Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

I was in the car today, so I heard some radio. This one struck me a little harder than it normally does, for the melodic shape of the guitar line, which reminded me of The Phil Specter production of The Crystals' "Then He Kissed Me." The Animals guitarist Hilton Valentine played it on a Rickenbacker 12 string, and that sound reminded me of "There's An End" by The Greenhornes.

Here then is a triple-shot.

George Maharis introduces The Animals ("Foist time any place singin theh bran new reckid!") on the October 11, 1965 NBC broadcast of "Hullabaloo!" I'm sure you will note, and wince at, the trophies. I question whether the set design played well even then but it wouldn't even be considered today. And what a waste of talent. No doubt these young ladies could dance and it's a shame we don't get to see that. This song was written by Brill Building songwriters Roger Atkins and Carl D'Errico and is their most successful piece, says Wiki anyway.

Now up the tempo of that guitar motive and tell me it doesn't match this one, by Phil Spector, Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry. Notice too in the photo montage that The Crystals went through more line-up changes than the Petticoat Junction girls.

Finally, remember the timbre of the 12 string guitar melody from The Animals and listen to the guitar break here from The Greenhornes, which I assume is two players, one of which would be founding member Craig Fox, picking the same line and a little out of sync under Holly Golightly's vocal.

• Like 1