Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kate Winslet goes frumpy for Mildred Pierce shoot! Nice Pics!! Can't wait!

*Kate Winslet goes frumpy for Mildred Pierce shoot*

20/04/2010

Mirror.co.uk

*The newly-single actress plays a divorced middle-class housewife forced to become a waitress to feed her family.*

*And Oscar-winner Kate is tailor-made for the part - Joan Crawford won a best actress gong for the original role.*

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/04/20/kate-winslet-goes-frumpy-for-mildred-pierce-shoot-115875-22198185/

Don't know why someone else thinks she's tailor made for the part, but I think Kate can carry this role. As for remaking the film, aren't they remaking everything? TCM could schedule days and days of viewing based on original film versions and the remakes.

• 1 month later...

*'Mildred Pierce' Filming Halted Because Kate Winslet Was Badly Bruised*

May 26, 2010

AceShowbiz (blog)

Filming on Kate Winslet's new TV mini-series has been suspended after the actress fell over and hit her head during a game of basketball with her kids. The "Titanic" star has been shooting new HBO show "Mildred Pierce" in New York City, but production was halted on Monday, May 24 after she suffered a mishap while playing with Mia, nine, and Joe, six - her two children with estranged husband Sam Mendes.

Winslet reportedly bumped her head when she fell over and was left badly bruised, forcing TV bosses to shut down production on the series. A source tells New York Post gossip column PageSix, "She fell after being hit by a basketball and suffered bruising that couldn't be covered with make-up, so the entire production was halted (on) Monday."

A representative for Winslet confirmed the incident, and insisted the star "is fine".

*In April of 2010, Far From Heaven director Todd Haynes began shooting a five hour miniseries starring Kate Winslet in the title role, Evan Rachel Wood as Veda and Guy Pierce as Monte Beragon. Haynes has co-written the period piece with Jonathan Raymond, (Old Joy), and is also signed on as executive producer with Pamela Koffler, John Wells, Illene Landress (The Sopranos) and longtime friend as well as producer of all Haynes' previous films, Christine Vachon, along with HBO in association with MGM. It is scheduled to air on HBO fall/winter of 2010.*

kate_winslet_02_wenn2812473.jpg

*Kate Winslet - First day of shooting of 'Mildred Pierce'*

*Tuesday, March 23, 2010: HBO and Kate Winslet Are Looking for Classic Cars*

*Car Povider G. Jerry Immersi of Cars for Films is looking for "lots of " cars, trucks and buses in the period of 1929 through 1940 for the film.*

*Filming is sdheduled to begin next month in New York. If you are interested, contact Jerry at 1-973-484-9755 or vette67g@verizon.net .*

Top-367-1.jpg

Well, I go off the site for awhile and then this fool stuff is happening. When I was waiting for the thread to download I was all ****, **** and I still feel this way or actually I am holding my breath but at least it looks like it is not being "updated". Thank Goodness. However, Mildred Pierce is a perfect movie. I can watch it over and over again and new things catch my eye every time. The biggest crime is to try to recast the role of Wally. Jack Carson is spot on-the perfect leech, opportunist, slimy, silver tongued character-his embodiment of Wally is golden. I have often wondered if Carson was nominated for an Academy Award for this role if he wasn't it's a crime. Just the last time I watched it when Wally says "knock on wood" Carson knocks on wood and he oozes slime you could just see the trail. My other favorite roles of Carson is Tarnished Angels and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and then there's A Star Is Born. Lots of people identify Carson with light comedies and I watch him but enjoy his meat and bones roles best. Again, thank goodness that they aren't updating the plot but they can't replicate the masterpiece that the original Mildred Pierce is by no means.

I agree about Jack Carson. The same is true of Eve Arden. Who could possibly do a better job than she did? Not surprisingly, she received her only Oscar nomination for this movie. I hope they know what they are doing in trying to remake this classic.

Terrence.

Oh hi, used to be on here but was sent "away" for a while. Back now and watching movies, lots.

Anyhow, WHAT? They're remaking MP with Winslet??? Why touch it and why with her???

