Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

I have the CD with Bob James and Earl Klugh called "Cool."

The closest I could find was this Bob James live recording.

Meet Stephane Grapelli's and Django Reinhardt's Quintette du Hot Club de France in this 1939 short film, featuring J'attendrai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY&feature=related

Here's a recording of Django playing electric guitar with Duke Ellington's orchestra several years later, and not many years before Django's untimely death at age 43. Honeysuckle Rose

And Stephane's 1987 recording of Kern's All the Things You Are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXqwlabQQ4s&feature=related

I could listen to these guys all day long. It was nice to see them this morning with Dick Powell in *Broadway Gondolier*. Here is a continuous mix of *Mills Brothers* songs:

CA loves them. My daughter even wants their version of "Daddy's Little Girl" at her wedding, whenever that will be.

Aww! That's so sweet!

I was wrong about the youtube mix - it changes over after a few songs - not all Mills Brothers. :(

Still, they are adorable in those first two clips! Here's more.

Here's the best I found on youtube.

It's amazing what you can do with a guitar and three voices. It makes me laugh that the replies to the first one are arguing about whether there is a trumpet or a kazoo playing. It's all done vocally.

Nice stuff!

I am a big fan of the Mills Brothers and have many of their early '30s Brunswick recordings in my collection.

Here's another interesting group, it does features a kazoo (a comb with tissue paper in this case).

Listening to Bobby Darin's version of Mack the Knife, followed by Hazy Shade of Winter by the Bangles, These Boots Were Made for Walking by Nancy Sinatra and several songs by Green Day. My playlist is a little eclectic today.

Great choice, Scottman! I love the *Mound City Blue Blowers* - I had to look them up one day a year or two ago, after seeing them on TCM in between movies one day. They are fantastic. I think it's great that they play suitcase and whisk broom.

I wish I could hear your collection - you have great taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DlbWzawHV8&feature=related

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 26, 2011 4:54 PM

Putting together a collection of adagios for a friend. Some traditional things but also some things I went to find just to mix it up.

Barber's Adagio for Strings

Copland's "Our Town."

Mahler's Adagio from his 5th Symphony

Beethoven - string arrangement of his String Quartet, Op 131 (1st movement.)

Elgar - Elegy

Dvorak - Serenade, Op. 22

Haydn - Adagio from Cello Concerto No. 1

JackFavell, I remember once your saying you liked XTC. One of their most unusual songs ( and these guys specialized in unusual) is Green Man, from their "Apple Venus" album. This is an amazing song, with very sophisticated arrangements and an almost eerie rhythmic sound. The lyrics are as strange and mysterious as the music- very pagan and strange.

I love Green Man! It's a favorite... and very appropriate for this time of year too....everything is starting to grow and the trees are budding out, grass is turning back to green.

Can I be so old that I don't have any idea who they are? Wait. Don't answer that.

For Wendy's spring wishes I was thinking this -

Thanks. I remember when it was a hit. I think I have someone else's arrangement on some sheet music but it was hard not to play it like this recording.