal last year and I haven't even gotten it dirty yet. This would be a good song to get the hang of it with. 

23 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

PAUL SIMON did at least two great albums in the '70s, There Goes Rhymin' Simon being one of them.  I saw him twice, 1st in the '80s and 15 or so years ago.  Memorably bad shows. 

Why were they bad?

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Was the other the one with "Mother and Child Reunion" on it? I got a little clock radio as a gift one year and I kept that thing buzzing. That song was in heavy rotation. Then he made his famous acceptance speech at the Grammys where he thanked Stevie Wonder for ... not releasing an album that year. That one?

If I remember right, Still Crazy After All These Years was well received.  I never paid much attention to Grammy awards. 

"Mother And Child Reunion" was on this album (also great):

PaulSimon-Front.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Why were they bad?

The first show included routine performing of the album Graceland.  The 2nd show was much more recent and a dreadfully hot night ... with lots of booze!  Freebies on the premises from my friend who worked there me and my other friend had bought tickets for the show but retreated from the venue because of the oppressive heat.  The show again was uninspired, but it was so damned hot, to be fair, I don't blame PAUL

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

If I remember right, Still Crazy After All These Years was well received.  I never paid much attention to Grammy awards. 

"Mother And Child Reunion" was on this album:

PaulSimon-Front.jpg

I'm conflating two memories. The broadcast I thought he said that on would have been for 1971. He said it in 1976. Award shows were still television events in those days. For me anyway.

37 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

The first show included routine performing of the album Graceland.  The 2nd show was much more recent and a dreadfully hot night ... with lots of booze!  Freebies on the premises from my friend who worked there me and my other friend had bought tickets for the show but retreated from the venue because of the oppressive heat.  The show again was uninspired, but it was so damned hot, to be fair, I don't blame PAUL

Booze, Si, Heat No

43 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

https://youtu.be/kP1AFDDJoeE

Loved the movie (Color of Money) - great song by Clapton and Robbie Robertson.  And, since there is a thread devoted to him, what else can I say (Paul Newman)!

It is good hearing that one again.  This version has Clapton miming a performance with his black strat in all his 80s splendor, mixed with some footage - and  a little sound - from the movie. 

Wiki quotes an unsourced item from Songfacts that says Robertson was in charge of the music for the movie, but Warners would not let him sing any of his songs because he still owed them an album. Fact is, Robbie can't sing. And he knows it.  But a great song and very well delivered by Clapton.

Paul McCartney & Wings-Band on the Run album cover.jpg

Band On The Run by Paul McCartney And Wings -Dec 1973

A great album, best so far for Paul. It started off with drummer Denny Seiwell and guitarist Henry McCullough quitting the band before recording began in Nigeria. Denny Laine took over lead guitar and Paul supplied the drums. The first song, the title track is my favorite. It starts off gently with the story of being imprisoned then explodes into main part of the song where the band escapes and goes on the run. Great drumming by Paul on this, a #1 hit single. "Jet" a thundering piece, was another hit, great and catchy chorus. "Bluebird" is one of Paul most beautiful in years. Some great acoustic guitar strumming on "Mrs Vanderbilt with a good "Ho Hey Ho" chorus. "Let Me Roll It" is an interesting song, a repetitive guitar riff and simple lyrics. It was thought to be an imitation of John Lennon's solo style, but Paul has denied that and I can't hear it myself. Side 2 starts with the melodic "Mamunia" one of the best songs I ever heard about rain. Since this is the US album version, we get the bonus of the hit single "Helen Wheels" on here, a great rocker about Paul's car. "Picasso's Last Words" is an interesting song with the painter's final words "Drink to me, drink to my health, you know I can't drink anymore". It has a collage of sounds along with reprises of "Jet" and "Mrs Vanderbilt". Some great piano playing on the final song "Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five". 

When my granddaughter was a toddler she used to sit in my lap as I watched videos on the PC. She would sit transfixed on this one and demand replays. 

Now she's a middle schooler and swears she has no recollection whatsoever of this video.

4 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

When my granddaughter was a toddler she used to sit in my lap as I watched videos on the PC. She would sit transfixed on this one and demand replays. 

