Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

17 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

"I am the Earth Mother and you're all flops..." Which movie is that from again? I started watching a black and white picture the other day from the 60s I think... Liz Taylor comes into the house, drunker than a skunk, with her husband in tow... What was his name again? I had it on my computer, and can't find it because I don't remember what it's called... 

Ignore my poor attempt at humor; I'm watching "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," and can't wait to be depressed. 

I actually really liked this film.  Though it's definitely a film that you'd have to be in the mood for... it's not a feel good movie by any means.  I liked the scene where Elizabeth Taylor and George Segal dance in the bar.  Sandy Dennis' sniveling demeanor actually works in this film.

If you think your choice is bad, I'm watching a miniature golf game show.  I don't think I can sink any lower.  Though, I'm blaming my bird.  He seems to have an affinity for game shows.  He got really into "Press Your Luck" last night. 

• Like 1

EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982) on Britbox.

Ustinov is perfection as Poirot. The supporting cast is the best.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.53.48 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

Heh I'm slogging through AFTER SCHOOL SPECIALS, this last set from 1975-76. They are pretty good stories, very good  actors (seen Chris Knight, Eve Plumb, Priscilla Morrill, etc) This last one I watched starred Rance Howard, who was outstanding as a grumpy Dad. I cannot believe how much both his sons look exactly like him at the same age!

Next in queue, is the the odd Bjork film DANCER IN THE DARK.

Then it's off for more TV to see the random guest stars on Rt 66 (season one) 

• Like 2

I started recording It's a Living (on Logo) and watching it in little batches...I haven't seen it in years, and only remember seeing the original when it was syndicated, so I never saw the first two years.  Year one was good, but two...what? Louise Lasser is a special 'type' and was a terrible fit for the show. I'm into season 4 now, and Sheryl Lee Ralph was added to fill the void left by Ann Jillian's departure..she's good, but doesn't equal the wise-cracking Cassie character that Jillian created.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:14 PM, shutoo said:

I started recording It's a Living (on Logo) and watching it in little batches...I haven't seen it in years, and only remember seeing the original when it was syndicated, so I never saw the first two years.  Year one was good, but two...what? Louise Lasser is a special 'type' and was a terrible fit for the show. I'm into season 4 now, and Sheryl Lee Ralph was added to fill the void left by Ann Jillian's departure..she's good, but doesn't equal the wise-cracking Cassie character that Jillian created.

If I remember correctly, Jillian had breast cancer when the show was on hiatus (between its ABC run and its syndication run). She was required to come back and finish out her contract, even though she didn't feel up to it. So that's part of the reason she dropped out, because she was still undergoing treatments.

I agree that Lasser didn't work, and after that second season ABC cancelled it. When the production company struck a syndication deal for new episodes, they basically went back to the original format.

The show's title also changed for awhile. It was It's a Living in season 1, but when they hired Lasser and retooled it, the title was changed to Making a Living. Then after Lasser departed, it went back to being called It's a Living in syndication.

In some ways this sitcom reminds me of Alice since we have women waitresses as the main characters. Though the setting for this show is considerably more posh than Mel's diner.

• Like 1

I am re-watching MURDER SHE SAID (1961) on Britbox. 

I'd forgotten how good this film was...and the follow-ups are good too.

screen-shot-2019-02-17-at-11.56.07-am.jp

I am home sick.  Right now I am watching Go Chase Yourself with Lucille Ball on TCM.

All I can say about this film is that Joe Penner is NOT funny in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I am home sick.  Right now I am watching Go Chase Yourself with Lucille Ball on TCM.

Penner made a handful of comedies at RKO in the late 30s. He had a very popular radio show at the time, and audiences loved him.

I think GO CHASE YOURSELF was Ball's first lead role. Previously the studio had been assigning her supporting roles. Now she had become a lead and was hitting the big time.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:56 PM, speedracer5 said:

Maybe he would be funnier if you weren't sick ;)

Get well soon.

• Like 1

I just finished watching “Laura” and now I’m watching “All About Eve.”  I love this movie. I never tire of it. 

• Like 1

Slogging my way through S4 of Better Call Saul. This show has flagged the last season and a half or so (I believe there is a s5 but nothing I say here will have anything to do with that). The crimes scenes have become overwrought a bit, even Gus Fring seems pretentious. Narrative connections have become more subtle but not hopelessly so. Some scenes are drawn out, it seems sometimes a waste of time. Others are extremely well done, especially in the use of understatement, the clever use of suggestion. I have erred more than once in capturing meanings. There is something wrong with the Kim Wexler character, she talks in rapid clipped tone which comes off weird, I don't believe she did that before. I never thought she and Jimmy McGill (Odenkirk) had much chemistry and now I am sure of it. Even when they touch casually or kiss goodnight, it seems forced. I hope they don't try a full-fledged love scene between them, DisasterVille. (Although in all fairness the show seems to be heading for a rupture in their relationship in the storyline) I miss Chuck (Michael McKean) in the story. As Jimmy slowly but surely morphs into Saul, the continued presence of Chuck could be problematical. 

But despite everything, the show still delivers. I still feel hooked but I seem to have enjoyed the earlier seasons a bit more than this one. I still like the show. I'm not going anywhere.

:D

//

I'm watching Agatha Christie's EVIL UNDER THE SUN. I think this is the best adaptation of one of her works. I thoroughly enjoy the performances and clever screenplay.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:57 PM, TopBilled said:

Ustinov is perfection as Poirot.

