Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Ever see Lynch's 1990 Wild at Heart? A good (***) but not great a one, crazy as always-(but then again he did something like 1999's wonderful The Straight-Story with Richard Farnsworth-(nommed)

But Lynch created yet another off the charts & UGLY bad guy in Willem Dafoe in Wild....  as Bobby Peru

Think it was *Nicholson who very loudly said he thought Dafoe deserved the Oscar for the sick role

For weirdness nothing can hold a candle to his 1976 cult flick  Eraserhead!

9 minutes ago, spence said:

Have they on here ever dine a topic just on movie VILLIANS?   AFI voted for *Hopkins as Hannibal Lechter

I don't think TCM has ever just had a series on movie villains. That's a great idea, in fact!

I'm sure most would agree that Hopkins' character ranks in the top 10.

• Like 1

If I can stay awake getting ready to watch the Bucs on Fox ch 13 down here  They are without a doubt among the worst teams ever, except for 2005 or 06 when they went all the way

My heart since I was ten has always been for some reason with the Dallas Cowboys though

Speaking of which one of the most beautiful actresses ever Jane Seymour did an awful tv movie based on the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, anybody hear if it, around 1978/79

A bit off the topic, speaking of Seymour-(now an incredible 68!)  who recalls her-(excellent performance as a dragon lady) 1980's remake of  East of Eden?

It covered the entire novel as opposed to the exceptional 1955 J.D. version & she was in Jo Van Fleet;s Oscar winning role, but her entire life  Both Sam & Timothy Buttons starred along w/Lloyd Bridges and others

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think TCM has ever just had a series on movie villains. That's a great idea, in fact!

How about in these forums though?

& you are right, that would be great for the station as well

• Like 1
1 minute ago, spence said:

How about in these forums though?

& you are right, that would be great for the station as well

Not sure what other forum members would say. Maybe TCM's programmers will do a monthly spotlight on classic movie villains. They should.

• Like 1

American Film Institute-(Est 1967-) AFI actually divided it into 2 categories that time

100 Heroes...100 Villians-(I have the complete list somewhere for those interested, or visit it's marvelous site)

For the record as I said Hannibal Lechter was voted A #1 all-time villian &*Peck as Atticus Finch was voted #1 Hero   Of course for To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Who would you vote for as No.1?

1 minute ago, spence said:

Who would you vote for as No.1?

Richard Attenborough as real-life serial killer Reg Christie in 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971).

A compelling performance.

Spence,

You should create a separate thread about this in the General Discussions area. It's an interesting topic. And more people would probably participate.

• Like 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

Richard Attenborough as real-life serial killer Reg Christie in 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971).

A compelling performance.

You scooped me, never heard of that one  Difficult to imagine him being a bad guy though, huh

I'll look it up in my books or online

If memory serves runners-up to Lecter in *Silence of the Lambs were Darth Vadar & Norman Bates   Pretty certain this AFI special wasn't televised though  Only the first two from 1998 & 99 were  The one I really wanted to see was in 06 100 Years of Movie Music-(not quite the titke) held at the Hollywood Bowl & *J Williams conducted entire event

Just remembered, the president did something he coulda got into for around 2002 he sent me lots if free stuff & free including booklets & posters, most notably  100 Years,,,100 Stars (l999) hanging almost above this desk actually. They stopped that though   But I do think they aired 100yrs...100 Laughs where Some Like It Hat was tops

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, spence said:

You scooped me, never heard of that one  Difficult to imagine him being a bad guy though, huh

I'll look it up in my books or online

Attenborough also played a villain in JET STORM (1959) as an airline passenger carrying a bomb. And he played a kidnapper in SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964). It wasn't until later that he did more avuncular roles.

Check out his performance in 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971). It's exceptional.

33 minutes ago, shutoo said:

watching The Price is Right from 1959 on Buzzr...the first of the show I think...love the prices

What is it, 15 cents for a loaf of bread and 22 cents for a jar of peanut butter? :) 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, TopBilled said:
15 hours ago, shutoo said:

watching The Price is Right from 1959 on Buzzr...the first of the show I think...love the prices

What is it, 15 cents for a loaf of bread and 22 cents for a jar of peanut butter? :) 

Actually they only had big stuff..car prices ranged from around 3000 to 7000+ for a Cadillac that wouldn't fit in my garage (even if I cleaned the junk out..)  adjusted for today that would be 26,000 to 60,000.  They even had a write in contest for a house (with an indoor pool!) that was around 22 grand I think...and since a lot of people guessed to the penny, I'm thinking it was fixed

On 10/7/2019 at 4:59 AM, shutoo said:

Actually they only had big stuff..car prices ranged from around 3000 to 7000+ for a Cadillac that wouldn't fit in my garage (even if I cleaned the junk out..)  adjusted for today that would be 26,000 to 60,000.  They even had a write in contest for a house (with an indoor pool!) that was around 22 grand I think...and since a lot of people guessed to the penny, I'm thinking it was fixed

Oh yeah, no way would anyone guess the price of a house to the penny. Not even an experienced realtor could do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...