Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

The Big Trail (1930) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, Marguerite Churchill, El Brendel, Tully Marshall, Tyrone Power, Sr., David Rollins, Frederick Burton, Ian Keith, Charles Stevens and Louise Carver. Plus an uncredited Ward Bond. And directed by Raoul Walsh.

Been a few months since I've had the opportunity to simply kick back and watch any classic movies. And thought I would concentrate on some of my DVD and Blu-Ray collections which I've picked up over the years and where I've watched some but not all of the movies in those collections. And on the top of that pile is the John Wayne Film Collection which includes 10 of his movies on DVD. And the first of those movies is The Big Trail which I've seen once sometime during the last millennium. So here we go...

Red River (1948) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Joanne Dru, Walter Brennan, Colleen Gray, Harry Carey, John Ireland, Noah Beery Jr., Harry Carey Jr, Paul Fix, and Hank Worden. Written by Borden Chase and Charles Schnee. Music composed and directed by Dimitri Tiomkin. And directed and produced by Howard Hawks.

And now I am watching the second movie that is part of the John Wayne Film Collection. Which I have seen many many times before (just not from a DVD). And which, unlike the first movie in that collection, The Big Trail, stars John Wayne rather than Marion Mitchell Morrison. What a difference 18 years makes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiamCasey said:

Red River (1948) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Joanne Dru, Walter Brennan, Colleen Gray, Harry Carey, John Ireland, Noah Beery Jr., Harry Carey Jr, Paul Fix, and Hank Worden. Written by Borden Chase and Charles Schnee. Music composed and directed by Dimitri Tiomkin. And directed and produced by Howard Hawks.

And now I am watching the second movie that is part of the John Wayne Film Collection. Which I have seen many many times before (just not from a DVD). And which, unlike the first movie in that collection, The Big Trail, stars John Wayne rather than Marion Mitchell Morrison. What a difference 18 years makes.

You didn't share your thoughts about THE BIG TRAIL. Any good?

Well I WAS planning on watching a movie, then got sucked into the saga of Brandon Walsh’s crazy girlfriend. So apparently it was 4 episodes of ‘90210’ tonight. Lol. 

Hoping I can finish Ghost World (2001) today. I got about halfway through before I had to leave the other day, and I'm enjoying it so far. The only other thing I've seen Thora Birch in, is Disney's "Hocus Pocus" so color me shocked that the little girl actually grew up. 

2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Hoping I can finish Ghost World (2001) today. I got about halfway through before I had to leave the other day, and I'm enjoying it so far. The only other thing I've seen Thora Birch in, is Disney's "Hocus Pocus" so color me shocked that the little girl actually grew up. 

I like Ghost World a lot. Even though it wasn't the first thing I saw her in, that was the first film that I paid attention to Scarlett Johansson. I wouldn't have expected to her to become the major star that she's turned out to be, though. Thora Birch was very good in the film, as is Steve Buscemi. I also recall Birch from American Beauty. After taking some time off, she's joined the cast of The Walking Dead for its upcoming season.

GHOST-WORLD-WEB.jpg

gamma-walking-dead.png

• Like 1

No surprise here. I’m watching Errol Flynn day (“The Sea Hawk”) on TCM while trying to get my house ready for company later this afternoon. 

For the record I did NOT get up at 3AM for the beginning of Flynn’s day. I tried, but it wasn’t happening. I will catch up on “Footsteps in the Dark,” “Northern Pursuit,” and “The Master of Ballantrae” later. 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, TopBilled said:

You didn't share your thoughts about THE BIG TRAIL. Any good?

I enjoyed The Big Trail (1930). But it is not one of those movies that one can make a blanket recommendation about.

I believe if someone is predisposed to Westerns and/or to John Wayne (and I fall into both categories), they would easily find this one watchable. But even then (and even moreso now after almost 90 years), it is a stereotypical B Western both plotwise and characterwise. Hero (John Wayne) looks to take revenge upon the murderers of his friend. And the hero is the basic clean-cut all-American hero (To repeat, John Wayne is not John Wayne yet. He could have been replaced by any other actor with the same age and same build and same looks and same skills without this movie missing a beat.). And the villains (Tyrone Power Sr., Ian Keith and Charles Stevens) are your basic villains. And you have the basic hard to win love interest (Marguerite Churchill). And you have the basic comic relief (El Brendel). And you have the basic hero's basic sidekick (Tully Marshall). And there is nothing in that basic story itself that says one should watch it.

