Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I'm watching Never Say Goodbye with Errol Flynn and Eleanor Parker.  I was itching to watch it and decided to give into my whims and watch it.

This is such a sweet film.  Definitely not a classic like The Adventures of Robin Hood or Scaramouche, but it is pleasant and entertaining--which that's all you can really ask for in a film, right? To be entertaining?

There are so many reasons I enjoy this film.

1) Errol.  Duh.

2) I really like Eleanor Parker and enjoy her performances in each of her films I see.  She and Errol make a great looking couple in this film as well.

3) SZ Sakall is hilarious.

4) Errol sings (!)

5) Errol's Bogart "impression."  (It was actually Errol Flynn lip syncing to Humphrey Bogart's actual voice). 

6) Seeing Forrest Tucker carry Flynn around like a rag doll essentially.  This really goes to show how big and tall Tucker was.  Flynn is not a small man and Tucker towers over him. 

7) Hattie McDaniel.  She cracks me up. 

8) Eleanor Parker's wild earrings.  They go all the way around her ear.

9) My thinking that Errol's adorable accent was causing him to "mispronounce" the word truffles as "troofles" only for me to look it up online and find out that he is pronouncing the word correctly and I'm the one pronouncing it wrong.

10) Errol's not so hidden disdain for his former mother-in-law whom he feels was partially responsible for his divorce from Eleanor Parker... ERROL (as Santa): Let's see what's here for the old bag...err... in the old bag." 

He is so pretty, even in his hangover scene.  If only I would look so good the day after a big bender (Note: I do not engage in big all night benders, it would not be a pretty scene). 

never-say-goodbye-bogart.png

This is such a sweet film.  Definitely not a classic like The Adventures of Robin Hood or Scaramouche, but it is pleasant and entertaining--which that's all you can really ask for in a film, right? To be entertaining?

Have you watched: Footsteps in the Dark (1941)?

I found it to be entertaining. Errol Flynn is strait-laced investment banker who writes mystery novels surreptitiously and becomes involved in real murder case. Brenda Marshall is adequate in role as his wife. It has: Alan Hale, Alan Jenkins, William Frawley and Lucile Watson who are all quite wonderful in their roles.

Have you watched: Footsteps in the Dark (1941)?

I found it to be entertaining. Errol Flynn is strait-laced investment banker who writes mystery novels surreptitiously and becomes involved in real murder case. Brenda Marshall is adequate in role as his wife. It has: Alan Hale, Alan Jenkins, William Frawley and Lucile Watson who are all quite wonderful in their roles.

Yes I have seen this film--multiple times. I picked up a copy last year off the Warner Archives. I really enjoyed this film. I loved Flynn's stereotypical Texas Cowboy persona that he adopts as a disguise. He had a flair for comedy, which makes it a shame that he wasn't able to make more of these films. I'm sure he would have been real adept at many of the roles Cary Grant played.

I'm watching Never Say Goodbye with Errol Flynn and Eleanor Parker.  I was itching to watch it and decided to give into my whims and watch it.

There are so many reasons I enjoy this film.

7) Hattie McDaniel.  She cracks me up. 

Did you notice that Hattie McDaniel, playing the maid (natch!), disappears from the film when it has a half hour to go? Much as the other characters in the household all love Hattie, too, nobody pays much attention to the fact that she's no longer around. Later a white maid turns up to serve the family. The white maid comes from nowhere. She hadn't been in the film previously (it was all Hattie) and no one says anything to her.

Maybe Forrest Tucker picked her up and carried her away. ;)

Did you notice that Hattie McDaniel, playing the maid (natch!), disappears from the film when it has a half hour to go? Much as the other characters in the household all love Hattie, too, nobody pays much attention to the fact that she's no longer around. Later a white maid turns up to serve the family. The white maid comes from nowhere. She hadn't been in the film previously (it was all Hattie) and no one says anything to her.

Lol. I never noticed that. Maybe Hattie is Errol's personal housekeeper and the white maid is Eleanor Parker's?

Speaking of Mary Astor I just watched And So They Were Married,  a Columbia film she made with Melvyn Douglas released in 1936.

Nice movie and one that while a lot of the action is centered around the two children (one each for Astor and Douglas),  generally the kids are not annoying especially Edith Fellows as Astor's daughter.    Fellows was also very good in the Columbia film She Married the Boss (1935) also with Douglas (he is her father in this one) and  Claudette Colbert as his second wife.  

