Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

FIRST RATE SECOND BANANAS - the supporting players

Harold J. Stone - what a fine actor. His portrayal of Nick Barbella in Somebody Up There Likes Me for example, showcased this man's heavy duty presence on the screen. Unfortunately for us he didn't make that many movies but I'd be hard put to find another actor who appeared more than Harold on episodic television.

A salute to Harold J. Stone, character actor supreme.

Oooh, yes!

He's another actor who I just know from childhood - as if he were a part of my family! He was on EVERYTHING!

Edited by: JackFavell on Sep 1, 2010 7:43 PM

I'll second that. I just saw him playing a Mexican dictator on Cheyenne and as usual, he was letter perfect. Westerns, gangster films, Biblical epics-you never knew where he'd turn up next. I really liked him; thank you for bringing him to our attention again.

Harold Gould has passed away. This dapper gentleman was always superb - charming, with laughing eyes, full of a kind nobility you just don't see anymore.

I once saw him in *The Skin of Our Teeth*, and came away realizing that this man was much more than just a "sit-com" actor. He could turn from comedy to drama on a dime, and always gave you the impression that it was easy.

I could not find any candid photos in which he was not smiling, and it certainly looks like he enjoyed cracking up his fellow actors. He will be missed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rhoda's father! That's how I'll always remember him. He did

seem like a real gent. Great pictures, Jackie.

Harold Gould - he did so many fine roles - good guy, bad guy, sinister and scheming, or outright physically terrifying. His was another great, distinctive voice under his complete control, and he took us wherever he wanted to in his characterizations. Watching THE STING a few weeks ago, I was marveling that it was Harold Gould that really has a great but small set of scenes to do. So excellent in every one of them.

He's one of these actors that probably dressed up every stage he was on - gave it a higher class, just by walking out.

And Gould's another actor that was more compelling to watch over the years - it wasn't just his looks, but His Look, too.

Hi Ollie!

I love him in The Sting - he was born to wear those thirties clothes!

As dapper as he was, he could also play down to earth - he played the original Artie Shaughnessy in *House of Blue Leaves* by John Guare. Artie is a zookeeper who dreams of being a songwriter, but whose complicated family life and the media's coverage of the Pope's visit to New York all end up keeping him from his dream.

Reading your post i was reminded of yet another marvellous 2nd banana who never failed to satisfy on screen the memorable MICKEY SHAUGHNESSY. Occasionally they allowed him to play role models such as HUNK" who guides and educates the young Elvis in JAIL HOUSE ROCK. However, It seemed the studios pegged mickey to be the lovable bumbler through most of his career and he did do it well. In DESIGNING WOMAN he is Maxie Stultz determined to protect Gregory peck and this while HE WAS MAK'IN A COMEBACK. He was the dumb bad guy JUMBO who Glen Ford sets straight in THE SHEEPMAN and lets not forget THE dukes nemesis drunken buffoon BOGGSEY in NORTH TO ALASKA.

Mickey was a delight in every film he appeared in FROM HERE TO ETERINTY, POCKETFUL OF MIRICLES, foul mouthed Farragut Jones in DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER. My only regret is that Mickey left us so young (65) I for one could have stood a lot more of his bumbling, R.I.P.

Hi, stjohnrv!

I find that happening to me all the time. One character actor leads to another, and then another.

MIckey Shaughnessy (with Tom Ewell and Mickey Rooney, and also with you know who):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This thread is always a mixed blessing. So many wonderful character actors are finally getting much deserved recognition but often it comes too late for them to know it. I think Mickey Shaughnessy got an Oscar nomination and Harold Gould was up for some Emmys. If they were in it, I watched it. Thank you, gentlemen, from your grateful fans.

Ha! In DESIGNING WOMAN, I always laugh when Lauren Bacall gets a look at Mickey and screams, "That man has no nose!"

This thread - this topic - always presents the problem: one great 2nd Banana begets another, and another, and another...

I know that, in the last 20 years, I've put more 2nd-banana names to their faces, and those are often why I "collect" the films. Oh yeah, sure, that Cary or Cooper fellow, the Tierneys and Rosalinds happen to be in those, too... but when I've seen a film over and over, it's invariably because of the 2nd Bananas, not the stars, not the story.

I also think this is a normal path for any film fan - eventually today's youngest film fans will want to look back. "What else has this person done? Why is that other person so familiar? I didn't realize THIS director did THOSE films, too!"

MICKEY - particularly as Farragut in Don't Go Near the Water. Even with all the relaxing (to say the least) of the language rules in movies now, Mickey still surprises the audience with his hilarious foul-mouthed sailor.

Another side to Mickey was his restrained and sensitive performance (except the anniversary tipsy scene, well of course) as Pat Bundy, brother-in-law to Judy Holliday in The Marrying Kind. His speech to Aldo re his satisfaction with his life as a butcher shop owner, this while putting papillotes (I looked it up), panties on a lamb crown roast, having no ambition beyond his modest living, was delivered by a master actor.

Now THIS is acting:

Photobucket

Photobucket

*Ward Bond* and *Elizabeth Risdon* from Tall in the Saddle

(Thanks to Pvitari from the SSO website for these outstanding screencaps)

Hahahaaaaa!! No doubt MANY characters in MANY films would have loved

to do that to Wardy!! :D:D

"TALL IN THE SADDLE" is one of my favorites. I love to see Wayne with Ella Raines. I love her 'edge' at the beginning. I love how he towered over her and Gail Russell.

He's a man alrighty!

Just saw a little of "It Happened One Night" and there was Ward as a bus conductor. He and John Ridgely and Louis Jean Heydt made every movie ever made, right?

I love that look on Elizabeth Risdon's face! Absolutely perfect.

Another nominee for the Norma Desmond "We don't need dialog - we had faces!" Award.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "TALL IN THE SADDLE" is one of my favorites. I love to see Wayne with Ella Raines. I love her 'edge' at the beginning. I love how he towered over her and Gail Russell.

>

> He's a man alrighty!

>

> Just saw a little of "It Happened One Night" and there was Ward as a bus conductor. He and John Ridgely and Louis Jean Heydt made every movie ever made, right?

I love *Tall in the Saddle* too, for all your reasons.

And don't forget to add Charles Lane to that list of prolific actors. Would the classic era be so classic without them? Something would be missing.

I think we can all agree that the really good supporting actors made most of the movies they were in. Does anyone know what kind of pay they received? I realize they made a great many more movies that the stars, but I doubt their pay scale was anywhere near what the stars in the movie made. I just wondered what John Ridgely, Ward Bond or Elisha Cook made? Anyone out there have an answer?

Character actors are the flavor to a film. They can be the most eccentric or the most natural of people in a film. They are often the most down to earth.