Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

8 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I was over WINGS At The Speed Of Sound for decades because of that song - more sugar-coated sincerity.  Ick.  I had listened to the album for months not too long ago.  I actually like the Paul not singing songs, and the song I once thought well of "Beware My Love" is indeed overlong.  "Silly Love Songs" does have a terrific bass line and has not worn out as much as I'd have expected after all this time.   "Let 'Em In" I owned on 45 before the album, still like it. 

At the Speed of Sound was actually the only Wings album I ever considered buying. It was heavily promoted. I ultimately passed, probably because I associated it with Top 40 at a time when I was looking to build an album collection. I steered clear of Elton John LPs for the same reason, then years later went back and bought many second-hand. That had been a mistake.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

At the Speed of Sound was actually the only Wings album I ever considered buying. It was heavily promoted. I ultimately passed, probably because I associated it with Top 40 at a time when I was looking to build an album collection. I steered clear of Elton John LPs for the same reason, then years later went back and bought many second-hand. That had been a mistake.

The first album I bought myself was ELTON JOHN ...I was 11 or 12... I also bought a lot of WINGS, and Greatest Hits collections of many artists, stuff now I am less inclined to listen to.   In my youth, I listened to MOR and Oldies radio. 

• Like 1

When AOR radio came around on the FM stations (with the jocks who spoke as if they were half stoned? Remember those guys?) and around the time of Physical Graffiti's release, that's when I began seriously building an LP collection. Prior to that I bought 45s and a few LPs, the very first being Don McClean. I did have Elton's first compilation album. At least I think if was his first, with the white suit and cane photo. 

32 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

When AOR radio came around on the FM stations (with the jocks who spoke as if they were half stoned? Remember those guys?) and around the time of Physical Graffiti's release, that's when I began seriously building an LP collection. Prior to that I bought 45s and a few LPs, the very first being Don McClean. I did have Elton's first compilation album. At least I think if was his first, with the white suit and cane photo. 

I was listening to AOR by the mid '70s, seguing to lots of Prog and by the end of the decade Punk and/or New Wave.  By 1980 I was looking for OOP albums that were always hard to find.   I remember the DJs you refer to, there were 2 main AOR stations out of NYC, one was WPLJ the other probably WNEW and DJs like Carol Miller or Scott Muni ("Scottso") lots of others...

• Like 1

London Town.jpg

London Town by Wings -Mar 1978

1977-1978 were bleak years for Lennon and McCartney fans. John had released anything since 1975 and we had to wait 2 years for Paul to come up with this disappointing album. Jimmy McCulloch and Joe English are credited with playing on this album but they quit the band before it was finished. The photos on the cover and on a poster have only Paul, Linda and ever faithful Denny Laine. The first song is the title tune, it's OK but makes you rather listen to "Penny Lane" again instead. "I'm Carrying" is a nice acoustic tune about bringing home presents for family. "Children Children" is pretty good too sung by Laine, a children's song about playing in the forest. "Girlfriend" was later covered by Michael Jackson, here Paul sings in falsetto that does not quite work. "With A Little Luck" was a #1 song, pleasant enough easy listening pop but did not need to be 5:45 minutes long. "Name And Address" sounds like an old Elvis Presley type tune, Paul plays standup bass on it. The last and least song was "Morse Moose And The Grey Goose" a boring 6 minute track about a sinking ship.

• Like 1

BackEggCover.jpg

Back To The Egg by Wings-Jun 1979

This would turn out to be Paul McCartney's last album with his band Wings, and he had just gotten two new members Laurence Juber on guitar and Steve Holly on drums. It's a pretty good record, definitely better than the last. "Reception" is the instrumental opener, good bass line on this. "Getting Closer" is a good pop hit, though it only got to #20 in the US. "Spin It On" is good fast tempo rocker, it was thought to be Paul trying punk music, the lyrics are far from nihilistic punk but the the driving beat seems to imitate the musical style. I like the tale of mysterious Orient on "Old Siam Sir" with some raspy vocals from Paul. "Arrow Through Me" is an OK midtempo pop/soul song. Side 2 starts with "Rockestra Theme, one of the better instrumental songs with some prominent rock stars like Pete Townshend, John Bonham and John Paul Jones. There is a medley of two songs "After The Ball/Million Miles", I liked the use of a concertina on the second one. There is another better medley "Winter Rose/Love Awake" which starts with a haunting melody and eerie sounding vocals from Paul, the second part is another of Paul's many sweet love songs. My favorite song on the album is the last "Baby's Request" a Hoagy Carmichael type song with some warm, relaxing singing by Paul.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:53 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

PaulMcCartneyalbum - McCartneyII.jpg

McCartney II by Paul McCartney -May 1980

Paul's second totally solo album where he plays all the instruments and voices (additional vocals by wife Linda again), 10 years after the first one. It's a pretty good album, better than the first but not one of his best, The first song "Coming Up" is a funky number with some good rhythm guitars. "Temporary Secretary" has Paul playing around with synthesizers, the song is just OK. Another fair track is the bluesy "On The Way" with a lot of echo. Another outstanding track is "Waterfalls" which has a beautiful melody and Paul singing in a plaintive voice, which he keeps under control. Side 2 has a couple of forgettable instrumentals-"Front Parlour" and "Frozen J a p". The inside lyrics sleeve tells us the song "Bogey Music" was inspired by a 1977 novel "Fungus The Bogeyman" by Raymond Briggs about a filthy creatures who live beneath the earth and hate music. It was helpful to know the back story but the song is goofy and not very good. My favorite track is the last "One Of These Days", a gentle, folky ballad about stop to look around and see what is right and good in the world. 

