Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kybabe3

Your town becomes movie town

I am new here as you can see by the number of my postings. I thought it might be interesting to see how many of us live in an area where Hollywood has come a-calling to make a movies in our hometown or general area. For example I live in Kentucky and there have been several movies made in or at least some scenes shot in the state. I remember watching some scenes being films for the movie "Stripes" and whenever I see it know I marvel at how much the city of Louisville has changed. Does anyone have a story about a movie being filmed in your home town? Since I am new and if there idea has been discussed in previous threads, forgive me.

Hi, welcome aboard. :)

I lived in New Orleans when they were shooting ?The Cincinnati Kid? and also when they were filming ?This Property Is Condemned?.

Here?s a photo I took of Tuesday Weld during a break in the French Quarter during the filming of "The Cincinnati Kid":

2hhd3qe.jpg

Welcome to the Boards. The movie "We Are Marshall" (2006) was filmed on location in Huntington, West Virginia which is a few miles from where I live. If you pick up WSAZ, you might remember that they kept us informed during production and about having people to come out to serve as extras during some of the filming.

Several years ago as I was traveling out west, I stopped in the town of Sparta, Illinois where the movie In The Heat Of The Night was filmed ( the story was about the town of Sparta, Mississippi.) The train station is still there and they have some memorabilia from the movie on display. I had the chance to talk to a local resident, he told me of several locations just out of town that were used. Some of the local residents who were used in the movie still live there. The nearby town of Chester is where the bridge across the Mississippi River is located. Looks just like it did in the movie from 40+ years ago. Chester, by the way, is also the "home" of Popeye the Sailor.

*Patty Duke was in our area in the '90"s to make a movie for TV called Harvest Of Fire. Since the story evolves around the Amish community, they had to go to the town of nearby Kalona, IA to recruit the Amish's horses and buggies. The film also had Millie Perkins and Lolita Davidovich. Pretty exciting week, here in IOWA.*

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Michigan recently, well, a couple of years ago, established big tax breaks for the movie biz, so there have been a bunch of films shot around here, and they are building studios in some big old vacant buildings.

My only personal story is that in the summer of '08, I went downtown to go to the Obama campaign HQ, to get some lawn signs. Well, the street was blocked off, and the HQ was disguised with a false store-front, because it was all being used as a movie set. But they weren't shooting at the moment, so I was allowed in.

I don't live all that far from the [Hurley Mountain Inn|http://www.hurleymountaininn.com/history.html], which was used in the movie *Tootsie*.

Well I live in the LA area so it's kinda cheating. But my closest icons that appear in a LOT of classic films are the LA county arboretum (lots of jungle scenes filmed there, i.e. all the road movies) and the famous Santa Anita Racetrack (pretty much every race track you see in old movies is Santa Anita, especially A Day at the Races). Both are less than five minutes from me. Everything else is a bit further away. So those are the ones I claim.

Well, I'm not going to name the city, but "Logan's Run," the 1976 version, was filmed in the city in which I live. Part of the film was shot in one of the local malls, but, probably the most recognizable scene shot in the film was shot in the Water Gardens, which are still located in the downtown party of the city. And when I first saw the film in 1976, I was living somewhere else. Who actually thought I'd some day move to the city in which the film was shot.

I lived in Victoria, B.C. when the company came to town to make "Harry in Your Pocket" (at that time called "Harry Never Holds"). The city was very excited that a Hollywood movie was being made there. I saw several instances of it being filmed and saw James Coburn, Michael Sarrazin, Trish Van Devere, and Walter Pidgeon. Asked Coburn and Pidgeon for autographs on two occasions - non-busy moments where they were filming and on two different days - but got turned down by them both times. Never cared much for either after that.

One of the joys of Los Angeles as a film location is seeing how the city evolved over the years through motion pictures. Pre-WWII and post-WWII Los Angeles (and the Valley) are two very different beings and much of it is captured on film thanks to filming in LA.

Well, not just my town, but the streets outside of where I work have become a set. They are shooting Salvation Boulevard, Starring Jennifer Connelly, Marisa Tomei, Pierce Brosnan, and Ed Harris right outside the library where I work, right now. Someone from the film crew came in earlier, and said that they would be taking their porta-potties away at 2am, and there would be about 20 people still working, so could they come in the library to use the facilities. Of course I said yes. Wonder if I'll see any stars this am? Probably not.

> {quote:title=TheTexasKid wrote:}{quote}

> Well, I'm not going to name the city, but "Logan's Run," the 1976 version, was filmed in the city in which I live. Part of the film was shot in one of the local malls, but, probably the most recognizable scene shot in the film was shot in the Water Gardens, which are still located in the downtown party of the city. And when I first saw the film in 1976, I was living somewhere else. Who actually thought I'd some day move to the city in which the film was shot.

Why be so coy about it? The above-mentioned Water Gardens are in Fort Worth, Texas. Many scenes were filmed in and around the so-called Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex (it's such a terrible film, you'd think the local chambers of commerce would deny any involvement).

I live in the town where part of *The Hellfighters* with John Wayne was filmed ( It was about oilfield fireman Red Adair). And they are still talkin' about it. One of the local writers discusses it every year or so in *The Baytown Sun*. The old Palms Motel where they stayed is still standing just a few miles from where I'm penning this post.