But the background for that story is fantastic. It is so visually impressive. Almost gives me the belief that Raoul Walsh made a great documentary about the crossing of the Oregon Trail and then someone told him he needed to add a framing story to that documentary because the viewing audience demands such a story. Kinda like why Carl Denham needed an Ann Darrow for his next movie within King Kong (1933). It is Mr. Walsh's set pieces that raises this one up. That is why one would recommend this movie to someone else.

Matter of fact, because it is such a visual movie, this one might have worked better as a silent movie so that one wouldn't have to hear the corny dialogue.

P.S. I also enjoyed Red River (1948).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

I enjoyed The Big Trail (1930). But it is not one of those movies that one can make a blanket recommendation about.

I believe if someone is predisposed to Westerns and/or to John Wayne (and I fall into both categories), they would easily find this one watchable. But even then (and even moreso now after almost 90 years), it is a stereotypical B Western both plotwise and characterwise. Hero (John Wayne) looks to take revenge upon the murderers of his friend. And the hero is the basic clean-cut all-American hero (To repeat, John Wayne is not John Wayne yet. He could have been replaced by any other actor with the same age and same build and same looks and same skills without this movie missing a beat.). And the villains (Tyrone Power Sr., Ian Keith and Charles Stevens) are your basic villains. And you have the basic hard to win love interest (Marguerite Churchill). And you have the basic comic relief (El Brendel). And you have the basic hero's basic sidekick (Tully Marshall). And there is nothing in that basic story itself that says one should watch it.

But the background for that story is fantastic. It is so visually impressive. Almost gives me the belief that Raoul Walsh made a great documentary about the crossing of the Oregon Trail and then someone told him he needed to add a framing story to that documentary because the viewing audience demands such a story. Kinda like why Carl Denham needed an Ann Darrow for his next movie within King Kong (1933). It is Mr. Walsh's set pieces that raises this one up. That is why one would recommend this movie to someone else.

Matter of fact, because it is such a visual movie, this one might have worked better as a silent movie so that one wouldn't have to hear the corny dialogue.

Chances are it was conceived as a silent film but was swept up in the transition to sound.

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Blu-Ray

Yes, I’ve already seen this one on the big screen And, yes, I’ve seen all 21 films that preceded it.

• Like 1

I'm watching RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11 (1954). Never seen it before.

It's not great but it's not terrible.

Legend of the Lost (1957) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, Sophia Loren, Rossano Brazzi and Kurt Kasznar. And directed and produced by Henry Hathaway.

The third movie that is part of the John Wayne Film Collection. And one of the two movies released in the 1950s that John Wayne appeared in that I have yet to see (The other being I Married a Woman (1958j for which he only has a unbilled bit.).

• Like 1

The Barbarian and the Geisha (1958) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, Eiko Ando, Sam Jaffe and So Yamamura. And directed by John Huston.

The fourth movie in the John Wayne Film Collection.

I've been on a Brian Aherne kick. 

So earlier I watched a Columbia comedy he made:

WHAT A WOMAN! (1943) with Roz Russell;

and now I'm watching:

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1942) with Loretta Young.

"In a dystopian future, a totalitarian society has sprung up in part of the United States after a devastating civil war, and the few remaining fertile women are forced into sexual servitude to repopulate the planet." This is the Netlix opening blurb on The Handmaid's Tale. I might not even have started it. There are four seasons (and counting, perhaps). I have seen four episodes. Somewhere near the end of the second I was asking myself, why am I still watching this? Because it is done so well, that's why. Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men) is fantastic. They were only a few scenes that actually depicted the dissolution of the government but they were chillingly realistic. Women ordered off the workplace, the closing of the bank accounts, the plethora of armed guards lining the streets, the cries of disbelief, "They can't do this!!!" Yes, they can. I was aware that Margaret Atwood wrote a novel with the same title but I never knew what it was about. I've ordered the second disc. ///  

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

"In a dystopian future, a totalitarian society has sprung up in part of the United States after a devastating civil war, and the few remaining fertile women are forced into sexual servitude to repopulate the planet." This is the Netlix opening blurb on The Handmaid's Tale. I might not even have started it. There are four seasons (and counting, perhaps). I have seen four episodes. Somewhere near the end of the second I was asking myself, why am I still watching this? Because it is done so well, that's why. Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men) is fantastic. They were only a few scenes that actually depicted the dissolution of the government but they were chillingly realistic. Women ordered off the workplace, the closing of the bank accounts, the plethora of armed guards lining the streets, the cries of disbelief, "They can't do this!!!" Yes, they can. I was aware that Margaret Atwood wrote a novel with the same title but I never knew what it was about. I've ordered the second disc. ///  

Oh, okay, that makes more sense. I was curious, as I thought you were streaming it on Netflix, and if I remember correctly, it's a Hulu show.

