Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

THE VERY EDGE (1963)

A British psychological thriller starring Richard Todd.

To TopBilled, had hoped you'd predict the Oscars buddy   But been watching some on Demand  The Great Race for one & several others

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spence said:

To TopBilled, had hoped you'd predict the Oscars buddy   But been watching some on Demand  The Great Race for one & several others

Hiya spence. I try not to predict, just to enjoy how the ceremony goes. Though there are some I'd certainly like to see get awards.

The Comancheros (1961) - DVD

w/ John Wayne (as "Big" Jake (Where have I heard that name before?!?) Cutter), Stuart Whitman, Ina Balin, Nehemiah Persoff, Lee Marvin, Michael Ansara, Patrick Wayne, Bruce Cabot, Joan O'Brien, Jack Elam, Edgar Buchanan and Henry Daniell. Directed by Michael Curtiz (his final movie) and (unofficially) John Wayne.

After a number of fairly busy months, I have finally gotten around to the eighth movie in the John Wayne Film Collection.

Again, one I've seen oft-times before. Very episodic. Very unbelievable. Very historically inaccurate. And a bit awkwardly structured insofar as it is very obvious that this film's main character should have been Stuart Whitman's Paul Regret. But still a very enjoyable movie.

• Thanks 1

I'm watching A TIME FOR DYING (1969).

It's the last film in which Audie Murphy appears (he was producer). And the last feature film directed by Budd Boetticher.

It's on Amazon Prime and is actually quite good. Victor Jory steals every scene he's in as beleaguered Judge Roy Bean.

The Longest Day (1962) - DVD

w/ too many famous actors and actresses to list. Plus John Wayne (natch). Produced by Darryl Zanuck. And directed by Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton and Bernhard Wicki.

The ninth movie in the John Wayne Film Collection. Part of me always wonders if this movie would have been better served if it had been cast with unknowns. Another part of me then wonders if we would still be watching it 58 years later if it had been. 

• Like 1

Watching OUR TOWN (1940). I had never seen this version before. It's very moving.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988). A true comedy classic!

• Like 2

The Undefeated (1969) - DVD

w/ John Wayne and Rock Hudson. Plus Antonio (Tony) Aguilar, Roman Gabriel, Lee Meriwether, Merlin Olsen, Bruce Cabot, Jan-Michael Vincent (albeit without the "Jan-"), Ben Johnson, Edward Faulkner, Harry Carey, Jr., Paul Fix, Royal Dano, Richard Mulligan, Carlos Rivas, John Agar, Guy Raymond, Dub Taylor, and Pedro Armendariz, Jr. And directed by Andrew V. McLaglen.

The tenth and final movie in the John Wayne Film Collection. Lots of familiar names. Lots of familiar faces. And lots of both at the same time. Another oft-viewed movie. A classic? No. But enjoyable none the less.

• Like 1

Based on a recommendation from a friend here on the board, I’m watching “Play Misty For Me” (1971). Nothing like a film about obsessive love for Valentine’s Day. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, speedracer5 said:

Based on a recommendation from a friend here on the board, I’m watching “Play Misty For Me” (1971). Nothing like a film about obsessive love for Valentine’s Day. 

Hope you enjoyed it! :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Hope you enjoyed it! :) 

Yes I did very much. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 11:33 PM, speedracer5 said:

Speedy, so glad you liked the film so much. Since  I recommended the film to you, I'm really in the mood to see it again.. It's been years  and as you know I really liked the film so much all those years ago. Amazing that Play Misty For Me is almost 50 years old!

• Like 1

I couldn't sleep last night, so I started watching a sit com called Occasional Wife on Uncle Earl's classic tv site...never saw or heard of it before, and I guess it ran for only one season.  Sort of cute---guy needs wife' for job advancement, and asks friend to fill the role.  Lots of recognizable costars, but the laugh track is a bit much at times.  Of course, the same concept was used in Picture Perfect.   Made me wonder about star Michael Callan---he looked like the perfect early/mid 60's star, wonder why he wasn't

• Like 1

I’m watching Something Wild with Carroll Baker and Ralph Meeker. 

On 2/21/2020 at 11:29 AM, shutoo said:

...so I started watching a sit com called Occasional Wife on Uncle Earl's classic tv site...never saw or heard of it before, and I guess it ran for only one season.  Sort of cute---guy needs wife' for job advancement, and asks friend to fill the role.

Have you seen Pillow Post, a 1945 comedy with Ida Lupino in a rare comedic role. She needs to have an "occasional" husband for a business project. It aired on TCM a couple of months ago. I haven't erased it yet 'cause it's fun to idly peruse. She is adorable in this.

The Enemy Below (1957) - FXM

w/ Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens. Plus David Hedison (back when he sang "You Can Call Me Al") and Theodore Bikel. And way down in uncredited land, Doug McClure. Produced and directed by Dick Powell.

An oft-seen favorite. Perfect to make breakfast by.

• Like 1

I'm watching a fantastic British military-themed drama called CARRINGTON V.C.

On Amazon Prime.

It was released in 1954 and stars David Niven. It's one of Niven's best performances.

A season 2 episode of MI-5 called "Nest of Angels." The ending to the story is rather shocking.

I'm watching That Forsyte Woman right now on Watch TCM while I work.  Robert Young is too old for his part.  I think Flynn is fantastic however, and I cannot imagine anyone choosing any other man in this movie over Flynn. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:51 AM, speedracer5 said:

I'm watching That Forsyte Woman right now on Watch TCM while I work.  Robert Young is too old for his part.  I think Flynn is fantastic however, and I cannot imagine anyone choosing any other man in this movie over Flynn. 

Interestingly, Greer Garson was two and a half years older than Robert Young. So she was 45, and he was 42 when this film was released. Errol Flynn was 40.