• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

On 2/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, Allhallowsday said:

One of the very greatest Rock n' Roll albums THE WHO Who's Next 

R-487464-1587376240-4941.jpeg.jpg

What a stunner!  What a cover...

This is in my news feed today, an item from Entertainment Weekly where Pete discusses Who LP covers. Of Who's Next, he says:

"It’s another piece of s—. I hate it. It’s a horrible thing. Just horrible. Of course I don’t like it. It’s got no artistic consequence whatsoever. No link to the music. It’s meaningless. It’s four guys stopping in a car and **** up against a chunk of concrete. It was photographed by a very fine photographer in Ethan Russell, who, thank God, I really liked and used again for Quadrophenia, but I hate the front cover, I hate the back cover, I think it’s disgusting. I suppose the notion was that 2001: A Space Odyssey was the film of the moment [and we’re] **** over this 2001 monolith — which is even stupider because I think we all thought the film was fabulous. There’s no irony in it, there’s no truth in it. Anyway, can we move on?”

PaulMcCartneyalbum - Pipesofpeace.jpg

Pipes Of Peace by Paul McCartney -Oct 1983

Paul follows up his greatest album with one of his weakest. The best song is the first, the title song which has some great orchestration and good lyrics. "Say Say Say' was a smash #1 duet with Michael Jackson, it is a catchy 80s tune. It starts getting dull with "The Other Me", Paul lets out a big sigh when singing on it, he sounds pretty bored with it too. "So Bad" is love song sung entirely in falsetto, he probably should have just given it to Michael Jackson. Ringo Starr plays drums on it. Side 2 starts with another McCartney/Jackson duet 'The Man" which is just OK. One of the better songs is "Sweetest Little Show" with great acoustic guitar playing and Paul's most confident singing on the record. It ends with one of Paul's most forgettable love songs "Through Our Love".

JohnLennon-albums-milkandhoney.jpg

Milk And Honey by John Lennon and Yoko Ono-Jan 1984

A posthumous album of John's songs 3 years after his murder. There are 6 by him and 6 by Yoko. Hers are not so good but "Let Me Count The Ways" based on Elizabeth Barrett Browing's poem is OK. John's songs were leftovers from the Double Fantasy sessions, he used his best stuff on that album but there are good ones here. "I'm Stepping Out" starts thing off as house husband John looks to have some fun in NYC. This and some others show how happy and light hearted he was at the time. "I Don't Want To Face It" has some good lyrics-"You wanna save humanity, but it's people you can't stand". My favorite song is "Nobody Told Me" a jaunty rocker which became a #5 hit single. "Borrowed Time" is an interesting song about aging. "My Little Flower Princess" is another sincere apology song for his selfishness. "Grow Old Along With Me" is a demo based on a Robert Browning poem. It is beautifully sung and the rough raw version makes it more poignant. 

• Like 1

The record, "Mull Of Kintyre"  made no real impact in the USA, but was and remains a HUGE hit in Britain, and beloved.  The only reason this Yank knew it was in those days I bought WINGS albums like GREATEST which had a few singles hits that I did not own on album..

s-l500.jpg

14 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

The record, "Mull Of Kintyre"  made no real impact in the USA, but was and remains a HUGE hit in Britain, and beloved.  The only reason this Yank knew it was in those days I bought WINGS albums like GREATEST which had a few singles hits that I did not own on album..

The "B" side was "Girl's School" a rocker that was more promoted in the US, however it only got to #33 on the charts.

BroadStreetCover.jpg

Give My Regards To Broad Street by Paul McCartney-Oct 1984

A soundtrack to the dull film of the same name with Paul and Ringo Starr reunited on screen. The movie is not worth seeing (the plot concerns missing master tapes from Pau's new album, not very interesting) but this is an OK collection of new songs and rerecording of some Beatles classics. The first is a great ballad "No More Lonely Nights" which became a top ten single. This album could almost be called McCartney's Revolver since he redoes 4 out his 5 songs from that record. "Here There And Everywhere", "Good Day Sunshine", "For No One" and "Eleanor Rigby" are done in new OK versions, not as good as the originals. He does a nice new version of "Yesterday" with some muted brass. "Not Such A Bad Boy" is a good new rocker, funny moment as he is heard saying "Should we try Not Such A Bad Boy?" and Ringo replies "Do we 'ave to?" One big disappointment is the new version of 'The Long And Winding Road" which Paul constantly complained about what producer Phil Spector did to the original, but here he gives us a glitzy Vegas version with saxophone which doesn't work any better. The last song is a playout version of "No More Lonely Nights" but it is not as good as the ballad.