Get-TV features many 30s Columbia films and I was glad to catch these films since TCM tends to show only the well known 30s Columbia films.

Both those films have aired on TCM. Perhaps not often, but they have shown up. 

You have to keep in mind that Get-TV has a much smaller catalogue of films, if they are relying primarily on just one studio's output (Columbia's). TCM is using four or five major studios' films each day.

I'm watching "The Brady Bunch." I didn't get care what anyone says, I love this show. It's my #3 show behind "I Love Lucy" and " The Mary Tyler Moore Show." It's the episode where Marcia dates a rival Quarterback.

HOUSE - Episode entitled "Frozen" with Mira Sorvino.  I watched this series when it first was on Network TV and now it's on WE network along with my all-time favorite TV Program Law & Order and Law & Order Criminal Intent. As for these two Law & Order series they're all over cable now so I watch them whenever I can in addition to TCM and my favorite PBS programs. I must have my Law & Order.

For the last several nights I have been watching season one episodes of The Big Valley on Hulu. Stanwyck and the younger cast are great, but it's those guest stars that really help put it over. Jill St. John is fantastic in an episode called 'Barbary Red.' And there is a very humorous episode with Claude Akins as an Irishman who clashes with Nick (Peter Breck). Good stuff!

I wondered about that too!  As a big fan of hers, I had to wonder......

For the last several nights I have been watching season one episodes of The Big Valley on Hulu. Stanwyck and the younger cast are great, but it's those guest stars that really help put it over. Jill St. John is fantastic in an episode called 'Barbary Red.' And there is a very humorous episode with Claude Akins as an Irishman who clashes with Nick (Peter Breck). Good stuff!

After I posted this yesterday, I decided to buy seasons 2, 3 & 4 on Amazon, since only the streaming episodes are available for season 1. 

But then I suddenly remembered buying the entire set on DVD awhile back. I had moved in late June/early July and gave a lot of stuff away when I left Wisconsin and came to Colorado. Some things I regretted donating or giving to relatives, I might add, because they were items I could still have used. 

So I wasn't sure when I went into one of the bedrooms to go through some boxes, if I still had The Big Valley set. And in the very last box, way down deep, there it was...!

As soon as I finish season 1 on Hulu, I will probably watch the first few episodes of season 2 later this weekend. The weather is getting colder, so this is the perfect sort of stay-at-home and watch classic entertainment I enjoy.

Right now I'm watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with Danny Kaye that I recorded off TCM a few weeks ago.  So far, the film is entertaining.  The only other Danny Kaye film I've seen is White Christmas.  I'm enjoying Kaye's performance and will be on the lookout for more of his films on future TCM schedules.

• Like 1

Last night I watched a marathon of The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau eps.  I get that nature shows are not everyone's cup of tea, but these are great.  He explored the ocean's depths not only for marine life but his team also did a lot of treasure and artifact hunting.  Cousteau accomplished a lot in his career - besides all of his world travels, he also invented the Aqualung - which not only helped divers, but it gave Jethro Tull a hit song. ;)

(And I never knew before that John Denver's song "Calypso" was about Cousteau's ship...)

• Like 1

Right now I'm watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with Danny Kaye that I recorded off TCM a few weeks ago.  So far, the film is entertaining.  The only other Danny Kaye film I've seen is White Christmas.  I'm enjoying Kaye's performance and will be on the lookout for more of his films on future TCM schedules.

Speedy, the next time The Court Jester is on, watch it. One of if not Danny's best comedic performances. In fact the whole cast, Mildred Natwick, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, Robert Middleton, Angela Lansbury are hilarious. If you like Danny Kaye, this film is a must.

One of the very few dramatic performances by Danny was in the film The Five Pennies. Very touching film and proves Danny really  could do it all.

• Like 1

Speedy, the next time The Court Jester is on, watch it. One of if not Danny's best comedic performances. In fact the whole cast, Mildred Natwick, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, Robert Middleton, Angela Lansbury are hilarious. If you like Danny Kaye, this film is a must.

One of the very few dramatic performances by Danny was in the film The Five Pennies. Very touching film and proves Danny really  could do it all.

Thank you Lavender.  I will definitely look out for it.  I looked at Danny Kaye's profile on TCM and unfortunately, there aren't any Kaye films on the horizon.  I hope that Netflix or Amazon Prime have more of his films.

