Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Cover of Paul McCartney's 'Egypt Station' album.jpg

Egypt Station by Paul McCartney-Sep 2018

Interesting collection of songs, well performed, the first time I bought a McCartney album on vinyl since Flowers In The Dirt in 1989. It only has 16 tracks but it is spread over 2 records. The first is "Opening Station" which is just sounds of rush hour crowds in a train station, reminds me of the beginning of Sgt Pepper. "I Don't Know" is good song on piano, "Come On To Me" is a pretty good rocker. "Who Cares" is one of the best songs, seems to be directed at critics and gossips. "Fuh You" is the only song co written with someone (Ryan Tedder) and it's not bad. "Despite Repeated Warnings" is the most interesting song, a dramatic story song about a crazy captain of a ship who sailing it into disaster. The last song is a medley "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link". the first rocking part is the best. This was Paul first #1 album since Tug Of War 36 years ago. I don't think it's one of his best, but it's worth listening to for McCartney fans.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

McCartney III Album Cover.jpg

McCartney III by Paul McCartney -Dec 2020

Paul's third all solo album, he again does all instruments and voices, a remarkable achievement for a 78 year old man. This album is not one of his best though. It begins with a mostly instrumental track with some voice enhanced vocals called 'Long Tailed Winter Bird". It has good guitar and drums. "Find My Way" is pretty catchy pop song. An interesting track is called "Pretty Boys", not sure what this is about, maybe male models? My favorite song is "Lavatory Lil" a good throwback to the rockin' storyteller of classics like "Get Back". It has a great riff and story of a pill popping gold digger who is getting old. "Deep Deep Feeling is a long (8 min) of interweaving vocals but it gets too repetitive and monotonous. "Slidin" is an OK rocker which shows Paul can still shout. The final song, "Winter Bird/When Winter Comes" is a nice gentle song about life on the farm after summer and when winter comes in.

I bumped up my review of McCartney III, which brings all of his albums up to date. He hasn't done a great album since Flaming Pie in 1997, but I will watching and waiting for every thing that he releases, always hoping it will be more great stuff. 

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Egypt Station by Paul McCartney-Sep 2018

"Come On To Me" is a pretty good rocker.

That recording is hilarious! My local public radio had it on rotation during afternoon drive time and it always made me laugh, imagining Paul reacting to any woman who smiles at him as coming on to him. 

Have you heard about his upcoming release? Sounds like something that might interest you 

• Thanks 1

Heard this in the car this evening and it seemed vaguely familiar but I wasn't sure if it was recent and I couldn't even guess who it was. I was surprised it was Stevie. Tell me if he doesn't sound, in the opening lines, a little like Dylan when Dylan doesn't sound like himself, like in "Lay Lady Lay."

This is a phenomenal album - but I don't see the Dylan connection.   I think it got album of the year way back.  Thanks for sharing and paying attention to Stevie.   I believe this is the last track or so.  Some very  memorable tunes......Higher Ground, Golden Lady, Livin for the City, All is Fair in Love.........

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ladydid said:

This is a phenomenal album - but I don't see the Dylan connection.   I think it got album of the year way back.  Thanks for sharing and paying attention to Stevie.   I believe this is the last track or so.  Some very  memorable tunes......Higher Ground, Golden Lady, Livin for the City, All is Fair in Love.........

If Innervisions isn't his best album, it must be Talking Book

• Like 1

Sentimentaljourney.jpg

Sentimental Journey by Ringo Starr -Mar 1970

Ringo's first solo album, comprised of standards arranged by a diverse group of musicians and produced by George Martin. The title song leads off, though it is not very good, makes you long for Doris Day. My favorite song on here is "Bye Bye Blackbird" arranged in vaudevillian style by Bee Gee Maurice Gibb, it is entertaining. Paul McCartney arranged Hoagy Carmichael's "Star Dust" but Ringo's voice cannot handle it. "Blue Turning Grey Over You" has an amusing moment at the end, when Ringo starts scat singing and says "Almost lost myself there, child!" Quincy Jones arranges "Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing" in which Ringo is helped by background singers. The rest of the album is pretty forgettable, except for a tongue in cheek version of "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" arranged by Elmer Bernstein.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Sentimentaljourney.jpg

Sentimental Journey by Ringo Starr -Mar 1970

Ringo's first solo album, comprised of standards arranged by a diverse group of musicians and produced by George Martin. The title song leads off, though it is not very good, makes you long for Doris Day. My favorite song on here is "Bye Bye Blackbird" arranged in vaudevillian style by Bee Gee Maurice Gibb, it is entertaining. Paul McCartney arranged Hoagy Carmichael's "Star Dust" but Ringo's voice cannot handle it. "Blue Turning Grey Over You" has an amusing moment at the end, when Ringo starts scat singing and says "Almost lost myself there, child!" Quincy Jones arranges "Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing" in which Ringo is helped by background singers. The rest of the album is pretty forgettable, except for a tongue in cheek version of "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" arranged by Elmer Bernstein.

Didn't know that Ringo made a recording of Stardust;   Just listened to it;    This is a very difficult song to sing (as well as play as a jazz instrumental) given the melody and harmonic structure.        Rated by many jazz polls as one of the top 5 songs of all time (I clearly believe this,  and I still can't play it well after over 30 years of trying!).

Ringo took a chance here,  but this song isn't one most singers should attempt.      

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ladydid said:

I didn't mean to say that whole thing sounds like Dylan, just that the first line sounded like a way Dylan could sing now and then. 

