Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Kinksphobia.jpg

Phobia by The Kinks-Mar 1993

This is the last Kinks album released to date. It's too bad since it is a very good one with many good and a few great songs. "Wall Of Fire" has some cynical lyrics about the state of the world. "Drift Away" is a nice ballad about wanting to get away to an island of dreams. "Still Searching" is a more hopeful song about a drifter stilling looking to find his way. The title song is great driving rocker about fears. "Only A Dream" is song about fantasy, as the narrator thinks a beautiful executive lady has actually noticed him. "Babies" is more cynicism about the current world sung from the POV of unborn babies. "It's Alright" is an OK Dave song. "The Informer" is an interesting tale of two friends meeting for a beer, but one has betrayed the other. It ends on cryptic, dark note. My favorite track is "Hatred" a powerful, venomous duet between Ray and Dave. Some of the lyrics are "Hatred, hatred, it's the only thing that keeps us together. Hatred, hatred, it's the only thing that lasts forever".  "Close To The Wire" is an interesting Dave song where Ray sings a few verses. The last song "Scattered" is a poignant one, a tribute to Ray's mother and a friend who both died of cancer. I still hold out hope the group will get together again, both Davies brothers and original drummer Mick Avory are still alive. Avory retired but still played on a few tracks on their 1980s albums. The original bassist Pete Quaife died in 2010, though he had left the group in 1969.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Avory retired but still played on a few tracks on their 1980s albums. The original bassist Pete Quaife died in 2010, though he had left the group in 1969.

Great info.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

The Beatles are my all time favorite! This song is so underrated in my opinion. I got to see Ringo in 2019 which was one of the best concerts next to seeing Pink Floyd's Roger Waters in 2017. Can't go wrong with great music!

• Thanks 1

I don't even remember how I came across this song, but I've been listening to it a LOT lately. Not sure what that says about my mood lol😆

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Not sure what it might say about your mood, but it says you have good taste.

Haha thanks! My taste ranges from 20s & 30s swing/ Jazz to 60s & 70s psychedelic rock and occasionally heavy metal. It's a very broad range I'd say and I somehow still refuse to let myself listen to the music most my age are listening to, nothing against it, but it just sounds like noise to me.😂

• Like 2
17 hours ago, SweetSue said:

Haha thanks! My taste ranges from 20s & 30s swing/ Jazz to 60s & 70s psychedelic rock and occasionally heavy metal. It's a very broad range I'd say and I somehow still refuse to let myself listen to the music most my age are listening to, nothing against it, but it just sounds like noise to me.😂

We overlap. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

I have a playlist of obscure psychedelic 60s rock

Listen to the stuff I don't have uploaded at YouTube frequently.   Try FIFTY FOOT HOSE or SILVER APPLES - weird.  See if they've got LEAF HOUND Growers Of Mushroom. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Try FIFTY FOOT HOSE or SILVER APPLES - weird.  See if they've got LEAF HOUND Growers Of Mushroom.

Got Fifty Foot Hose! They were a local band, Cauldron is a crazy, but good album. Haven't listened to much Silver Apples so I might try them out. Leaf Hound is also cool, they've got that heavier sound I really enjoy. One of my other favorite bands is Lucifer's Friend, super underrated, but absolutely awesome. 

This has to be one of my favorite songs of all time. 

18 hours ago, SweetSue said:

So we have more in common than just Bette Davis.    I'm an amateur jazz guitarist and play jazz from the 20s - 60s.   But I also love 60s British invasion rock,  mostly The Beatles and Kinks.  

My two main passions are movies and music from the  30s - 60s and these overlapped.    E.g.  I would see a film from the 30s with a song I liked,  get the sheet music and learn to play it or my guitar teacher would show me a song from the 50s to learn and I would seek out movies that featured that song.     

So cool to see someone of your generation that is into what was created  well before they were born.      You have given me hope!  (ha ha).

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So we have more in common than just Bette Davis.    I'm an amateur jazz guitarist and play jazz from the 20s - 60s.   But I also love 60s British invasion rock,  mostly The Beatles and Kinks.  

My two main passions are movies and music from the  30s - 60s and these overlapped.    E.g.  I would see a film from the 30s with a song I liked,  get the sheet music and learn to play it or my guitar teacher would show me a song from the 50s to learn and I would seek out movies that featured that song.     

So cool to see someone of your generation that is into what was created  well before they were born.      You have given me hope!  (ha ha).

That's so cool! I come from a musical sorta family (my dad's a guitarist) so I've just grown up listening to all the oldies. I got into old Hollywood/ classic film when I was 16 in 2017, my mom turned on TCM and they were playing  Harold Lloyd's Now Or Never from 1921 and I just fell in love and wanted to learn more and from there classic film got me into even older music and then I started collecting antiques and wanting to dress like all the old Hollywood ladies so I began collecting vintage, and history has been my passion ever since. My most recent collection I've started is antique/ vintage sheet music! I can't read it, but love the pictures lol. I can play some ukulele and can play around with guitar and keyboard, but I haven't quite committed myself to becoming a pro at it or anything. Trying to talk to my friends about my interests is crazy difficult because they're following the current music and movies and I'm over here just like "No I haven't heard the new Ariana Grande song" haha. Glad I've given you some hope! There are definitely some of us younger people out here who appreciate the art of times past!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

how about BLUE CHEER or MC5

Blue Cheer is another local one and iconic. Love Randy Holden's album Population II more though. MC5 I consider like the very beginnings of punk, specifically hearing Kick Out the Jams. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Y'mean you're in San Francisco?

Close enough, Bay Area, I consider SF local because of how often I'm able to visit haha.