Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

Bye Bye Braverman--another 'edgy/60's,70's/urban intellectuals' film that doesn't age well..a lot of those characters really grow quite tiresome...

On 10/21/2018 at 8:58 PM, shutoo said:

Bye Bye Braverman--another 'edgy/60's,70's/urban intellectuals' film that doesn't age well..a lot of those characters really grow quite tiresome...

I like this film, because it doesn't age well. Does that make sense? It's such a unique time capsule. And I think this "cohort" of character actors works well together. Plus I'm a fan of Jessica Walter. Even though she doesn't have much screen time in this picture, it's still good to see her.

• Like 1

Love Braverman! It was at least twenty years --since it was released-- that I first viewed it on television, it and I had no problems with its chronological age at that viewing. I'm pretty sure I could repeat the experience at any point in time and enjoy it just as much.

Since when do we have such a disjunct from our own cultural history? Why do we regard our communal past as so 'alien'? I think that's wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:32 AM, TopBilled said:

I like this film, because it doesn't age well. Does that make sense? It's such a unique time capsule.

I guess I said it wrong...it's not the 60;s setting...I love films from silents to today because they 'freeze history'..I was talking about the characters...the 'I can't stop talking like a script/I'm so edgy/intellectual' characters do grow tiresome..even in movies I like (I was never sure of Woody Allen was poking fun at them, or actually took them seriously)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished “The Lady Vanishes.” It was a Hitchcock that I hadn’t seen. I loved it. Michael Redgrave looks a lot like my boy, Errol. His character was very Errol Flynn-like. I could picture Errol helping Margaret Lockwood find Mrs Froy and hear him saying Redgrave’s lines. Redgrave wasn’t shabby himself—though I think Flynn edges him out slightly in the looks department. 

One thing I noticed, that unless Redgrave wasn’t playing the clarinet, or it was some weird clarinet, the reed was on the wrong side!! The reed is supposed to be on the back—not on the same side as the keys. I say this as someone who played clarinet in band from the 5th through 12th grade. 

• Like 1

TCM aired a very lurid flick earlier this evening; 'the Power' with an incredibly varied and top-notch cast.

George Hamilton
    Suzanne Pleshette
    Michael Rennie
    Arthur O'Connell
    Earl Holliman
    Nehemiah Persoff
    Gary Merrill
    Yvonne De Carlo
    Aldo Ray

What were they doing in this, I'm sure I don't know. A more motley crew could hardly be assembled (unless you're talkin' bout 'the poppy is also a flower')

George Pal production. But truly a strange and heavy-handed SF/Horror flick indeed. Queasy.

• Like 1

I know that Rains flick! It's a really good one. Rains is intense as a leading man.

There was nothing sweeter than seeing him stroll quietly across the room with salt/pepper hair; still looking superb though--and in glorious color, in David Lean's "Arabia". After all those years of seeing him in b&w; I misted up.

I am watching “Letter From an Unknown Woman” starring Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan. It was recommended to me by some posters on this board. 

I’m watching the first part of the 1987 documentary, “The RKO Story” on You Tube. I found a You Tube app on my TV. Score! 

'Red River'. Gorgeous. The delicacy of the the storytelling was amazing. I never really cottoned on to the story because I'd never seen the beginning of the flick. It's exquisite. The equivalent of at least five films from John Ford. Hawks sure showed him how its done. Outrageous.

• Like 1

Now I’m watching “Julie” with Doris Day. I’ve been waiting to see this movie forever! Finally I will find out what happened to Julie on her honeymoon. 

My recording even had the TCM late-night music included. Score! 

BLACK ORCHID (1953)...a British crime drama starring Ronald Howard, the lookalike son of Leslie Howard. It's on YouTube.

the_fall_and_rise_of_reginald_perrin_tv_

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. I recently rediscovered this series and watched a few episodes last night.

The show is hilarious and Leonard Rossiter is smashing as Reginald Perrin.

• Like 1

The Furies (1950), with Barbara Stanwyck. Let's see if I can manage to finish this one, since it's a Western. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

The Furies (1950), with Barbara Stanwyck. Let's see if I can manage to finish this one, since it's a Western. 

It's a great one. Hope you enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's a great one. Hope you enjoyed it.

I haven't finished it yet; decided to be responsible and go to sleep early for work lol. I'll make time for it sometime this week :)

1 minute ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I haven't finished it yet; decided to be responsible and go to sleep early for work lol. I'll make time for it sometime this week :)

Okay...let us know your impressions after you've watched it.

• Like 1

I decided to go for it and start my annual viewing of my large stack of Christmas movies.

First up, White Christmas

• Like 1

The Solid Gold Cadillac..just because I was in the mood for Judy Holliday...she's terrific..I wonder what kind of parts she would've been cast in in the 70s and 80s had she not died so young...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shutoo said:

The Solid Gold Cadillac..just because I was in the mood for Judy Holliday...she's terrific..I wonder what kind of parts she would've been cast in in the 70s and 80s had she not died so young...

I bet she would've had her own sitcom at some point. I love all her films, there isn't one clunker in the batch. Even the decidedly more serious FULL OF LIFE, in which she plays a woman about to have a baby, is wonderful.

Although, I'm not a huge fan of Woody Allen as a person, I do actually enjoy his films. I'm currently 40 minutes from finishing "Manhattan Murder Mystery" (1993).