Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Fine recording of a great song, but an embarrassingly self-indulgent video. 

It takes a careful eye but if you watch closely you can see the horse going up on its hind legs! 

Flaming Pie.jpg

Flaming Pie by Paul McCartney-May 1997

It was 4 years since Paul's last album and it was worth the wait. This is his best solo album so far. It came after the great Beatles Anthology, he plays most of the instruments and gets some help from a few famous friends. The CD comes with a booklet of all the lyrics and Paul's thoughts on each song. The opener "The Song We Were Singing" is a great one, it was inspired by the way he recorded back in the 1960s, his voice sounds better then ever and is upfront in the mix. "The World Tonight" has great lyrics and melody, he is joined by Jeff Lynne on these first two tracks. Paul is helped by Steve Miller on the next song "If You Wanna" a good song about driving across America. "Somedays" is a hauntingly beautiful song with Paul on guitars and bass with some muted strings and flutes arrangement (by George Martin). It's hard for me to pick a favorite but "Young Boy" is such great catchy tune, with strumming guitars and again with Miller on electric guitar. "Calico Skies" is just Paul on guitar and a simple but very touching love song. The title song was inspired by John Lennon's joke about getting the name Beatles from a vision of a man on a flaming pie. "Heaven On A Sunday" was written while sailing on a small boat and it has nice, peaceful feel to it. Paul's son James plays guitar on it. Paul and Miller have some fun on "Used To Be Bad" with some blues riffs. "Souvenir" is good R&B song inspired by Wilson Pickett's music. "Little Willow" is a beautiful song written as a comfort for the children of someone who died. Paul does another fun R&B number "Really Love You", he does a great bass line and Ringo plays drums. "Beautiful Night" is nice elegant song on piano, Ringo is on drums again and can be heard on backing vocals at the end. It ends with another simple life affirming song "Great Day", Paul solo on guitar and Linda providing backing vocals, the last time she will be on record with him.

RunDevilRunCover.jpg

Run Devil Run by Paul McCartney-Oct 1999

A followup to his last and greatest album and the first one released after the death of his wife Linda. It's mostly a collection of cover songs and three originals. It is not one of his best, not even as good as The Russian Album, his last covers collection. "Blue Jean Bop" is an Gene Vincent song that opens the album, it is one of the better ones on here, very well performed. Paul does the Elvis Presley classic "All Shook Up" but not as good as the original. "Run Devil Run" is a McCartney original, done in Chuck Berry style, it's OK but Paul rushes through the lyrics. "Lonesome Town" is Paul doing a h on k y tonk version of Ricky Nelson's sad ballad, not as good as his either. "Try Not To Cry" is my favorite, a Paul original done in old school rocker style, as good as many 1950s hits. "Movie Magg" is an entertaining version of an obscure Carl Perkins song. "What It Is" is the last original song, a pretty forgettable bluesy number. "I Got Stung" is a good raucous version of the Elvis hit. "Shake A Hand" is a R&B song with good piano playing by Pete Wingfield. It ends with lesser known Elvis song "Party" which was in his movie Loving You.

DrivingRain.jpg

Driving Rain by Paul McCartney-Nov 2001

This CD was an interesting though not totally successful collection of new McCartney material. It starts off well with "Lonely Road" an introspective song of trying to get over loss. "From A Lover To A Friend" is another touching song about learning to trust and love again. "She's Given Up Talking" is an interesting story of a girl who talks a lot at home but shuts down at school. The title song is a fairly catchy one about going for a drive. "I Do" is a typical McCartney love song, quite well done. Many of the remaining songs are less memorable. "Spinning On An Axis" was co written with son James but it is pretty monotonous. "Heather" is for his new girl friend Heather Mills who would soon become his wife, the song is not too good. "Rinse The Raindrops" is a dull 10 minute song. There is a hidden track of "Freedom" a rousing song that Paul wrote after the 9/11 attacks. It has great guitar and handclaps and fine vocal from Paul. It could be considered his "Give Peace A Chance". 

Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard.jpg

Chaos And Creation In The Backyard by Paul McCartney- Sep 2005

Paul's first new CD in 4 years, the first since the death of George Harrison. He plays most of the instruments, occasionally backed by string or brass arrangements. "Fine Line" is the opener, an OK song with some pounding piano. "Jenny Wren" is a nice song about a bird like girl with a broken heart, mostly Paul on just guitar. "Friends To Go" is pretty good, Paul has said it was inspired by George Harrison, it does sound  a little bit like a George solo song. "English Tea" is one of the better ones, a sprightly tune about tea time, Paul plays the recorder on this one. "Riding To Vanity Fair" is musically one of the more pleasant ones, I like the string arrangement and the toy glockenspiel. "Anyway" is the one that ends it, a fair piano ballad. There is a hidden track of a forgettable instrumental.  This is not one of his best, but not bad. 

