Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Recorded at Sun Studios in late 1987, with the Memphis Horns, U2's tribute to Billie Holiday.

Not sure why Bono has a guitar, unless he just liked wearing it while he sang. Maybe to be like Elvis. Doesn't seem to be audible.

12 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Recorded at Sun Studios in late 1987, with the Memphis Horns, U2's tribute to Billie Holiday.

Not sure why Bono has a guitar, unless he just liked wearing it while he sang. Maybe to be like Elvis. Doesn't seem to be audible.

It can help with ones timing as a singer to play rhythm guitar.    But that is just for me;   My guess is that Bono wants to be like Elvis (ha ha).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It can help with ones timing as a singer to play rhythm guitar.    But that is just for me;   My guess is that Bono wants to be like Elvis (ha ha).

I find it quite difficult to play and sing usually but the rhythm is so square here, yes it might be helpful to keep time with a guitar. Plus it looks dam cool for the movie. He's a hell of a foot stomper, too. 

16 hours ago, Natalie Webb said:

Recently I've been listening to quite a bit of Perry Como and Nat King Cole. Also Ray Charles "Ain't That Love", Sam Cooke "Movin' and Groovin'", and some Louis Prima "Pennies From Heaven". You can tell I have been missing Lindy Hop dances quite a bit since Covid began! >.<

I have CDs of all of them.  The  one I like best is LOUIS PRIMA - "Old Black Magic"...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I have CDs of all of them.  The  one I like best is LOUIS PRIMA - "Old Black Magic"...

Oh, I do love Louis Prima! Pennies from heaven and Just a gigalo are two of my favorites, and I had all but forgotten that he sang this version of That Old Black Magic! What a great rendition! I have to say, this song always reminds me of Jerry Lewis in The Nutty Professor singing that song as Buddy Love

• Like 2

VenusandMarsalbumcover.jpg 

Venus And Mars by Wings -Jun 1975

Paul and Linda McCartney and Denny Laine welcome two new members to the group-Jimmy McCulloch on guitar and Joe English on drums. The first song is the haunting title track which segues into a great rocker "Rock Show". "Love In Song" is one of Paul's most beautiful melodies in a long time. "You Gave Me The Answer" is a good Cole Porter type song, one of my favorites on the record, Paul sings it in kind of a Fred Astaire voice. "Magneto And Titanium Man" is an entertaining tribute to comic book superheroes. "Letting Go" is great ending to Side 1 with some very good guitar playing and terrific horn arrangement. Side 2 is not as good as the first. A reprise of "Venus And Mars" is one of the better ones with some outer worldly lyrics and sounds. Paul gives Laine a chance on lead vocals on one of his lesser songs "Spirits Of Ancient Egypt". McCulloch sings his own composition "Medicine Jar" about a pill popping junkie. It's a pretty good song but seems out of place on this fanciful and mostly light hearted record. "Call Me Back Again" seems like a throwaway, it's long and repetitive. The best song is "Listen To What The Man Said" a catchy #1 pop hit, it has a sax solo from Tom Scott. The last song is "Treat Her Gently-Lonely Old People" which is a bit dull not as tuneful as some of the other songs on here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The last song is "Treat Her Gently-Lonely Old People" which is a bit dull not as tuneful as some of the other songs on here. 

And that absurd sticky treacle is the reason I do not have a copy of this album, which I overall like very much.  That "Treat 'er Gently" crap works my nerves. 

McCulloch sings his own composition "Medicine Jar" about a pill popping junkie.

JIMMY's song "Wino Junko" on the next album is  like "Medicine Jar" - weirdly prescient. 

I have an anniversary edition that contains a few extra numbers, "Pure and Easy" being one. I can see why they might have thought it doesn't quite fit the set, but I'm very happy I have it.

One thing that always strikes me about Pete is his gift for getting maximum musical value from the simplest guitar elements. You can have limited guitar experience and still play much of his repertoire. 

9 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I have an anniversary edition that contains a few extra numbers, "Pure and Easy" being one. I can see why they might have thought it doesn't quite fit the set, but I'm very happy I have it

That's what I was listening to and the "bonus" selections were wisely left off of that perfect record. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

That's what I was listening to and the "bonus" selections were wisely left off of that perfect record. 

Put it on the platter, let it play. Turn it over and do it again. Not many records you can do that with. No needle-dropping necessary.

41 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Put it on the platter, let it play. Turn it over and do it again. Not many records you can do that with. No needle-dropping necessary.

I was never a big WHO fan, though I had 3 or 4 on vinyl, the only one I had to own on CD was Who's Next.  There aren't too many that had a record like that for me that holds up forever. 

