Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Petition for the complete "A Star Is Born"

If this is true, a serious, die hard film collector never will submit to revealing what they might have! This is because the copyright law has always stipulated that no one outright has any control or ownership to having a film, without the expressed, legal permission of whoever holds the rights. At any given moment, the original owner (in this case the studio or producer) can simply demand the film back or cease it. In the past, those private collectors who came forward with their 35mm prints, lost them in all sorts of legal battles, never to retain what they had over the course of many years. The studios or original owners to the film, offered to settle the matter on either a video version or a restore print to the collector that in this case takes away the whole allure of having the original. Most collectors refused this deal and don?t trust anyone.

I myself have known various private collectors of original prints and even attempted to have the films brought out for restoration. But naturally, the resistance to coming forward is usually sparked by the fear of losing the print. Such as been the case with various widescreen films of the 1950s. These films are important from an historical value, because aside from the widescreen issue, comes with it the 4 or 6 track stereophonic sound that can be restored beautifully by today?s standards. This situation reminds me of private art collectors, who attain lost or stolen paintings, later on to displayed them in out of the way places; giving the collector a sort of pride and egomania surrounding the pleasure of having something that most everyone else would admire and prize. It doesn?t surprise me that there are still lots of lost or forgotten masterpieces out there roaming around in somebody?s basement or stored in their media room.

The last time I heard of any full-length print of the 1954 ?A Star is Born? was someone in of all places, the country of Turkey, saying they had one! After a bit of research, this proved to be a bogus pursuit. It?s been reported that when the film was completed at Warner Brothers, at least a dozen original prints of the full-length version were available. But, over the years stories surfaced that these prints were destroyed. It?s likely that perhaps one or two of these prints managed to get into somebody?s hands. I can?t believe, based on my experience with this matter that there isn?t a really good, complete version of the motion picture still around. But then, amid the flow of time and circumstance, we have to hope that whoever has the film, managed to keep it under safe and good conditions.