Memory Almost Full.jpg

Memory Almost Full by Paul McCartney-Jun 2007

A good new Paul CD, some good interesting stuff and one great track. The opener is the best "Dance Tonight" one of Paul's catchiest songs in years, great playing on the mandolin also. "See Your Sunshine" is a good love song, though this came out after he had gone into separation with his second wife Heather, they would divorce the next year. "You Tell Me" is nice nostalgic song about happier times. "Vintage Clothes" talks about not living in the past, it is a fun throwback 1960s song, sounding like the Summer Of Love era. "That Was Me" has Paul thinking of all the different personas he had in life. "The End Of The End" is a very haunting, spiritual song which he talks about the day he dies, he wants jokes and songs. The last song is quick little rocker "Nod Your Head".

Paul mccartney kisses on the bottom cover.png

Kisses On The Bottom by Paul McCartney-Feb 2012

A relaxing, very well done album of Paul doing jazz arrangements of old standards.  He had just come off of a nasty divorce with second wife Heather and found a new wife Nancy Shevell. The first song "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter" sets the mood. Diana Krall provides beautiful jazzy piano and there is gentle drumming with brushes by Karriem Riggins. "it's Only A Paper Moon" is one of the best, nice vocals by Paul, he mostly only sings on this record. "The Glory Of Love" has nice standup bass playing by John Clayton. "Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive'' is a good version of the Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer classic. Paul has an original song "My Valentine" which fits in nicely with the standards. "Inch Worm" has Paul on guitar and he sings in a clear high voice, helped by a children's choir. The last song is another original "Only Our Hearts", Stevie Wonder plays harmonica on it. 

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Paul mccartney kisses on the bottom cover.png

Kisses On The Bottom by Paul McCartney-Feb 2012

A relaxing, very well done album of Paul doing jazz arrangements of old standards.  He had just come off of a nasty divorce with second wife Heather and found a new wife Nancy Shevell. The first song "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter" sets the mood. Diana Krall provides beautiful jazzy piano and there is gentle drumming with brushes by Karriem Riggins. "it's Only A Paper Moon" is one of the best, nice vocals by Paul, he mostly only sings on this record. "The Glory Of Love" has nice standup bass playing by John Clayton. "Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive'' is a good version of the Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer classic. Paul has an original song "My Valentine" which fits in nicely with the standards. "Inch Worm" has Paul on guitar and he sings in a clear high voice, helped by a children's choir. The last song is another original "Only Our Hearts", Stevie Wonder plays harmonica on it. 

Wasn't this around the time music journals started calling him Macca? I'd never heard him called that before then suddenly every article I read on him used that Nick. Like he'd always been called that. Don't see it as much lately.

14 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Wasn't this around the time music journals started calling him Macca? I'd never heard him called that before then suddenly every article I read on him used that Nick. Like he'd always been called that. Don't see it as much lately.

I had a book called The Beatles: The Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler, it was published in the late 1970s. The authors called him Macca at that time. They weren't very complimentary about Paul's solo work either.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I had a book called The Beatles: The Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler, it was published in the late 1970s. The authors called him Macca at that time. They weren't very complimentary about Paul's solo work either.

Ah, then I simply wasn't paying attention. Even if I haven't been entirely enthused about his music, I have always found him to be very interesting, very affable, and I always tuned in to any interviews he gave when I found one. 

I did a search on the question and this discussion board appeared, which includes a post from a Liverpudlian who explained British nicknaming among school chums. He was always called Macca there. 

Paul McCartney - New.jpg

New by Paul McCartney-Oct 2013

Some good songs on here, some not so memorable but overall a good CD. "Save Us" is an attention grabbing rocker. "On My Way To Work" is a good Beatle-ish song, mostly about an average Englishman taking the bus to work, reminiscent of Paul's section on "A Day In The Life". "Early Days" recalls the times he and John Lennon first started writing songs and tried to get them heard. "New" is about finding his new love and now wife Nancy. My favorite song on here is "Everybody Out There" with a great catchy chorus that makes you want to sing along. The last is a old time bluesy number "Get Me Out Of Here". Then a hidden track comes on, a nice piano ballad called "Scared".