I've heard the show is very good, and I like many in the cast. I saw the 1990 film version with Natasha Richardson and Robert Duvall, and wasn't too enamored of it.

Handmaids_tale.jpg

Your post prompted me to look at the available Netflix disc-by-mail plans. I see that they are only one or two discs out at a time. Back when I was a member, I had the 10-at-a-time plan. Those were the days! I canceled when the focus seemed to be headed toward streaming, and more and more of the discs in my queue starting becoming unavailable or having very long waits. That was 9 or 10 years ago. I finally rejoined, with the streaming-only plan, in Feb. of 2018. I'm thinking of binging the last couple of dozen movies I have in my queue and canceling it, though. 

Continuing my Brian Aherne "marathon" today. I'm watching FIRST COMES COURAGE (1943) a Columbia war drama, in which he costars with Merle Oberon.

Dorothy Arzner directs, and I believe it was her last film...though she would direct Pepsi commercials for her friend Joan Crawford in the 50s.

The Horse Soldiers (1959) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, William Holden, Constance Towers, Hoot Gibson, Ken Curtis, Willis Bouchey, Bing Russell, Hank Worden, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, Carleton Young, Anna Lee, Russell Simpson and Althea Gibson. And directed by John Ford.

The fifth movie in the John Wayne Film Collection. I swear this movie airs at least every other day on Starz Encore Westerns. Which is not necessarily a bad thing considering how bloody rewatchable this one is.

59 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I see that they are only one or two discs out at a time.

No. You can go up to eight a time, at least (I once had that) The options shown on the site is up to only three at a time but if you want more you can get it by calling them. I didn't ask them but they may like discouraging the more elaborate plans for some reason, thus they don't show those options any more.  I have 5 at a time. The DVD section of Netflix has an acceptable inventory for the money IMO and so I still use it. The mailing-receiving cycle is a little slower than it used to be, but it's tolerable. I've stopped the streaming plan. At $15/month it is not worth it, as it offers nothing but wasteland.

//

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

The Horse Soldiers (1959) - DVD

w/ John Wayne, William Holden, Constance Towers, Hoot Gibson, Ken Curtis, Willis Bouchey, Bing Russell, Hank Worden, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, Carleton Young, Anna Lee, Russell Simpson and Althea Gibson. And directed by John Ford.

The fifth movie in the John Wayne Film Collection. I swear this movie airs at least every other day on Starz Encore Westerns. Which is not necessarily a bad thing considering how bloody rewatchable this one is.

It's very rewatchable, despite how flawed it is. I think what I love about it is how it feels like we're transitioning from the John Ford Stock Company to the John Wayne Stock Company. Wayne is clearly commanding this picture and the men interacting with him in their scenes together seem to really be close to him and following his lead.

Holden's a bit out of place in this one, but it's a necessary contrast to play up the conflict in the story that is supposed to occur between his character and Wayne's.

Constance Towers never looked lovelier!

37 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Constance Towers never looked lovelier!

Very true (and not just for the "Do you prefer the leg... or the breast?" scene 😉). And she does a very fine job in the role. As a matter of fact, although I suspect that the relationship between the John Wayne and William Holden characters are supposed to be the driving force of this movie's fairly episodic plot, it is the relationship between her character and Wayne's character that is the key for me. In many ways, the slow buildup of that relationship from hate to love makes this one of John Wayne's more romantic movies (although, as usual, he does not play a romantic character). And how often does one get to use the words "John Wayne" and "romantic" in the same sentence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

Very true (and not just for the "Do you prefer the leg... or the breast?" scene 😉). And she does a very fine job in the role. As a matter of fact, although I suspect that the relationship between the John Wayne and William Holden characters are supposed to be the driving force of this movie's fairly episodic plot, it is the relationship between her character and Wayne's character that is the key for me. In many ways, the slow buildup of that relationship from hate to love makes this one of John Wayne's more romantic movies (although, as usual, he does not play a romantic character). And how often does one get to use the words "John Wayne" and "romantic" in the same sentence.

Great comment.

Constance Towers was in two new episodes of General Hospital last week. And she was in a movie a year ago. So she continues to do some occasional acting jobs. She's in her mid-80s now. What a career she's had.

• Like 1

I'm watching ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (1959). Had been awhile since I'd seen this one.

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'm watching ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (1959). Had been awhile since I'd seen this one.

That is a great film! I especially enjoyed the jazz score and Harry Belafonte's song that he sings at the jazz club.  I thought the ending was especially poignant.