I saw SIMPLE MINDS open for PRETENDERS in 1984.   That was a great show. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

I saw SIMPLE MINDS open for PRETENDERS in 1984.   That was a great show. 

Was that before they hit? Or just after? I saw the Pretenders open or The Who at American Airlines Center in 2006. They were still impressive. 

10 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Band On The Run by Paul McCartney And Wings -Dec 1973

A great album, best so far for Paul.

Without doubt, PAUL's best album.  I'd guess you'd noticed that JAMES COBURN and CHRISTOPHER LEE are on the cover.  "Bluebird" is on a summer mix I listen to, so I hear that most often. 

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Was that before they hit? Or just after? I saw the Pretenders open or The Who at American Airlines Center in 2006. They were still impressive. 

No, it was PRETENDERS Learning To Crawl tour, 1984, I think SIMPLE MINDS' big hit came the next year. 

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

No, it was PRETENDERS Learning To Crawl tour, 1984, I think SIMPLE MINDS' big hit came the next year. 

Yes I remembered 85 as being the year of Don't You Forget About Me. I remember Jim Kerr quoted by a local jock as saying they weren't changing their sound, that their hit song was "just for the movie." I thought, they're selling records at last and apologizing for it? 

9 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Without doubt, PAUL's best album.  I'd guess you'd noticed that JAMES COBURN and CHRISTOPHER LEE are on the cover.  "Bluebird" is on a summer mix I listen to, so I hear that most often. 

I think it was his best up to this point. I will continue reviewing all his solo stuff in the coming days and weeks since I own everything he has done. There are two that I like even more. 

Yes, Coburn and Lee are the two most famous ones. British chat show host Michael Parkinson is the only other one that I am familiar with.

3 drawings split vertically, with the text (going from L-R) "John Lennon June 1952 Age 11 Walls and Bridges" at the top

Walls And Bridges by John Lennon -Sep 1974

A good Lennon album, his best since Imagine, though still cannot match the brilliance of that one. He is helped by some old friends like bassist Klaus Vorrmann and pianist Nicky Hopkins who worked with him on his best material. The vinyl came with a booklet of all the lyrics and some of his childhood artwork. He seems to be finding some happy times he had instead of the pain and fear he showed on Plastic Ono Band. The opener "Going Down On Love" shows some sadness over his recent separation from Yoko. "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night" is a jaunty song with Elton John singing harmony and playing piano. It would become John's first solo #1 single. "Old Dirt Road" is an OK cowboy type song. "What You Got" is an old style rocker where John screams out the lyrics. "Bless You" is a soothing, jazzy number with some tender lyrics. "Scared" is one of the more more introspective songs about fear and loneliness. Side 2 starts with the lush ballad "#9 Dream, which became the second hit single. The most interesting song on the album is "Steel And Glass". John can be heard at the beginning saying "here's a story of an old friend of mine" and voices are heard saying "Who is it? Who is it?" His addresses his target saying things like "Your teeth are clean, but your mind is capped, you leave your smell like an alley cat". Lennon later referred to this as a son of "How Do You Sleep?". He never revealed who it was about, but many feel it was the shady former Beatles manager Allen Klein. "Nobody Loves You" is a lament about show biz and money hustling. The last song is a short snippet of Lee Dorsey's old hit "Ya Ya" with son Julian playing drums.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

It would become John's first solo #1 single.

His only in USA? I know he appeared on stage with ELTON JOHN because they had a bet that it wouldn't go to #1...

BOB DYLAN Bringing It All Back Home

51t+vWFGZQL._SY450_.jpg

18 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Starting Over" in 1980 would become his only other USA #1 song

Of course you're right - it went to #1 the month after his death! 

The first time I cried when a famous person died was JOHN LENNON

Recently I've been listening to quite a bit of Perry Como and Nat King Cole. Also Ray Charles "Ain't That Love", Sam Cooke "Movin' and Groovin'", and some Louis Prima "Pennies From Heaven". You can tell I have been missing Lindy Hop dances quite a bit since Covid began! >.<

• Haha 1