Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?


Recommended Posts

Ringo Rama Cover.jpg

Ringo Rama by Ringo Starr-Mar 2003

Another good Ringo CD, his first since George Harrison's death. "Eye To Eye" gets this off to a good rocking start. "Missouri Loves Company" is a catchy song about traveling across America. "Memphis In Your Mind" is OK but the instruments and background singers drown Ringo out. My favorite is "Never Without You" a heartfelt tribute to George Harrison, nice melody and the lyrics mentions songs like "Within You Without You" and says "the world will never forget you". "I Think Therefore I Rock And Roll" is OK but overwhelming back up again. "Write One For Me" features some vocals from Willie Nelson. "What Love Wants To Be" is a nice ballad, Ringo handles this one well. "Elizabeth Reigns" was inspired by the Queen's jubilee, some of it is critical of the Royal Family. Ringo says at the end "Well, there goes me knighthood!" It ends with a throwaway hidden song "Really Love Her" which has a novelty of Ringo playing bass and guitars as well as drums.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

RingoStarrChooseLoveCDCover.jpg

Choose Love by Ringo Starr-June 2005

Ringo's fourth album in a row produced by Mark Hudson, it is better than the Christmas one but not quite as good as the other two. Still, some stuff to be enjoyed. The first two tracks "Fading In Fading Out" and "Give Me Back The Beat" are fairly catchy pop rock but not too memorable. One of the better ones is "Oh My Lord" which seems to be tribute to George Harrison's sounds of his 1970s music. Billy Preston plays organ and there is a choir on the chorus. There is an OK duet with Chrissie Hynde "Don't Hang Up". "Wrong All The Time" is nice jazzy tune with good piano by Jim Cox and nice laid back vocals from Ringo. My favorite song is "Satisfied" a Beatles-like number with great jangling guitars. It could have fit in on the Beatles For Sale album, though John probably would have been the lead singer. "Free Drinks" is the last song, Ringo's voice is buried on it and it gets a bit monotonous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8.jpg

Liverpool 8 by Ringo Starr-Jan 2008

This is an OK collection of Ringo songs, again produced by Mark Hudson, but re produced by Eurythmics' Dave Stewart. Except for the Christmas album, this was the least of the Ringo/Hudson albums. The first and best song, the title cut is a rousing tribute to Ringo's birthplace, documenting his early years through stardom. Stewart provides some great guitar. "Gone Are The Days" starts with some psychedelic sounds. just OK. "Give It A Try" is one of the better songs, a nice 1960s Summer Of Love feel to it. "Harry's Song" is a vaudevillian tribute to Ringo's late friend Harry Nillson. "Pasodobles" has some Latin flavored guitar but Ringo's voice is not suited to this. "If It's Love That You Want" sounds like a throwaway. The last song is an OK country hoe down "R U Ready" 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2021 is a good year for fans of Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010), with a posthumous autobiography due in July and a documentary in production as I type.

Next time you throw up the metal horns, remember where they came from. 

He seems to have been a nice guy. If I could have befriended him, I would have asked him, with that vibrato of his that rivals Ethel Merman's, to sing a few bars of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" for me. ("I HAD a DREEEEAM babyyyyyyy!*) I bet he would have done it. He was quite theatrical. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Photo of a person (left half) and "Y NOT" in white text on a black background (right half)

Y Not by Ringo Starr-Jan 2010

Ringo turns 70 and still has a lot of energy. This CD went to #58 on the charts, his highest chart position since Ringo's Rotogravure in 1976. However, it is his weakest album since his Christmas one, despite a couple of good songs. He had a falling out with producer Mark Hudson and his music has lost that catchy pop sound of those collaborations. "Fill In The Blanks" is the opener, some good guitar by Joe Walsh but not much else. "Peace Dream" is an OK attempt at Ringo doing his own "Imagine" as John Lennon is referenced in the lyrics. "The Other Side Of Liverpool" is a serious, dramatic account his early life pre Beatles, a female singer named Cindy Gomez helps out on back up vocals. The best track is "Walk With You" co written by Van Dyke Parks, it has a nice duet with Paul McCartney on the chorus. The rest of the record is pretty forgettable, despite some guest artists like Richard Marx on 'Mystery Of The Night" and Joss Stone on final song "Who's Your Daddy".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ringo 2012 cover.jpg

Ringo 2012 by Ringo Starr -Jan 2012

One of Ringo's weakest, it seems like a hastily thrown together collection just to get some product out there. One good thing is it's very short, 9 songs not even adding up to a half an hour. The first song "Anthem" is a failed attempt for Ringo to do a peace and love type song. There is an unnecessary remake of "Wings" which was on Ringo The 4th, one of his worst albums. The song was forgettable than and still is. The best on the record is a new version of Buddy Holly's "Think It Over", Ringo sings and plays it well. "Rock Island Line" is an OK version of the traditional song, made famous in the UK by Lonnie Donegan. Another unnecessary remake is "Step Lively" which was the weakest song on one of his best albums Ringo. At least the original had sounds of Ringo tap dancing. "In Liverpool" is yet another song Ringo wrote about his early life in his birthplace. There were two pretty good ones before but now it's getting old. The final song is a forgettable original rocker "Slow Down". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

One of Ringo's weakes

What a drag...  my "favorite" BEATLE apparently the least talented...  God bless him! 

