Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Interestingly, Greer Garson was two and a half years older than Robert Young. So she was 45, and he was 42 when this film was released. Errol Flynn was 40.

I think I can handle Greer Garson with Robert Young; but I found it hard to believe that 20-something Janet Leigh would be in love with him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think I can handle Greer Garson with Robert Young; but I found it hard to believe that 20-something Janet Leigh would be in love with him. 

So it sounds like Janet Leigh is the one who was miscast in this picture.

I just recently re-watched Twin Peaks seasons 1 and 2, so now I'm re-watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992).

twin-peaks-phillip-jeffries.jpg

• Like 1

I've been watching volume one of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. I never watched the show when it was new. I've found it rather dull so far, although it is handsomely produced (it was one of the most expensive shows ever made at the time). Instead of action and adventure, the show seems more interested into the young Indiana Jones bumping into a succession of historical figures. So far he's met T.E. Lawrence, Teddy Roosevelt, Franz Ferdinand, Sigmund Freud (played by Max Von Sydow!), a teenage Norman Rockwell, Pablo Picasso, Edgar Degas, Puccini, and Tolstoy. 

The disc sets I'm watching are the 90-minute movie versions. The show was initially an hour-long affair (~45 minutes without commercials), and the timeframe jumped week-to-week between Indiana Jones as a young boy (played by Corey Carrier), and from when he was a late teenager/young man (played by Sean Patrick Flanery). These 90-minute movie versions edited together two similar episodes, and they run in chronological order. Perhaps I'll appreciate the series more when I get to the teen/young man episodes. 

I’ve been watching episodes from the second season of THE BRADY BUNCH, a series I discovered in 1990s on Nick At Nite.  

Last year I started re-watching the series from the beginning, introducing it to my sweetie, who was vaguely familiar with it but had never seen any episodes. We breezed through the first season (so many great episodes) but for various reason stopped about a third of the way into the second. This weekend we started watching again and have seen 3 episodes so far.

Any given BRADY BUNCH episode is packed with so much activity and watching is so addictive! The cast really commits to the material, making situations that could be sappy seem very real and very Brady. The second season is the first one where the theme song (“It’s the story of a lovely lady . . .) is sung by the Brady Kids and the first to feature Florence Henderson’s real hair. (Her iconic mullet flip won’t be seen until Season 3.)

The episodes we recently watched:

“The Tattle-Tale”: Cindy becomes a pariah among the Brady kids when she starts blabbing details from their conversations. She causes trouble for Alice when she tells Alice’s boyfriend Sam the Butcher on the phone that Alice is kissing the postman. (Alice was just excited to learn via US Mail that she’d won a jingle-writing contest.) The episode features an “Oh Alice!” reaction from Mrs. Brady.

“What Goes Up . . .”: Bobby is afraid of heights after he falls while climbing up to a treehouse. In the trampoline scene, Florence Henderson calls “Peter” Chris (the actor’s name) and Barry Williams calls “Jan” Eve. Also, someone other than Ann B. Davis is doing Alice’s higher jumps. Like Fluffy the cat from the first episode of the series, Bobby’s pet parakeet (who is not given a name) will never be seen again after this episode.

image.png.f771905ce7f4f036b2ec1e5ab4ad1187.png

“Confessions, Confessions”: This is the episode that features the famous line “She [Mom] always says ‘Don’t play ball in the house.’”  Peter breaks Mrs. Brady’s favorite vase, and the other kids (and Alice) confess to doing it so Peter won’t be grounded and miss the camping trip he was looking forward to. Mr. and Mrs. Brady, realizing that Peter is the guilty one, let him choose the punishment for the other kids, hoping to guilt him into telling the truth. In a dream sequence, Peter sees the ball breaking the vase over and over again.

I’m looking forward to the upcoming episodes where we’ll meet Myron the mouse, hear Greg sing “Ponies never ran before” and see Jan sporting a dark curly wig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I’ve been watching episodes from the second season of THE BRADY BUNCH, a series I discovered in 1990s on Nick At Nite.  