YOU FOOLS!

h5. IN#764/307_TX C/Block

Edited by: ItsTheBigDubya on May 28, 2010 2:44 AM

Edited by: ItsTheBigDubya on May 28, 2010 2:45 AM

> {quote:title=Terrence1 wrote:}{quote}

> I agree about Jack Carson. The same is true of Eve Arden.

I agree too. My Mom who grew up with these movies cannot understand my admiration for Jack Carson. To her, he's just an "extra" in the story. I just love the fact he is great in light comedy and can also deliver powerful dramatic performances when needed. A real underrated talent.

Eve Arden is just fun, she's so glib.

I originally thought a remake of Mildred Pierce was a great idea since kids today are reticent to watch "old b&w movies" and it's a great story of a strong, independent woman. Making it a "period piece" is a mistake, it'll be just as much of a turn off for the younger set and shows lack of creativity.

Kind of reminds me of the disaster Psycho remake.

A shame there just isn't an original thought in Hollywood these days.

i love kate, but come on, who can replace Crawford in anything??????????????????/ the next big thing with be a remake of Camille with Madonna playing Camille!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is how ridiculous i think the who remake stuff is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

And WHY are they filming it in New York??? The novel was set in Glendale, CA, and the Crawford movie was all filmed in Southern Cal. What's the point of changing it to a New York setting? I think it might be a good attempt at a remake as the casting seems well done, but the refusal to honor the original locale seems not very promising.

I agree with you. This new version being filmed in New York! That is ****!! The original has such an awesome L. A. feel that should be respected. If someone is going to redo this amazing movie, which is also BS, then at least make the City of Angels the backdrop and background for this remake. So many film noirs use L.A. as the chosen city, and this one should be no different. I mean, and I could be wrong, doesn't Vida talk about going to Mexico and isn't the beach house in Malibu or Santa Monica? So where is the beach house going to be in this remake, Coney Island or Jones Beach? Total disrespect for the City of Glendale and L.A. proper. And why would anyone even consider remaking this classic film noir? How friggin' stupid and unoriginal! That just makes me mad and I will not watch it.

Kate-Winslet-Wears-Costumes-of-the-Forti

Kate Winslet Wears Costumes of the Forties in Her New HBO Mini Series, ?Mildred Pierce?

?Mildred Pierce? was one of the iconic films of the mid 1940?s: taken from a James M. Cain pulp novel, it starred Joan Crawford, who won an Oscar for playing Mildred Pierce, a New York divorcee who is middle aged, and must take a waitressing job to support her family. Eventually, she breaks into the restaurant business, but has big conflicts with her daughter ? and there?s big big drama in the family. Of course, Crawford rocked those dramatic big shouldered blouses and jackets of the forties, and looked ? well, middle aged. And she was, at the time. The movie utterly revived her career.

Now Oscar winner Kate Winslet is taking on the role, in a forthcoming HBO mini series she?s now shooting on the streets of New York right now. And she, too, is going for the forties frump, the big shouldered look ? it?s crazy what these clothes can do to the way a woman looks. Kate is only 34, but the movie will make her appear older ? as she has to be mom to actress Evan Rachel Wood, playing her daughter. The director is Todd Haynes, who?s made very stylish period films, and it also stars the amazing Guy Pearce and Melissa Leo. Will the frumpy printed tea dress return as a trend? We?ve seen Prada do it in the past, so who knows?? Interesting that Kate Winslet would chose to follow her Oscar with an HBO mini series, as opposed to a film. That tells you something about the state of movies today.

I don't understand the frumpy look. If my recollection serves me correctly, even while working as a waitress, Joan Crawford did not look frumpy in this film. She always had that classy big shoulder pads '40's look, and Mildred Pierce was no exception. Good grief, a remake of Mildred Pierce. Is nothing sacred anymore?