A black-and-white photo of Lennon leaning up against a brick wall

Rock 'N" Roll by John Lennon -Mar 1975

John does some old 1950s favorites. It's one of his weaker albums, but a few songs are pretty good. But none are as good as the originals, or as good as some Beatles covers John sang like "Rock and Roll Music" or "Bad Boy". The first is Gene Vincent's "Be Bop A Lula" which is OK. The best song is Ben E King's "Stand By Me" which has John's best singing on the record, it became a top 20 hit. Phil Spector produced a few of the songs then quit. Two of these were remakes of Chuck Berry classics. Spector's production drowns out John' s voice on "You Can't Catch Me" and "Sweet Little Sixteen" is slowed down and has a big horn arrangement which kills the fun and charm of the song. Side 2 starts with one of the better ones - Little Richard's "Slippin And Slidin" with some good drumming. John does a good imitation of Buddy Holly's voice on "Peggy Sue". The last song is a remake of Lloyd Price's "Just Because" though John does a lot talking rather than singing on it.

• Thanks 1

Here's a good Friday night song for you, and from a pretty fair rock and roll showman. This one is more fun when you can sing along.

I still remember it was autumn and the moon was shining
Our '60 Cadillac was rolling through Nebraska whining
Doing a hundred twenty, man, the fields was bending over
Heading out for the mountains knowing we was travelling further
All the pipes was blazing and the spinning wheels were turning turning
Had my girl beside me, brother brother, she was burning burning

Up walked a Baptist preaching southern funky school teacher
She had a line on something heavy but we couldn't reach her
We told her that we needed something that would get us going
She pulled out all she had and laid it on the counter showing
All I had to do was lay my money down and pick it up
The cops came busting in and man we lit out in a pickup truck

And go!
Get out of Denver, better go, go
Get out of Denver, better go
Get out of Denver 'cause you look just like a commie and you might just be a member
Better get out of Denver
Better get out of Denver

Well, red lights were flashing and the sirens were a-screaming screaming
We had to pinch each other just to see if we was dreaming
Made it to Loveland Pass in under less than half an hour
Lord, it started drizzling and it turned into a thundershower

The rain was dropping but the Caddy kept on burning rubber
We kept on driving till we ran into some fog cover
We couldn't see a thing but somehow we just kept on going
We kept on driving all night long and then into the morning
Fog had finally lifted when we looked to see where we was at
We're staring at a Colorado state policeman trooper cat

And go!
Get out of Denver, better go
Get out of Denver 'cause you look just like a commie and you might just be a member
Better get out of Denver
Better get out of Denver
Better go, go

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I like BOB SEGER.

I saw three Seger shows between 76 and 80 I think, and though I can't recall if he always opened with "Nutbush" I remember it was a highlight. Here's one more from Live Bullet.

So many good recordings from him, but my local classic rock station has ruined Turn the Page and Against the Wind with overplay. I wish they'd go back to these tracks, or even Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser.

Wings at the Speed of Sound album cover.png 

Wings At The Speed Of Sound-Mar 1976

One of Paul McCartney and Wings more lightweight albums, but pleasant to listen to. It was a huge seller in the USA, staying at #1 for 7 weeks. The first song is a #3 single "Let 'Em In" with simple lyrics of someone at the door, wanting to let them in, good musicianship. Denny Laine sings "The Note You Never Wrote" and it is a good one. "She's My Baby" is an innocuous but OK song. "Beware My Love" is pretty good but too long. Jimmy McCulloch sings his own song "Wino Junko" yet another song about addiction, ironically  he would die of morphine and alcohol poisoning just 3 years later. Side 2 starts with the #1 smash "Silly Love Songs" more simple lyrics but great instrumentation. Paul does some of his best bass playing and I like the interweaving vocals of Paul, Linda and Denny. Linda does her own song "Cook Of The House", best thing I can say about this is she is a better singer than Yoko. Paul gives an ordinary song "Must Do Something About It" to drummer Joe English to sing, and he has an ordinary voice. "San Ferry Anne" is Paul singing again and this is has a nice folk ballad melody. My favorite on the album is the last "Warm And Beautiful" which is Paul at his best, a touching love song with one of his prettiest melodies.

• Haha 1

"Warm And Beautiful" which is Paul at his best, a touching love song with one of his prettiest melodies.

I was over WINGS At The Speed Of Sound for decades because of that song - more sugar-coated sincerity.  Ick.  I had listened to the album for months not too long ago.  I actually like the Paul not singing songs, and the song I once thought well of "Beware My Love" is indeed overlong.  "Silly Love Songs" does have a terrific bass line and has not worn out as much as I'd have expected after all this time.   "Let 'Em In" I owned on 45 before the album, still like it. 

• Thanks 1