Last year I started re-watching the series from the beginning, introducing it to my sweetie, who was vaguely familiar with it but had never seen any episodes. We breezed through the first season (so many great episodes) but for various reason stopped about a third of the way into the second. This weekend we started watching again and have seen 3 episodes so far.

Any given BRADY BUNCH episode is packed with so much activity and watching is so addictive! The cast really commits to the material, making situations that could be sappy seem very real and very Brady. The second season is the first one where the theme song (“It’s the story of a lovely lady . . .) is sung by the Brady Kids and the first to feature Florence Henderson’s real hair. (Her iconic mullet flip won’t be seen until Season 3.)

The episodes we recently watched:

“The Tattle-Tale”: Cindy becomes a pariah among the Brady kids when she starts blabbing details from their conversations. She causes trouble for Alice when she tells Alice’s boyfriend Sam the Butcher on the phone that Alice is kissing the postman. (Alice was just excited to learn via US Mail that she’d won a jingle-writing contest.) The episode features an “Oh Alice!” reaction from Mrs. Brady.

“What Goes Up . . .”: Bobby is afraid of heights after he falls while climbing up to a treehouse. In the trampoline scene, Florence Henderson calls “Peter” Chris (the actor’s name) and Barry Williams calls “Jan” Eve. Also, someone other than Ann B. Davis is doing Alice’s higher jumps. Like Fluffy the cat from the first episode of the series, Bobby’s pet parakeet (who is not given a name) will never be seen again after this episode.

image.png.f771905ce7f4f036b2ec1e5ab4ad1187.png

“Confessions, Confessions”: This is the episode that features the famous line “She [Mom] always says ‘Don’t play ball in the house.’”  Peter breaks Mrs. Brady’s favorite vase, and the other kids (and Alice) confess to doing it so Peter won’t be grounded and miss the camping trip he was looking forward to. Mr. and Mrs. Brady, realizing that Peter is the guilty one, let him choose the punishment for the other kids, hoping to guilt him into telling the truth. In a dream sequence, Peter sees the ball breaking the vase over and over again.

I’m looking forward to the upcoming episodes where we’ll meet Myron the mouse, hear Greg sing “Ponies never ran before” and see Jan sporting a dark curly wig.

I love “The Brady Bunch.” I used to watch it on Nick-at-Nite and before that when it aired on TBS at 2:05 and 2:35 (or whatever times it was). 

“The New Jan Brady” was always my team name if I played pub trivia solo. 

ME-TV shows “The Brady Brunch” every Sunday morning 9-11 (pst). They’re into season 3 right now. I saw the episode with Aunt Jenny, the one where Bobby goes on Greg’s date with him, the one with “Scoop” Brady, and the one with Alice’s drill sergeant cousin Emma. 

• Like 1

I'm watching MRS. BROWN (1997) on Britbox.

It's fantastic.

The Robe (1953) - FXM

w/ Richard Burton, Jean Simmons, Victor Mature, Michael Rennie, Jay Robinson, Dean Jagger, Torin Thatcher, Richard Boone, Betta St. John, Jeff Morrow, Ernest Thesiger, Dawn Addams and Leon Askin. Plus, down in uncredited land, many recognizable names such as Michael Ansara, John Doucette, Percy Hilton, Cameron Mitchell, Jay Novello, Hayden Rorke and Harry Shearer. Directed by Henry Koster.

Not my first time watching this biblical epic. But ideal background fare while working from home.

I'm watching TOPAZE (1933). I had never seen this one before.

It's quite good.

Watching an episode of The Rebel on Amazon Prime.

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (1965)

It was recently added on Amazon Prime.

• Like 1

Been watching Good Morning World (Roku channel)...up to episode 5.  Cute comedy, with a very young Goldie Hawn and always wonderful Billy De Wolfe in supporting roles.  They have quite a few oldies free-to-stream...Gidget, Ellen, Patty Duke Show, Head of the Class, Suddenly Susan....some like Dobie Gillis, NewsRadio only have a couple seasons.