I loved him in White Christmas and had only ever seen him in this film.  After 'Walter Mitty' I'm seeing how talented he was and I really like him.  Thanks TCM!

• Like 1

At this moment, I am watching BLANCHE FURY on Amazon Prime. Ian Patrick sent a message to me yesterday saying he wanted to do a joint-review on this film. So I decided to set aside 90 minutes and devote myself to it. I truly love this post-war British picture...

At this moment, I am watching BLANCHE FURY on Amazon Prime. Ian Patrick sent a message to me yesterday saying he wanted to do a joint-review on this film. So I decided to set aside 90 minutes and devote myself to it. I truly love this post-war British picture...

Is that the film with Valerie Hobson? If so, then I've seen that one... It's been a while though.

I am now watching In Society (1944) with Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. I finally decided to try watching their films, and so far I'm not disappointed. Marion Hutton, Betty Hutton's sister, (who sang with the Glenn Miller Orchestra) is in it, and she's adorable. I have become a fan of Abbott & Costello's. This kind of comedy is definitely reminiscent of its time.

Is that the film with Valerie Hobson? If so, then I've seen that one... It's been a while though.

Yes, it most definitely is...I wound up watching it twice yesterday and then once again this afternoon. It's my favorite gothic melodrama of the 1940s...I like it better than REBECCA...Marc Allegret's use of Technicolor in BLANCHE FURY is incredible. Hobson couldn't be better. I find it to be one of the most commercial "art" films I've ever watched. It seems exactly like something Michaelangelo Antonioni would have done, if he had been working in England immediately after the war.

Yes, it most definitely is...I wound up watching it twice yesterday and then once again this afternoon. It's my favorite gothic melodrama of the 1940s...I like it better than REBECCA...Marc Allegret's use of Technicolor in BLANCHE FURY is incredible. Hobson couldn't be better. I find it to be one of the most commercial "art" films I've ever watched. It seems exactly like something Michaelangelo Antonioni would have done, if he had been working in England immediately after the war.

I love that film!  (Great Expectations, 1934).  Yes, Valerie Hobson was Biddy the governess to Pip and later became the nurse to his sister Mrs. Gargery who was attacked in their home by a crazy man who worked for Mr. Gargery, the blacksmith.    (When they all returned home and found her unconscious Biddy became her nurse).  This was in the original 1934 Great Expectations. 

Love this film!  You will love Knock on Wood and Wonder Man.  Hope these will air soon on TCM.   Danny had a very special talent; a unique sense of humor that got him into trouble in different situations. Of course things get ironed out, but we enjoy the journey!  2 other great Danny Kaye films are Court Jester and Up in Arms.  I saw all of these when I was a teenager in the early 70's and find that I enjoy them just as much today.  A few years ago my teenaged children enjoyed Danny's antics too!

Yes, Jane Wyatt was great as Estella (Pip's love interest), but I do  I feel it was wrong for Valerie's scenes to be deleted.   (Darn me!  I taped the complete film which aired on a UHF channel in 1984 or '85.  Needing another VHS, I taped over GE, thinking I could always retape a period piece.  I was

wrong, for all subsequent airings and EVEN the professional VHS in the 90's was cut, as well as the ultimate DVD. 

If anyone knows someone who taped this film in 1984 or '85, I would really appreciate contacting them.  I would love to see the complete film again.  One of my friends recently observed that it was strange that this TV station did show the uncut film and then

perpetuate all the airings since!  On every channel.

I love Blanche Fury too!  The Technicolor is fantastic in it.   Valerie was superb in that film too! 

I love that film!  (Great Expectations, 1934).  Yes, Valerie Hobson was Biddy the governess to Pip and later became the nurse to his sister Mrs. Gargery who was attacked in their home by a crazy man who worked for Mr. Gargery, the blacksmith.    (When they all returned home and found her unconscious Biddy became her nurse).  This was in the original 1934 Great Expectations. 

Love this film!  You will love Knock on Wood and Wonder Man.  Hope these will air soon on TCM.   Danny had a very special talent; a unique sense of humor that got him into trouble in different situations. Of course things get ironed out, but we enjoy the journey!  2 other great Danny Kaye films are Court Jester and Up in Arms.  I saw all of these when I was a teenager in the early 70's and find that I enjoy them just as much today.  A few years ago my teenaged children enjoyed Danny's antics too!