> {quote:title=SoCalGal16 wrote:}{quote}

> I agree with you. This new version being filmed in New York! That is ****!! The original has such an awesome L. A. feel that should be respected. If someone is going to redo this amazing movie, which is also BS, then at least make the City of Angels the backdrop and background for this remake. So many film noirs use L.A. as the chosen city, and this one should be no different. I mean, and I could be wrong, doesn't Vida talk about going to Mexico and isn't the beach house in Malibu or Santa Monica? So where is the beach house going to be in this remake, Coney Island or Jones Beach? Total disrespect for the City of Glendale and L.A. proper. And why would anyone even consider remaking this classic film noir? How friggin' stupid and unoriginal! That just makes me mad and I will not watch it.

A: Have you been to Glendale, CA? In no way, shape or form does it look anything like the way it did in the 1930's. That look is harder and harder to find anywhere in strip-malled, freeway-riven Southern California.

The exteriors, many of which were shot in my hometown of Peekskill, NY, look as credibly 1930s precisely because the production chose to find a location that could double for long-ago Glendale and Los Angeles. Here, judge for yourself:

B: MILDRED PIERCE isn't really Film Noir.

C: What you should be complaining about is that color and the modern styles and techniques are antithetical to telling a story like this. One of the things that makes the original film work as well as it does, and that makes it as memorable as it is is that it was made in a very traditional way, by people who lived through the era it portrays only a few years earlier. Re-creating earlier eras has become such a self-conscious exercise these days that the battle's usually already lost before the camera's ever turn.

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> Kate-Winslet-Wears-Costumes-of-the-Forti

>

> Kate Winslet Wears Costumes of the Forties in Her New HBO Mini Series, Mildred Pierce

>

>

> Mildred Pierce was one of the iconic films of the mid 1940s: taken from a James M. Cain pulp novel, it starred Joan Crawford, who won an Oscar for playing Mildred Pierce, a New York divorcee who is middle aged, and must take a waitressing job to support her family. Eventually, she breaks into the restaurant business, but has big conflicts with her daughter and theres big big drama in the family. Of course, Crawford rocked those dramatic big shouldered blouses and jackets of the forties, and looked well, middle aged. And she was, at the time. The movie utterly revived her career.

>

>

>

> Now Oscar winner Kate Winslet is taking on the role, in a forthcoming HBO mini series shes now shooting on the streets of New York right now. And she, too, is going for the forties frump, the big shouldered look its crazy what these clothes can do to the way a woman looks. Kate is only 34, but the movie will make her appear older as she has to be mom to actress Evan Rachel Wood, playing her daughter. The director is Todd Haynes, whos made very stylish period films, and it also stars the amazing Guy Pearce and Melissa Leo. Will the frumpy printed tea dress return as a trend? Weve seen Prada do it in the past, so who knows?? Interesting that Kate Winslet would chose to follow her Oscar with an HBO mini series, as opposed to a film. That tells you something about the state of movies today.

I'm sorry, but Kate is obviously wearing costumes of the 1930's, not the 40's, as stated above. Geez, HBO, get it right.

I love the Crawford film, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this remake. Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses working today.

Sandy K

I see the palm trees imported for the scenes in the background, so it appears they are trying to preserve the So Cal setting and at least try to make it look like So Cal. Thank goodness they're not just randomly changing the story to make it set in upstate New York. Agreed that Glendale looks nothing like it did in the '30's, but there are isolated streets that still have the old time look in L.A. -- Old Town Orange, for instance, and even some streets in Old Town Pasadena could be fixed up to look completely dated.

Eastwood's "Changeling" used a combination of filming around selected spots in So Cal, an old Universal backlot, and LOTS of CGI. Still, it was mainly filmed around the L.A. area and looked amazingly real. But perhaps they'll do a good job with the re-creation back in New York. Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Frankly, I don't get it! First I agree with the comments regarding the fact that Los Angeles is highly integrated into the plot and the "feel" of the story of Mildred Pierce. Whether the Movie is made in NYC, Chicago or Cairo...Los Angeles as a City has its own unique context; which lends itself to the texture of film noir. I grew up in New York City but I lived in Los Angeles and I know from experience that although they are both "big cities"...they have a completely different "rhythm and style".