• Like 1

Since I mentioned it in Classic Categories, I'm re-watching Brighton Beach Memories.  Interesting how Neil Simon's 'remembrances' are so similar to Woody Allen's in Radio Days, right down to the aunts/cousins living with them (and those aunts dating a neighbor with problems).

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, shutoo said:

Since I mentioned it in Classic Categories, I'm re-watching Brighton Beach Memories.  Interesting how Neil Simon's 'remembrances' are so similar to Woody Allen's in Radio Days, right down to the aunts/cousins living with them (and those aunts dating a neighbor with problems).

Would make a great double feature, that.

• Like 1

I am watching A Letter to Three Wives.  I know it's on TCM right now (or it was earlier), but I missed the beginning.  I put in my DVD.  Watching this movie, it's fascinating to me that Jeanne Crain went on to be cast as the oldest child in Cheaper By the Dozen. She seems way too old for that role.  But I digress. I enjoy 'Dozen' regardless.

I plan on finding something to watch after this and then settling in for Crime Wave at 9:00pm. 

Season 1 episodes of Father Brown were recently added on Britbox. So I am looking at some tonight.

Just finished watching If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.   I know I've seen this before, but couldn't remember much about it...this should've been my first clue...wasn't really worth a re-watch.   A lot of people on IMDB adore this film, but it just seemed like a great waste of a good cast to me...way too much of Ian McShane, doing an 'Alfie' playboy/tour director caricature romancing Suzanne Pleshette (who gets very little comedy in this comedy), with predictable results.  Mildred Natwick, Pamela Britton and Peggy Cass might as well not shown up at all.  You'll see little snippets of European scenery, but you'll have to sit through an almost painful performance by 60s rock star Donovan.   Maybe it was oh so hip in 69, but any clever hasn't held up.  Pass.....If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium | Park Circus

I am a sucker for British police dramas. I quit trying to figure who did it years ago and just enjoy the writing and acting. The most recent one is "Unforgotten." It is about a team of detectives who handle cases that involve newly discovered murders that happened longs ago. It stars the always wonderful Nicola Walker. Three seasons of six episodes. Getting ready to start the third season. Available on Amazon Prime.  Season 2 of "Jack Ryan" is pretty compelling if you can accept that they could do what they are doing.

Also, revisited "Wire In The Blood." Acorn hosts this one.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:55 PM, speedracer5 said:

I love “The Brady Bunch.” I used to watch it on Nick-at-Nite and before that when it aired on TBS at 2:05 and 2:35 (or whatever times it was). 

“The New Jan Brady” was always my team name if I played pub trivia solo. 

ME-TV shows “The Brady Brunch” every Sunday morning 9-11 (pst). They’re into season 3 right now. I saw the episode with Aunt Jenny, the one where Bobby goes on Greg’s date with him, the one with “Scoop” Brady, and the one with Alice’s drill sergeant cousin Emma. 

I recently watched  the episode "Will The Real Jan  Brady Please Stand Up?"  I think Jan might have gone over better at Lucy Winters's party if she'd chosen Midnight Temptress instead of the wig she ended up buying.  Yeah, Midnight Temptress or maybe Lunar Dust.

I've been trying to find audio for "The Real Jan Brady" parody song to the tune of Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady."  I can find the lyrics but I want to hear it. 

25 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I recently watched  the episode "Will The Real Jan  Brady Please Stand Up?"  I think Jan might have gone over better at Lucy Winters's party if she'd chosen Midnight Temptress instead of the wig she ended up buying.  Yeah, Midnight Temptress or maybe Lunar Dust.

I've been trying to find audio for "The Real Jan Brady" parody song to the tune of Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady."  I can find the lyrics but I want to hear it. 

Yeah.  Midnight Temptress was way better.  Even the handbag that she tries on would have been an improvement.  

I remember a long time ago hearing Barry Williams singing "I am the Real Greg Brady."  I can't remember where I heard it though.

the tv mini-series with Arness HOW THE WEST WAS WON is on the insipirational network right now

• Like 1