Yes, Jane Wyatt was great as Estella (Pip's love interest), but I do  I feel it was wrong for Valerie's scenes to be deleted.   (Darn me!  I taped the complete film which aired on a UHF channel in 1984 or '85.  Needing another VHS, I taped over GE, thinking I could always retape a period piece.  I was

wrong, for all subsequent airings and EVEN the professional VHS in the 90's was cut, as well as the ultimate DVD. 

If anyone knows someone who taped this film in 1984 or '85, I would really appreciate contacting them.  I would love to see the complete film again.  One of my friends recently observed that it was strange that this TV station did show the uncut film and then

perpetuate all the airings since!  On every channel.

I love Blanche Fury too!  The Technicolor is fantastic in it.   Valerie was superb in that film too! 

Sorry, my Danny Kaye Post and Valerie Hobson posts got merged, so this is a pain. I meant to say that I am a big Danny Kaye fan and a recommendation of other enjoyable DK films!

The other post refers to one of my favorite films, Great Expectations, 1934.  Valerie Hobson was great in this film as Biddy the governess and nurse to Pip and his family.  With no explanation her scenes were deleted, though I had viewed and taped the film complete in 1984 or '85.  Darn me!  I taped over the complete version, thinking I could always re-tape a period piece.  I was wrong, for subsequent airings of the film and the professional renderings are missing the scenes.  This I discovered when I purchased the professional VHS in the 90's.  A friend purchased the DVD with the same contents recently.

I am hoping to find a complete copy like the one I taped in 1984 or '85.  

Regarding Blanche Fury, it is a great film with Valerie, as well as exquisite Technicolor.  Valerie is great in her scenes as a ruthless, beautiful woman who is ultimately destroyed by greed.  She had married a wealthy landowner and had an affair with the handsome and vengeful Stewart Granger - the rightful owner, (but illegitimate heir) who has his own personal motives in retrieving his property he had lost.

Sorry, my Danny Kaye Post and Valerie Hobson posts got merged, so this is a pain. I meant to say that I am a big Danny Kaye fan and a recommendation of other enjoyable DK films!

The other post refers to one of my favorite films, Great Expectations, 1934.  Valerie Hobson was great in this film as Biddy the governess and nurse to Pip and his family.  With no explanation her scenes were deleted, though I had viewed and taped the film complete in 1984 or '85.  Darn me!  I taped over the complete version, thinking I could always re-tape a period piece.  I was wrong, for subsequent airings of the film and the professional renderings are missing the scenes.  This I discovered when I purchased the professional VHS in the 90's.  A friend purchased the DVD with the same contents recently.

I am hoping to find a complete copy like the one I taped in 1984 or '85.  

Regarding Blanche Fury, it is a great film with Valerie, as well as exquisite Technicolor.  Valerie is great in her scenes as a ruthless, beautiful woman who is ultimately destroyed by greed.  She had married a wealthy landowner and had an affair with the handsome and vengeful Stewart Granger - the rightful owner, (but illegitimate heir) who has his own personal motives in retrieving his property he had lost.

Love it!  I love Court Jester too.  One of Danny's hillarious bests!  Will never forget the wittty sayings of "Jacamo".  Yes, he was great in the serious role in The Five Pennies too.

• Like 1

Hope you see more of the talented Danny Kaye's films in the near future. ...  During WWII, he was great in Wonder Man, and Up in Arms.  These were two of my dad's favorites. 

• Like 1

Right now I'm watching the pre-code classic, Grand Hotel, that I recorded during the Greta Garbo SUTS tribute back in August.  I've been enjoying the film so far.  I think this is the second Garbo film I've ever seen.  I have quite a few of her films left on the DVR.  I'm even enjoying Joan Crawford, who I used to not be a big fan of, but she's grown on me over the past few years.  I like her overall look better during the 1930s when she didn't have the big eyebrows and big lips.  However, overall, I've liked her 1940s films better.  I think this is the first film I've seen with John Barrymore.  I don't know why he was known as "The Great Profile."  I don't think he's that attractive.  However, I can see why Errol Flynn was cast to play Barrymore in Too Much, Too Soon, older Flynn looks very similar to what Barrymore looks like in this film.

The music in this film sounds familiar.  I think I've heard it as background in other films.  

This is an interesting film so far.  It's amazing that there are so many stars in one film in 1932.  

I can't say I'm a big fan of Wallace Beery.  Every film I see with him in it, all he does is yell at people and be crabby and not even crabby in a funny way.  He doesn't have an enjoyable film persona.