here is my review for McCartney II, so I have all the McCartney albums done in chronological order

• Like 1

JohnLennon-albums-doublefantasy.jpg

Double Fantasy by John Lennon and Yoko Ono -Nov 1980

Five years after the last Lennon record and his songs on here are among some of his best. Yoko also has the same amount of songs as John but hers are not too bad, her songwriting seems to have improved but her singing has not. Best of her songs is the last "Hard Times Are Over" a gospel flavored tune where John sings in harmony with her and a choir helps out on the chorus. Now on to John's songs. The first "Starting Over" is a joyous pop rocker with John having a good time doing his Elvis imitation. It went to #1. "Cleanup Time" is an interesting look into John in his house husband phase ("The queen is in the counting home, counting all the money, the king is in the kitchen, making bread and honey"). "I'm Losing You" is one of the more raw and emotional songs as John talks of anger and frustration about being reminded of "bad stuff". "Beautiful Boy" is John's loving tribute to son Sean, he sings it in his warmest voice and it is achingly poignant as we hear him whisper at the end "Good night Sean, see you in the morning...". Side 2 has a great explanation of why he took time off from the music business with the top ten hit "Watching The Wheels". "Woman" is another tender apology to Yoko, almost as good as "Jealous Guy", it became as #2 hit. His final song on the album is "Dear Yoko" another song devoted to his wife, he sings it in Buddy Holly style. 

• Thanks 1

PaulMcCartneyalbum - TugOfWar.jpg

Tug Of War by Paul McCartney -May 1982

A significant album in many ways. It was Paul's first album in six years to hit #1, his first since the death of John Lennon and reunited him with producer George Martin. I believe it is his best work since The Beatles. It starts with the title song, which soars with great orchestration. "Take It Away" became a top ten hit, Ringo Starr plays drums. "Somebody Who Cares" is a nice ballad with Paul playing some great Spanish guitar. He then duets with Stevie Wonder on a terrific funky R&B number "What's That You're Doing". Paul plays most of the instruments including some great drumming. Wonder sings his usual great soulful way and Paul gets right down with him on the vocals. "Here Today" is the extremely moving tribute to Lennon, as Paul tries to imagine what John would say if he were here, backed by a plaintive string quartet. Side 2 opens with a rollicking "Ballroom Dancing" with some wild shouts by Paul. "The Pound Is Sinking" is a good song  about money matters, well sung in different sections. "Wanderlust" is an elegant ballad on the piano. Paul has a duet with another musical favorite of his, Carl Perkins. It is good natured rockabilly song ending with Perkins laughing hysterically. "Be What You See" is a short eerie sounding link with vocoder. "Dress Me Up As A Robber" is an entertaining "new wave" style song. The final song is the #1 smash single "Ebony And Ivory" which also features Stevie Wonder. I first thought it was just a simplistic plea for racial harmony but it grew on me and I like it now.

On 3/1/2021 at 3:20 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

here is my review for McCartney II, so I have all the McCartney albums done in chronological order

I remember he was on SNL where I think he performed Coming Up, or played the video. It was not long after his bust and jail time in Japan for grass. Don Novello, as Father **** Sarducci, interviewed him and asked questions like, is it easier to write music when your high? Do you get better ideas when your high? Do you get high often? Stuff like that, you get the idea. The gag was Paul trying to get him off the subject of getting high. 

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I remember he was on SNL where I think he performed Coming Up, or played the video. It was not long after his bust and jail time in Japan for grass. Don Novello, as Father **** Sarducci, interviewed him and asked questions like, is it easier to write music when your high? Do you get better ideas when your high? Do you get high often? Stuff like that, you get the idea. The gag was Paul trying to get him off the subject of getting high. 

Yes, I remember that also, a funny sketch. Father Sarducci asks him what kind of animal would he like to be. Paul answers koala bear. Sarducci says "Yeah, they like to get high on eucalyptus leaves!"

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, I remember that also, a funny sketch. Father Sarducci asks him what kind of animal would he like to be. Paul answers koala bear. Sarducci says "Yeah, they like to get high on eucalyptus leaves!"

I found the audio. It was a running gag that night with **** standing in front of Paul's building trying to get him to come out and talk. He says to the audience that he learned a trick from rona barrett about throwing rocks at the window. "Worksa every time."

Edit: **** is bad now?

Edit 2: I'm ready to check out of the 21st century. One of us is a little hypersensitive and I don't think it's me.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I found the audio. It was a running gag that night with **** standing in front of Paul's building trying to get him to come out and talk. He says to the audience that he learned a trick from rona barrett about throwing rocks at the window. "Worksa every time."

Edit: **** is bad now?

Edit 2: I'm ready to check out of the 21st century. One of us is a little hypersensitive and I don't think it's me.

Yes,   it looks like ****  (g-u-i-d-o) can't be posted since it is defined as a ethnic slur.      Note that this site uses software and it often goes off in odd directions.

E.g.  the Chester Morris serial;  Boston B-l-a-c-k-i-e.     For some reason Boston ******* doesn't have the same ring to it! 

• Like 1
Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,   it looks like ****  (g-u-i-d-o) can't be posted since it is defined as a ethnic slur.      Note that this site uses software and it often goes off in odd directions.

E.g.  the Chester Morris serial;  Boston B-l-a-c-k-i-e.     For some reason Boston ******* doesn't have the same ring to it! 

Jesus