He really was (although Murder on the Orient Express, without him, is a favorite of mine)  I think I've seen all his Poirot portrayals except for Dead Man's Folly.

I finished the second season of Big Little Lies this evening...a hot-mess soap...but with a great cast.

• Like 1

Humans

The actual title has the "a" upside down to indicate that some the androids may have ambiguous attributes that may include ... well, you can guess.

Just now, laffite said:

Humans

The actual title has the "a" upside down to indicate that some the androids may have ambiguous attributes that may include ... well, you can guess.

I watched the first season a few years ago and thought that it was well done, but for some reason that I can't recall I didn't watch the following seasons.

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched the first season a few years ago and thought that it was well done, but for some reason that I can't recall I didn't watch the following seasons.

The first season was very interesting early on but became less so as they seemed to rush the plot to wrap up to a certain point. I wonder if you felt that. I am discouraged by that. It looked like for a bit there that the following season would start a new story but I hasten to check and noted to my relief that they were going to continue the S1 narrative. SPOILER (darken to view)  That hot babe android made a copy of the software as she made out on her own. That was a clear signal but I wanted to make sure. I hope the S2 will recover from the lull and kick start the story, which it IMO sorely needs.

Just finished S1 of RECTIFY.

Uh ... it's okay I guess. The lead guy spends a lot of time walking slowly around, silent and brooding in a Brando-esque sort of way. He does a good job (along with the writers) of depicting what it might be truly like to acclimate to the outside after 20 years in prison, not easy. Very realistic. He walks around gazing at everyday objects as if he has just emerged from a rocket ship.  There is a heavy pall to the whole proceeding, but it is not boring. On to S2. I am daunted to find that there are four seasons altogether. Quality show, I would say.

To Serve Them All My Days (1980), a British miniseries, screenplay by Andrew Davies, the first season completed. A wounded soldier is relieved of duty due to injury and takes up as a teacher in a boy's boarding school, making adjustments and with some interesting classroom scenes, etc. In the second episode he goes home for a visit where while walking along the beach a young woman contrives to meet him and they have an awkward tea scene. Well, they are supposed be awkward, they've just met, but dramatically it's dreadful. I can't believe that Davies couldn't have done better than this. The actress is okay but her personality is irritating largely due to being a frivolous, boring, woman. Every scene she is in is painful. By the end of the episode they are going to be married, ew. The second episode is one of the worst episodes in the world. In the third episode she becomes pregnant. The issue of erecting a war memorial for fallen soldiers is at issue in the third episode where the idealism of our hero is pitted against the forces of big money considerations. He is right in spirit though naive. He proposes a plan to send out questionnaires to returned soldiers and his wife helps him lick the envelopes. He gets a good result but the biggies won't listen. This third episode does rally the story overall and I am still jolly well on board despite the beastly boring wife, although I fear she will be a liability in the proceedings unless Davies can write her out of the doldrums.

HUM@NS

SEASON ONE

SEASON TWO

cool

If this show isn't some day considered a classic, I will be amazed.

NO SPOILERS (of any consequence)

It starts with a hackneyed premise. You can rent or buy a robot for your household chores, and much much more. Actually, they're call synths for reasons not hard to figure out. The corollary to a story that begins in this way is generally one or more of them will be endowed with a degree of AI and at once begin to look for a way to start a revolution and take over the world. The show runners are obviously looking for something more sophisticated than that---after all, a show like this needs legs, they might get renewed for another year. So, instead, they have the creator of these synths to be a smart-alec and create a few special synths on the side for kicks. Actually he was probably quite serious. These special units will subsequently be termed "prototypes" by the authorities, which actually sounds quite ominous. Prototypes of what? There are only five or six of them (at first, heh). They get kidnapped and are very nearly destroyed and the authorities have the top priority to find these synths ASAP. These prototypes not only have AI but they can "feel." And they have enough AI smarts to realize they cannot take over the world (actually it doesn't even occur to them) and all they would really like to do is form their own community and live out their lives in peace. That doesn't sound very exciting, does it? Stay tuned. Meanwhile we get to know an all-human family who have purchased a synth named Anita who can do all the chores and even cook dinner and put the child to bed as well as all sorts of other things. She is also drop dead gorgeous. I will avoid a spoiler and not tell you what may or may not happen or almost happen or almost didn't happen (maybe) between Anita and the man of the house. You will have to be held in suspense about that. (And BTW, if you should happen to think Anita is a **** tottie, wait till you see Niska). The trouble with Anita is that unbeknownst to her owners, Anita is not brand new as promised. She is "used" and exhibiting unusual behaviors for a synth including some that are, according to the manuals, not possible because synths quite obviously not human beings (or are they?). The viewer automatically worries that Anita might be one of these prototypes. In other words, the writers know a good thing when they see it and they know they have some good material here and they are not going to clutter up the proceedings with a lot of phony crap. The first season has eight 42-minute episodes. They are unanswered questions early on but suddenly hasten to resolve themselves just in time for episode 8. The best thing about Season One is that it sets up Season Two which fascinates from one to eight. I have lately uncovered disturbing news that the show has not been renewed for a fourth season and from what I understand there are unresolved issues, issues that will stay unresolved for Eternity. I'm not there yet, I still have Season Three to go and I console myself in the knowledge that at least they didn't cancel after the second season because otherwise how would I feel if the story could not continue after the scintillating exhilaration of the finale of S2. At least we get spared that (whew!).

///

• Like 1