Paul McCartney Press to Play.jpg

Press To Play by Paul McCartney -Aug 1986

This was Paul's lowest charting album up to this point, only getting to #30. But it is a pretty good record, definitely better than his last two. He co wrote 6 of the ten songs with Eric Stewart (of 10cc). "Stranglehold" is a good opener with some walloping snare drum. "Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun" is a catchy medley, written by Paul alone. My favorite on the album is the McCartney/Stewart song "Footprints". It has a haunting melody and sets a great scene of a working man going home in the snow. It is one of Paul's best songs in years, perfect to listen to on cold, snowy night. Side 1 ends with an OK Paul love song "Only Love Remains". Side 2 starts with the pretty good pop song "Press" which was a minor hit, only reaching #21. "Move Over Busker" is a fun song about street musicians. "Angry" is an interesting change of pace for Paul as he lashes out at critics with lyrics like "What the hell gives you the right to tell me what to do with my life?" Unfortunately he sounds more shrill than angry on here. "However Absurd" is an OK closer, another of Paul's love songs with some good orchestration.

I always liked Press To Play better than most everyone. It is certainly an improvement over Pipes of Peace. Most everyone didn't like Talk, More Talk but even with the electronic drums I still think it as an interesting tune.

FlowersDirtCover.jpg

Flowers In The Dirt by Paul McCartney-Jun 1989

A very good album, Paul's best since Tug Of War 7 years ago. We American fans had to wait 3 years since his last Press To Play. It was also the album he was promoting when I saw him at Madison Square Garden in Dec 1989. The first song is "My Brave Face" one of 4 songs he co wrote with Elvis Costello, it's good pop song but only got to #25 on the charts. "You Want Her Too" is good duet with Costello, Paul takes the part of a romantic while Elvis is the more sarcastic cynic as they both want the same girl. "Distractions" is a soothing ballad with great string arrangements. "We Got Married" tells a nice tale of his marriage. "Put It There" is a nice short charming song which was inspired by his father. Side 2 starts with a good rocker "Figure Of Eight" which is the one he opened with in his live show. My favorite track is "This One" one of Paul's catchiest pop songs in years. "That Day Is Done" is an interesting one he wrote with Costello with a morbid ending. "How Many People" is a nice reggae flavored tune about hope for a better world. Paul dedicated this to Chico Mendes-Brazilian Rain Forest Campaigner. The last song is an OK hymn like love song "Motor Of Love".

CHOBA B CCCP (Back in the USSR)

Choba B CCCP (the russian album) by Paul McCartney -Oct 1991

Originally released only in Russia in 1988,  it was finally out in the USA 3 years later. It's a good collection of rock and roll covers, with a small band of guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. The opener is "Kansas City" which has lyrics closer to the Wilbert Harrison version than the Beatles 1964 take which followed Little Richard's. However Paul still sticks in the "Hey Hey Hey) part. 'Twenty Flight Rock" is an Eddie Cochran favorite that Paul loved since he was a teenager and his admiration for it still shows. "Bring It On Home To Me" was also done on John Lennon's Rock n Roll album but Paul's version is better, though not as good as the Sam Cooke original. One of the best songs is a great cover of Fats Domino's "I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday", Paul's voice is especially strong on this. Another good Domino song on here is "Ain't That A Shame" which Lennon also did, Paul does better on this one too, almost as good as Domino's original. Paul has a lot of fun with his Elvis Presley imitation on "That's All Right Mama". My favorite track is "Crackin' Up" an obscure Bo Diddley song with fine singing and great organ playing. The last song is a pretty good version of the folk/blues classic "Midnight Special".

Off the Ground.jpg

Off The Ground by Paul McCartney -Feb 1993

A good collection of new original material, 4 years after the last one. The title song opens the CD and it is OK, nice melody. The next "Looking For Changes" is a song against animals in testing labs, it is very literal and this makes it a weaker song. My favorite one on here is "Hope Of Deliverance" a great wish for better things in the world, I love the Latin flavored guitars and I think this ranks with some of Paul's best. "Mistress And Maid" is an interesting song about how the spark goes out of a marriage, co written with Elvis Costello. Paul tries an edgy story song about a girl going off with a biker in "Biker Like An Icon", but doesn't quite work. "Peace In The Neighbourhood" is a pretty good plea for peace. "Get Out Of My Way" is a good old style rocker. The final song is "C'mon People", yet another song about peace, it goes on for 7 minutes and it is just OK. It is sort of like McCartney's version of John Lennon's peace protest period.