Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I can't say I'm a big fan of Wallace Beery.  Every film I see with him in it, all he does is yell at people and be crabby and not even crabby in a funny way.  He doesn't have an enjoyable film persona. 

He's definitely an acquired taste. And because of that very persona, he seems a little too low-brow for GRAND HOTEL. Potentially miscast.

He's definitely an acquired taste. And because of that very persona, he seems a little too low-brow for GRAND HOTEL. Potentially miscast.

I thought him WELL cast in this.

The fact that his "low-brow" nature alludes to his Grand Hotel character's seemingly low-brow nature reveals the portrayal of a man who tries desperately to attain a social height his natural disposition isn't suited for.  Similar to his character in DINNER AT 8. 

Sepiatone

I thought him WELL cast in this.

The fact that his "low-brow" nature alludes to his Grand Hotel character's seemingly low-brow nature reveals the portrayal of a man who tries desperately to attain a social height his natural disposition isn't suited for.  Similar to his character in DINNER AT 8. 

Sepiatone

Notice I said 'potentially' miscast...I did not come right out and say he was 'definitely' miscast. The reason I said it this way is because I can see where people would think he was fine, especially if they are fans of Wallace Beery. And actually I am a fan of his, but I just don't see him operating in a Garbo world, so for me, his appearance in GRAND HOTEL is a little off. Maybe that's because I am more used to the rough-and-tumble characters he plays in countless other MGM programmers. So when the producers throw him into a more prestigious picture, it takes me some getting used to...and as relates to what you said, I don't even see him playing a character whose motives would be to attain some sort of social status-- instead, I see him saying 'forget all that jazz, I'm going down on easy street to get drunk and find a pretty lady.'

This is a rare moment for me...I am not watching anything. I did watch THE BIG BONANZA earlier. But now I am listening to some Christmas tunes sung by Frank Sinatra. I was in the mood for the holidays this afternoon when I got back from a walk. :)

I'm watching my recording of Designing Woman that I recorded yesterday.  I've seen this movie a few times before.  I really enjoy it.  Sometimes Gregory Peck seems a bit wooden.  However, I think his voice may lend to him seeming somewhat stiff.  I like his voice though, it's very distinctive.  I think Peck and co-star Lauren Bacall make a very attractive couple and they're a great team in this film.  I also think it's sweet how Peck helped Bacall make this film while she was dealing with husband Humphrey Bogart's illness at home.  

I also love Lauren Bacall's costumes in this film--they're gorgeous.  I especially like the red dress she wears and the crazy purple one with the big sleeves. 

I want to get a copy of this movie, but it's harder to locate than others.  It looks like it's available used on Amazon.  It's also part of the 4-disc TCM Lauren Bacall collection, but I already have the other three films.

220px-Designing_woman.jpg

I just finished watching Dodge City.  This movie never gets old.

4i0k5w.jpg

I wouldn't mind snuggling up next to Flynn in the back of a covered wagon.

Now I'm watching another one of my favorites-- The Thin Man.  This movie also never gets old.

2nvxc12.jpg

I just finished watching Two Weeks For Love and with not very much time before I should be going to bed... I'm watching a 49 minute short that I recorded off TCM a few weeks ago.  I just had to record it because of the title... Perversion For Profit.  It's apparently about how sexually explicit materials could ruin the minds of American children.  These propaganda films crack me up.  

I'm watching "That's Entertainment." I've seen this multiple times but I never tire of it. I love musicals and MGM made some of the best.

And I know from watching this that I could never sit through a Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald musical. That singing is horrible.

I'm re-watching A Patch of Blue (1965) with Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters, and Elizabeth Hartman. For those who don't know, it's about an 18/19 year old blind girl named Selina D'Arcey (Hartman) who lives with her grandfather ("Ole Pa") and mother Rose Anne (Winters). She goes to the park one day and meets a young man named Gordon Ralfe (Poitier) whom she doesn't realize is black until her mother makes some derogatory comments about him, but this doesn't sway Selina from falling for Gordon. It's a very good piece about racism/prejudice and genuine friendship/love. And, a sometimes drunk, rowdy Shelley Winters is a plus.  :P

• Like 1

And, a sometimes drunk, rowdy Shelley Winters is a plus.  :P

She was definitely in her full-character actress phase by this point. LOL Gotta love her!

She's really over the top in HARPER, made around the same time.

• Like 1

I'm re-watching A Patch of Blue (1965) with Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters, and Elizabeth Hartman. For those who don't know, it's about an 18/19 year old blind girl named Selina D'Arcey (Hartman) who lives with her grandfather ("Ole Pa") and mother Rose Anne (Winters). She goes to the park one day and meets a young man named Gordon Ralfe (Poitier) whom she doesn't realize is black until her mother makes some derogatory comments about him, but this doesn't sway Selina from falling for Gordon. It's a very good piece about racism/prejudice and genuine friendship/love. And, a sometimes drunk, rowdy Shelley Winters is a plus.  :P

I watched a Patch of Blue not long ago too.  A great film with a good cast.  Ironically the bad person is Shelley Winters; character as mother to the blind girl Selina.  She is not only completely self-centered, but bigoted.