Los Angeles with its constant sunshine and glamour has a unique "undertone" of desperation! Imagine, being in an environment that is sunny and energetic and yet...there is a gaudiness, a peculiar sleaziness associated with living on the margins. If you read James Ellroy; he is, in my opinion, the only present day Writer who is able to capture the essence of living a life of despair in Los Angeles. The stories written by Raymond Chandler, James Cain and James Ellroy are to a great extent stories about life in the City of the Angels. Similarly, every City or small town has its unique social setting and characters. Can you tell a story about Las Vegas in Iowa...can you tell a story about New Orleans in Chicago!

Mildred Pierce is a story about many things including life in Los Angeles at a particular point in time. Finally, the issues related to the art of film in Black & White vs. Color; with specific regard to the Film Noir style introduces a topic that would take pages to discuss...the headline being that they are two unrelated means of expression!

Bottomline; although I would probably watch the HBO version...you really can not copy the Mona Lisa...neither should we assume that it should be "redrawn" in a modern style to allow a new generation to understand its meaning...certain works of art are unique to when they were created...the original Mildred Pierce is one example of my theory!

Comotte

Now that I know more about what they are planning I'm disapointed. I see no reason to try to copy the original Mildred Pierce. Why not just keep the basic story and set the action in another town. In other words try to be original. The more it is like the 1945 version the less I need to see it. I'll just watch the 1945 version.

Kate is a very good actress so I was hoping she would bring her own uniqueness to the part. No cannot and shouldn't even try to redo what Crawford did.

This version of Mildred Pierce is being done my the director Todd Haynes, who did the homage to '50's melodramas in his film "Far from Heaven", so he apparently likes to do period piece films. I thought it was very well done, so hopefully he'll do the same with this remake. However, the difference is that he is filming the NOVEL Mildred Pierce, not the film version. The film Mildred Pierce had marked differences from the novel. The ending was completely changed, the murder added to make it a noir and a mystery. The novel MP is much more of a soap opera and dealt more with a woman trying to struggle and survive during the Depression. The film deleted all references to the Great Depression because they figured audiences at that time wouldn't want to see a film that forced them to relive those unhappy days.

Mildred Pierce the novel was set in L.A., as I believe all of James M. Cain's novels were. The location was an integral part of the story. So if you're making a film based on the novel, it would be ridiculous not to set it in L.A. I mean, if you want to follow that kind of logic, let's do a remake of Gone with the Wind, but because we can film it much cheaper up in Vancouver, let's change the location and make it Gone with the Wind Goes Canadian. Or how about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn filmed in Louisiana? May as well just change it to A Tree Grows in Shreveport, right? With that kind of reasoning, all of the films that were shot in the old days in Hollywood should have been set in L.A. Hollywood may not have always been able to make their stories look like where they were supposed to be set, but they did try and succeeded very well sometimes.

Who knows, film companies are so mobile now, they may do some scenes in L.A. eventually. I'm willing to give a remake a chance when they're trying something new and different, such as the Coen Brothers remaking True Grit. Again, they're basing it more on the original novel rather than the old film.

• 1 month later...

*'Mildred Pierce' in Roster of Upcoming HBO Films.‎*

August 7, 2010

*Kate Winslet stars in a five-part miniseries of the classic "Mildred Pierce" for HBO that will debut in spring.*

The production, directed by Todd Haynes from the James M. Cain novel of the Depression that also includes Guy Pearce, Evan Rachel Wood, Brian O'Byrne is one of a number of movie projects coming next year from HBO.

Among the others, announced in the final session of the TV Critics Press Tour Sunday is a TV film capturing the making of first reality series "An American Family" - with James Gandolfini, Diane Lane and Tim Robbins.

Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson will star in "The Sunset Limited," based on the play by the same name by Cormac McCarthy. The film, directed by Jones, debuts in HBO on Feb. 2011.

Nicole Kidman and Clive Owen star in "Hemingway & Gellhorn" about the marriage of Ernest Hemingway and Martha Gellhorn, directed by Phil Kaufman. Filming starts in February for a debut in 2012.