Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

joey

State Of Confusion by The Kinks-Jun 1983

Another great album and third top 20 album in a row. The title song starts it off, as a an average guy caught up a lot of bad luck and confusion in life. "Definite Maybe" is a funny one about indecision. "Labour Of Love" is a pretty good one about love gone bad, it starts with electric guitar version of "Here Comes The Bride". The next is the best and one of the best Kinks songs ever. "Come Dancing" became their biggest hit single of all time (#6 on the charts). It's a great story/song about his sister loving the Big Bands and how she grows and matures. It has a great guitar break and Big Band ending. "Property" is a good bittersweet ballad about breaking up. Side 2 starts with another hit single (went to #12), "Don't Forget To Dance" a poignant ballad about trying to smile with a broken heart. "Young Conservatives' is Ray on current events again, about revolution being over and now the young kids are turning to conservatism. "Heart Of Gold" has a catchy chorus about a hard exterior masking a heart of gold. "Clichés Of The World (B Movie)" is another good one about living a life of fantasy. It ends with Dave singing lead on a Little Richard imitation song "Bernadette".

• Thanks 1

KinksWordofMouth.jpg

Word Of Mouth by The Kinks-Nov 1984

This album did not sell as well as the the last three but it's another great one, well worth getting for Kinks fans. The first song is a great catchy pop rocker "Do It Again". The title song is a good rocker with some searing guitar. My favorite on the album is "Good Day" , a sprightly optimistic song with great lyrics. Ray talks about the death of actress Diana Dors and says "I used to fancy her a long time ago". Dave has one of his best songs in years next, "Living On A Thin Line".  "Sold Me Out" is a good one about losing all your money. Side 2 starts with "Massive Reductions", another good one about companies laying off employees. "Guilty" is another Dave song with some great guitar playing. "Missing Persons" is a poignant ballad about a missing child. The last song "Going Solo" is also about a missing person, this time it's a runaway teenager while the parents cannot understand why she left. The other song we don't know what happened to the missing girl, she may have been kidnapped.

Think visual album.jpg

Think Visual by The Kinks -Nov 1986

Another very good album by the Kinks, 5th one in a row, I think they were the only 1960s rock stars who did consistently great work in 1980s. "Working At The Factory" is the lead off, and it has some great biting Davies wit. It's about being told at an early age he was only fit to work at the factory, but he discovered music instead. Despite making it big, the music business is just another factory. My favorite on here is the haunting "Lost And Found" about a couple losing each other while a hurricane looms. "Repetition" is another good one about complacency. "Welcome To Sleazy Town" is a bluesy, dark humored look at a sleazy city overrun by corporations. "Video Shop" is a very funny look at the then current videotape craze. One of the best lines is "I've got a bootleg version of Citizen Kane and second hand copy of Psycho, I taped them off the telly so you shouldn't complain", Side 2 begins with Dave's rousing tribute to touring in "Rock 'N' Roll Cities". "How Are You" is an interesting song about a conversation between two old friends. The title song is another jab at consumerism. "Natural Gift" has a nice melody about using your natural abilities. "The Killing Time" is an OK tune about wasting time. Dave ends the record with his "When You Were A Child".

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Think Visual by The Kinks -Nov 1986

I have always been surprised at how poorly THE KINKS charted - they did better in the USA than they did in the UK after the 60s...!  So much worthwhile material overlooked by record buyers.  I read today this record only reached #81 on Billboard Hot 100.

18 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I have always been surprised at how poorly THE KINKS charted - they did better in the USA than they did in the UK after the 60s...!  So much worthwhile material overlooked by record buyers.  I read today this record only reached #81 on Billboard Hot 100.

The strangest thing is they write and sing about things that would relate more to English than American life. They had 3 top 20 albums in the USA that did not chart at all in the UK.

4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The strangest thing is they write and sing about things that would relate more to English than American life. They had 3 top 20 albums in the USA that did not chart at all in the UK.

I didn't know how prolific they were till I saw all your reviews. And you're not finished yet, I assume. 

15 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

Any Vince Guaraldi fans out there?

I am a fan.  Of course, he became so famous because of his Peanuts work and will be remembered a long time because of it. 

UKJive.jpg

UK Jive by The Kinks -Oct 1989

Their first in 3 years, the longest gap in between albums. This is not one of their best, all the songs are OK, but not outstanding. "Aggravation" starts it off, a hard rocking song with some angry lyrics. "How Do I Get Close" laments the lack of communication. The title song is a jumping jiving tune about a house party. "Entertainment" has some more angry barbs at modern life, taking aim at the exploitation in the media. "War Is Over" is an OK song about soldiers returning from war. "Down All The Days (To 1992)" talks about a celebration that will happen in 1992, not sure what it refers to. "Dear Margaret" is a song from Dave, a sarcastic swipe at PM Margaret Thatcher. Dave has two more songs to end this CD, "Bright Lights" and "Perfect Strangers" but they are not very memorable.