Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Souls for Sale" (1923)

HollywoodGolightly

TCM is showing this one on Sunday as part of its "History of Hollywood" lineup - I think that is why we get 2 silents this Sunday instead of just one. Has anyone seen this before?

*Souls for Sale* (1923)

In this silent film, a young woman turns Hollywood upside down in her search for stardom.

Cast: Eleanor Boardman, Mae Busch, Barbara La Marr, Richard Dix Dir: Rupert Hughes BW-90 mins, TV-G

I remember liking this one but I haven't watched it for a long while. This is one of William Haines' first films. He plays as assistant director named Pinky. There are lots of cameos by real stars....

Holly,

Souls for Sale is one of TCM's more frequently run Silents from the old Young Film Composers Competition. Marcus Sojwell's score is excellent. Eleanor Boardman Stars. Lew Cody is the Villain. Richard Dix and Frank Mayo provide the Romantic interest.

This was a Metro-Goldwyn Silent produced just prior to the formation of MGM. The film was frankly in pretty ragged shape. The original opening credits seem to be lost. Probably not 100% complete otherwise either. Still looks pretty good, but not great. Remarkable cast including Barbara LaMarr, plus all kinds of Cameo's by famous Stars and directors.

This movie was released by Warner Archive on DVD-R last year. Not a great Silent, but very interesting for all the guest appearances and as early Eleanor Boardman. Richard Dix was becoming a big name. Released the same year as De Mille's blockbuster *THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)* in which He Starred with Mrs. John Gilbert Leatrice Joy.