Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Return to Waterloo - Ray Davies (1985 album).jpg

Return To Waterloo by Ray Davies-Jul 1985

It's called Ray Davies' first solo album but it is essentially a Kinks record, since all the current members of the band are on it except for Dave Davies. This was a soundtrack of a film which I have never seen, but the music is pretty good. The title song is another good Ray song about everyday English life. The next 3 songs "Going Solo", "Missing Persons" and "Sold Me Out" were previously recorded on the Kinks' Word Of Mouth, I reviewed that back on June 2. "Lonely Hearts" is a nice ballad done in 1950s do w o p style. "Not Far Away" has a tough guitar riff, lyrics are about chaos about to rule. "Expectations" is a cynical song about losing faith in a country he once loved. "Voices In The Dark" has a haunting feel of losing human contact, represented by the train station announcers. 

Any Helen Merrill fans out there? I've listened to her first album, Helen Merrill (1954) a lot recently, it's now one of my favorites. Great band (led by Clifford Brown), great production. Very pure singing. As prolific as she was, IMHO she never matched this. 

• Like 1

media.pitchfork.com/photos/5929bbd413d197565213...

Other People's Lives by Ray Davies-Feb 2006

We had to wait 13 years for new Ray Davies music, the last being the final Kinks album Phobia. This is a very good collection of songs. The CD booklet contains detailed discussions of each song by Davies. The first is "Things Are Gonna Change (The Morning After), in which the hung over character vows to change, as most drunks say. "After The Fall" is an interesting one about a fall from grace. I think my favorite on here is "Next Door Neighbour" since once again Ray is doing some observations about every day people, one of the most enjoyable things about those early Kinks songs. "All She Wrote" is about a goodbye letter. "Creatures Of Little Faith" is about a guy who is constantly hounded by his very suspicious wife. "Run Away From Time" has a catchy chorus. "The Tourist" is Ray putting down thoughts as a tourist in America, written mostly in New Orleans. It has a nice bluesy riff going on. "Is There Life After Breakfast" is one of the funnier songs, as the character can not decide if he wants to even get up that day. "The Getaway" is more Americana, about thinking about taking that lonesome train out of town The title song is one of the best, a flamenco feel to it, with a female backup singer, it's a cynical view of tabloid culture. "Stand Up Comic" is another funny one, taking a jab at how comedy now sinks to the lowest common denominator. "Over My Head" has the singer still a bit lost, but sees things in perspective. The final track "Thanksgiving Day" is a tribute to the American holiday of getting together with family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:46 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Back From The Grave, Vol. 3 or PART THREE 

Sounds like the old garage band PEBBLES '78 (Artyfacts from the First Punk Era mid to Late 60's) compilations inspired by 1972's  NUGGETS (Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968), I believe some of the earliest of Rhino's offerings. A collection of mostly obscure songs that received only local airplay but typified the musical trends of the time. In other words, a collection of "near" hits by bands who never completely made it.

Right now I'm listening to Fiona Apple's newest FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS which I quite like for the lyrics mostly. Musically it's a bit drastic at times and I'm a bit put off by the repetitiousness of some lines. I understand she wants to emphasize a particular phrase, but it seems just a little forced. Forgivable because otherwise it's great.

Working Man's Café-cover.jpg

Working Man's Cafe by Ray Davies -Feb 2008

Ray gives us some more new stuff, just 2 years after the last CD. It's another good one, he still has that great gift for lyrics and melody. "Vietnam Cowboys" is the opener, an indictment of sweat shops and Hollywood movie makers with some pointed lyrics. "You're Asking Me" is some great ironic barbs about constantly being asked about life and if things will be alright, the singer tells us he does not have the answer anymore than you do. The title song is my favorite, another of Ray's laments on the changing face of the country, losing the old fruit and veg carts and now everything is retail outlets and internet cafes. "Morphine Song" is a stark account of Ray's stay in a New Orleans hospital after being shot by a mugger. "No One Listen" is another good one about computers taking over, killing human interaction. "One More Time" is a poignant song about nostalgia for the old country. "The Voodoo Walk" is a suitably spooky song inspired by his time in New Orleans. "Hymn For A New Age" is one of the more interesting songs, where he says he doesn't believe God is the man with white hair in a big chair, but he still wants something he can pray to. "The Real World" is a nice one about lost souls.  "Angola" is a US bonus track, about criminals and the famous prison Angola. Two more bonus tracks are just demos of "Vietnam Cowboys" and "The Voodoo Walk"

t

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

NUGGETS

I have the 4  CD collection of that.  The Back From The Grave series also started on vinyl, (in the early 80s) have some inconsistent CD issues, I have the first 3.  

Thinking about it, I think I had Nuggests in a 2 LP vinyl album... in any case, I own the CD set primarily for GONN Blackout Of Gretely :