Listening to:

VLADO PERLEMUTER Debussy & Ravel Piano Music 

519WtkB2z5L._SX355_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ringo Starr - Postcards from Paradise.png

Postcards From Paradise by Ringo Starr-Mar 2015

An OK CD from Ringo, an improvement over his last two, but not one of the best. The first song is my favorite, "Rory And The Hurricanes" a tribute to his first group he joined in Liverpool, his drumming is great and I liked the backing vocals by a group named Double Treble. The title song is interesting for fans since nearly every line is a Beatles song title, it was co written by Todd Rundgren. "Not Looking Back" is an OK slower song, co written with Richard Marx. Ringo tries some New Orleans type music with "Bamboula" with some good horn arrangements by Van Dyke Parks. "Let Love Lead" ends the record, guitar supplied by Peter Frampton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

What a drag...  my "favorite" BEATLE apparently the least talented...  God bless him! 

Today at the jazz guitar website is yet debate about Ringo.    Someone said given his limited ability,  he was perfect for the Beatles since one can hear in his playing the emotional connection he had with his mates.

Someone else took that as a knock on Ringo.       I don't.        Ringo (or the vast majority of rock drummers),   does have less ability then a jazz drummer.    But for me he was a perfect fit for the Beatles and their music.      A drummer with more technical ability wouldn't have improved the music.   If anything it would lessen the overall impact and sound of the music.       A musician's "value" to a band isn't measured solely on technical ability or any other single attribute.       Ringo was the perfect fit for the Beatles and the sum-of-the-parts is what is important in any band (rock,  blues, jazz,,,, doesn't mater which genre).

    

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Today at the jazz guitar website is yet debate about Ringo.    Someone said given his limited ability,  he was perfect for the Beatles since one can hear in his playing the emotional connection he had with his mates.

Someone else took that as a knock on Ringo.       I don't.        Ringo (or the vast majority of rock drummers),   does have less ability then a jazz drummer.    But for me he was a perfect fit for the Beatles and their music.      A drummer with more technical ability wouldn't have improved the music.   If anything it would lessen the overall impact and sound of the music.       A musician's "value" to a band isn't measured solely on technical ability or any other single attribute.       Ringo was the perfect fit for the Beatles and the sum-of-the-parts is what is important in any band (rock,  blues, jazz,,,, doesn't mater which genre).

    

RINGO's reputation as a drummer has been up and down, the same as a solo artist.  He was the perfect fit for THE BEATLES; we agree.  I have always loved RINGO the best, though JOHN is the one I admire most. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

RSGiveMoreLove.jpg

Give More Love by Ringo Starr-Sep 2017

An OK CD from Ringo, slightly better than the last one, but still not great. The opener "We're On The Road Again" an unmemorable song about touring, a subject done to death in many songs. Paul McCartney plays bass and sings back up on it. "Laughable" is OK, it was co written by Peter Frampton and he plays guitar and sings. "Standing Still" is a country flavored song with upright bass and dobro. My favorite on the record is "So Wrong For So Long" a better country song, great pedal steel guitar by Greg Leisz. There are a few re recordings of Ringo songs. "Back Off Boogaloo" was originally a top ten hit in 1972 and was also re recorded on the 1981 Ringo album Stop And Smell The Roses. This one is interesting since it has the original demo of Ringo singing and playing guitar, he added drums and Joe Walsh some slide guitar onto this new version. A new version of the Beatles "Don't Pass Me By" is OK, not up to the original but has some good guitar and harmonica. The last song is a new version of the #1 smash "Photograph" also does not eclipse the original but this stripped down version is quite good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 1:44 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8.jpg

Liverpool 8 by Ringo Starr-Jan 2008

This is an OK collection of Ringo songs, again produced by Mark Hudson, but re produced by Eurythmics' Dave Stewart. Except for the Christmas album, this was the least of the Ringo/Hudson albums. The first and best song, the title cut is a rousing tribute to Ringo's birthplace, documenting his early years through stardom. Stewart provides some great guitar. "Gone Are The Days" starts with some psychedelic sounds. just OK. "Give It A Try" is one of the better songs, a nice 1960s Summer Of Love feel to it. "Harry's Song" is a vaudevillian tribute to Ringo's late friend Harry Nillson. "Pasodobles" has some Latin flavored guitar but Ringo's voice is not suited to this. "If It's Love That You Want" sounds like a throwaway. The last song is an OK country hoe down "R U Ready" 

Yeah, So ?

😐😐😐😐😐🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

 

 

🤔..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...