I remember three of the four other songs you mentioned, but this one was not familiar to me, and I didn't know they were all on the same LP.  What a great album. 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't know that Ringo made a recording of Stardust;   Just listened to it;    This is a very difficult song to sing (as well as play as a jazz instrumental) given the melody and harmonic structure.        Rated by many jazz polls as one of the top 5 songs of all time (I clearly believe this,  and I still can't play it well after over 30 years of trying!).

Ringo took a chance here,  but this song isn't one most singers should attempt.      

Yes, Ringo was no jazz singer. Do you have a favorite version of this song, I always liked Nat King Cole's rendition.

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, Ringo was no jazz singer. Do you have a favorite version of this song, I always liked Nat King Cole's rendition.

The Nat King Cole version is my favorite.    Of course with most jazz standards it is either Nat or Sinatra,  but for 30s and 40s ballads most of the time a Nat version is what I listen to the most;   (for more up-tempo songs,  it is Sinatra). 

My jazz guitar teacher told me over 30 years ago to listen to these two and how they sing and approach the melody and like most of the great horn players use that as an influence when playing a melody on guitar.      

• Like 2

My idea of religious music is the Baptist hymnal--psalms you can dance to, but they didn't want to let me dance. Still I get more peace listening to Jerry Lee Lewis pound out "I'll Fly Away" than I ever found in prayer

• Like 1

BeaucoupsBCover.jpg

Beaucoups Of Blues by Ringo Starr-Sep 1970

Ringo's second solo effort, released just 6 months after his first Sentimental Journey, and this one is much better, it is actually one of the best albums Ringo ever did. His voice is much better suited to country music then pop standards. The title tune is first and sets the mood as Ringo sings the country tune very well helped by the best talent in Nashville, including back up singing by The Four Jordanaires, who backed up Elvis Presley. The next song is my favorite, "Love Don't Last Long" a sad song about unwanted pregnancy, murder and suicides, Ringo sings it completely straight and it is quite touching. "Woman Of The Night" is a good one about being in love with a hooker. Side 2 opens with "$15 Draw" a very good song about a struggling musicians with some terrific guitar picking, Ringo has a ball on this with ad libs like "when you're hot, you're hot!" "I Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way" has Ringo helped by a beautiful voiced female singer named Jeannie Kendal. "Waiting" has great fiddle playing and a  nice melody, Ringo sings it very well. The album ends on a somber note with "Silent Homecoming", about a mother waiting at the airport for her son to return from the war. It has a powerful anti war message. 

• Like 2

All Things Must Pass 1970 cover.jpg

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison-Nov 1970

A great album showing George breaking free from The Beatles. I will do each Side:

Side 1

It begins with "I'd Have You Anytime" cowritten by George with Bob Dylan, it is a soothing beginning, nicely setting the mood. "My Sweet Lord" is a #1 smash with great overdubbed guitars and George's voice, still a great listening experience. "Wah Wah" has a great guitar riff and a fine showcase for producer Phil Spector's Wall Of Sound. "Isn't It A Pity" is a mournful song of people break hearts, more nice orchestration, this is version one which goes on for 7:10.

Side 2

This side begins with the joyous, rousing pop song "What Is Life?" which became a top 10 single. George does a beautiful version of  "If Not For You", one of the best Dylan covers ever, far surpassing the original. Pete Drake (who also produced Ringo's Beaucoups Of Blues. provides great pedal steel guitar on "Behind That Locked Door". "Let It Down" has more great soaring orchestration, love the way George pronounces hair as "hur" on this. "Run Of The Mill" beautifully ends the side, great lyrics about everyone having choice.

Side 3

"Beware Of Darkness' an eloquent song of being aware of dangers in life, starts this side. "Apple Scruffs" is a jaunty tribute to Beatle groupies hanging out at the Apple offices, great blasts of harmonica. "Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)" is a great tune made more haunting by the ghostly whispering of "Sir Frankie Crisp" throughout it. Another great Wall Of Sound is used on "Awaiting On You All", about chanting the names of the Lord. The beautiful, lush title song ends the side.

Side 4 

"I Dig Love" sounds like a throwaway, but it is still entertaining, sounds like Ringo on drums, he is credited with playing on the album but it does not specify which tracks. "Art Of Dying" is an interesting song about reincarnation. The second version of "Isn't It  A Pity" is next, don't hear much of a difference, other than it's much shorter. "Hear Me Lord" is a nice ending to the main discs of the album.

Apple Jam

This is a boring disc of jam sessions recorded in between the other songs. I wish it wasn't included, it brings down the quality of the total album. Jam sessions are for the musicians, not for the listeners. If this disc was not included this would be the best album by an ex Beatle.

• Like 1

LITMW album cover (clean).jpg

Living In The Material World by George Harrison- May 1973

It was nearly 3 years before George gave us a followup to All Things Must Pass. This is a good record, though not up to the last one. The first song is my favorite, "Give Me Love" a catchy #1 song. "Sue Me Sue You Blues" is a funny song about the current Beatles legal woes. "The Light That Has Lighted The World" is another spiritual song and a pretty good one. "Don't Let Me Wait Too Long" is a catchy pop song. "Who Can See It" is song George has said reminds him of Roy Orbison, it does have the sad ballad quality of songs like "Crying", The title song is one of the best on the album. George talks about being caught up in the materialistic world. Some lyrics are about how he met all of his friends like "John and Paul here in the material world" and says "We got Richie on a tour", Ringo was playing on this song and adds a quick fill after that line. Side 2 starts with more spiritual teachings "The Lord Loves The One". "Be Here Now" is a soothing, meditative song. "Try Some Buy Some" is the only song co produced by Phil Spector. It was intended for Ronnie Spector but her vocals were erased and George did it instead. His voice can't fit in her key though. "That Is All" is a fitting end though George has some trouble with the high notes on this one as well.   

• Like 1