IT is very touching about Selina's romance and great love for Gordon.  I found myself wanting Selina and Gordon to marry in the end.  The story leaves the topic open. 

With that said, with casual empathy and great friendship I believe Gordon was developing a love for his young friend as well.  His brother warns him about it and I think this makes him realize his true feelings.   What a powerful and beautifully made story!  After Blind School if all works out......  

• Like 1

This is a rare moment for me...I am not watching anything. I did watch THE BIG BONANZA earlier. But now I am listening to some Christmas tunes sung by Frank Sinatra. I was in the mood for the holidays this afternoon when I got back from a walk. :)

I like Frank Sinatra's Christmas songs too.  In fact, I was listening to a Christmas CD with selections from Harry Belafonte singing Mary's Boy Child and Bing Crosby with White Christmas, Earth Kitt with Santa Baby.  There is even a charming Spanish tune called Donde Este Santa Claus? by Augie Rios.

• Like 1

I like Frank Sinatra's Christmas songs too.  In fact, I was listening to a Christmas CD with selections from Harry Belafonte singing Mary's Boy Child and Bing Crosby with White Christmas, Earth Kitt with Santa Baby.  There is even a charming Spanish tune called Donde Este Santa Claus? by Augie Rios.

Nice.

Yeah today is another day when I am not watching too many films. Just relaxing. Will listen to some music shortly and probably watch today's episode of Coronation Street on Hulu. 

Tonight, I may check out a film that was newly added on Amazon Prime. Or else just read.  

Nice.

Yeah today is another day when I am not watching too many films. Just relaxing. Will listen to some music shortly and probably watch today's episode of Coronation Street on Hulu. 

Tonight, I may check out a film that was newly added on Amazon Prime. Or else just read.  

I did end up watching today's episode of Coronation Street. Now I'm looking at Mickey Rooney in THE BIG WHEEL, a new addition to offerings on Amazon Prime. This was Hattie McDaniel's final film. 

I'm watching "That's Entertainment." I've seen this multiple times but I never tire of it. I love musicals and MGM made some of the best.

And I know from watching this that I could never sit through a Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald musical. That singing is horrible.

I agree with you speedracer... I've actually never seen an entire Eddy/MacDonald film. I think they both are talented singers by themselves, but together, I never understood the appeal. I've seen two of Jeanette's films; one was The Sun Comes Up (1949) which was a complete dud.

I am watching CATTLE TOWN, an early 50s western from Warner Brothers. It was one of the last films Dennis Morgan did at the studio. It's airing on TCM this morning as part of a programming block meant to honor Rita Moreno. She's so young in this movie. Also, a very young Merv Griffin has a small supporting role. 

• Like 1

I agree with you speedracer... I've actually never seen an entire Eddy/MacDonald film. I think they both are talented singers by themselves, but together, I never understood the appeal. I've seen two of Jeanette's films; one was The Sun Comes Up (1949) which was a complete dud.

I've only ever seen Jeannette MacDonald in San Francisco.  I liked most of the film, except for the scenes where MacDonald sang.  I was hoping that The Great Earthquake would send a building down on top of MacDonald or that Clark Gable would punch her in the mouth.  No such luck on both accounts.  

I haven't seen Nelson Eddy in a film, but from the clip I saw on That's Entertainment, there is no incentive.  I don't like his singing voice and he isn't even cute!  At the very least, if the film has to be unbearable, the lead actor could be attractive.  Lol.  

I'm watching Meet Me in St. Louis.  The film is on TCM in about an hour, but I saw it was on and decided that that was the film I was in the mood to watch, but didn't want to wait an hour and didn't want to sit through whatever version of The Christmas Carol was on.  If it's not The Muppets Christmas Carol, I'm not interested! Lol. 

Anyway, so I'm watching my Meet Me in St. Louis DVD.  Judy Garland was a national treasure and for someone that seemed so sweet on screen, her personal life was tragic.  

While some deride Meet Me in St. Louis for being too saccharine, I don't care.  I love this film.  It has great songs, great costumes, great cast and is overall very entertaining.  

She was definitely in her full-character actress phase by this point. LOL Gotta love her!

She's really over the top in HARPER, made around the same time.

Yes, Shelley was quite talented and could play serious or comedic roles.  Her over the top characters are interesting too.

• Like 1

I will be watching a few more episodes of The Doris Day Show later this afternoon on Hulu. I am writing a column about Doris that will appear as part of Today's Topic in January...

That will be neat to read.  I liked Doris Day Show too.  I never forgot a hillarious episode where Doris pretends to be her boss's wife to deter an old flame.  All goes well until she forgets and says Mr.!  

I love several of Doris's films.  She was even good in Film Noir;  Midnight Lace or in the scary Tight Spot film.  I loved her singing in Romance on the High Seas. especially.

Yes, Shelley was quite talented and could play serious or comedic roles.  Her over the top characters are interesting too.

I agree. Even when she's hamming it up, she does manage to bring a level of honesty and truth to the character.