Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

i'm prejudiced though & just love westerns1 it's not in same league as the epic l963 western though of course

to Fred C. Dobbs, do you consider SIERRA MADRE a western like BOGEY did?

On 4/19/2020 at 8:09 PM, spence said:

to Fred C. Dobbs, do you consider SIERRA MADRE a western like BOGEY did?

Fred C. Dobbs started this thread in 2010. Unfortunately, Fred passed away a couple of years ago. There was another poster here for a few days who was using that moniker recently BUT he is not the poster you've directed your question to, our Fred is gone.,

Come Fly With Me--not the film, but the Brit series from 2010 with the Little Britain team playng multiple roles.Terribly un-pc depictions in some instances, but very funny.  Mockumentary of Brit airport, airline workers, passengers, etc.....outragous done with Brit calm.  Found all episodes to stream on 1.movieorca.com

Mac OS TV Show Folder Icons by EWaldron on DeviantArt

I am watching EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982) on Britbox.  

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.33.22 PM

Today's episode of EastEnders on Britbox.

Watched "Sid & Judy" (2019) and "Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind" (2020) documentaries on Saturday.  Interesting but rather depressing double feature.  Each film had an obvious point of view but still highly watchable because of the old interviews, home movies and especially performances from Judy Garland 's short-lived  tv show.  Hard to watch Wood's daughter interview Robert Wagner about the night of her mom's death, though.

• Thanks 1

I've been watching episodes of The Rebel on Amazon Prime. Love this western.

99 RIVER STREET (1953) on Amazon Prime.

Love this one. John Payne & Evelyn Keyes are great together.

Have been catching up on some episodes of Coronation Street on Britbox.

Get Shorty (2017 --  )  TV version of the Elmore Leonard book which was also a 1995 movie with John Travolta.  The show is much better than I expected.  Chris O'Dowd is equally  menacing and charming as mobster henchman / fledgling movie producer.  Also, starring Ray Romano as a down-on-his luck B-movie director.  Peter Bogdanovich appears as Romano's father, a well-respected retired director.

• Like 1

A Very English Scandal (2018)  starring Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw.  Based on the true story of Jeremy Thorpe, a Member of Parliament, who  stood trial for conspiring to murder his ex-lover, Norman Scott.  

• Like 2

Episodes from the fifth season of The Streets of San Francisco.

I could never warm to the idea that the show went on without Michael Douglas.

While I think Richard Hatch is somewhat lacking as an actor and he certainly doesn't have Douglas' charisma, he does fairly well with Malden. More importantly, the writing is just as strong this season as it was in the previous seasons.

I watched an interesting one with Dorothy Malone doing a variation of her Peyton Place character. And there was an excellent one with Pat Hingle as a deranged father who tries to protect his wife and daughter from the outside world and ends up killing a cop.

I've been watching The Pallisers, the 26-part BBC series, shown on PBS in the mid-1970s, based on six of Anthony Trollope's novels. It holds up well, I'll post a fuller report in the "I Just Watched" thread when I finish. I've just begun the three final episodes, entitled "The Duke's Children."

996x540-Planty-and-Cora.jpg

Philip Latham and Susan Hampshire as Plantagenet and Glencora Palliser

pallisers-silverbridge.jpg

And, seven years before they appeared together in Brideshead Revisited, Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews appear together in the final three episodes of The Pallisers.

• Like 2

Looking at more episodes of The Streets of San Francisco

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, Peebs said:

A Very English Scandal (2018)  starring Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw.  Based on the true story of Jeremy Thorpe, a Member of Parliament, who  stood trial for conspiring to murder his ex-lover, Norman Scott.  

I still haven't watched this (yet).

Did you enjoy it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I still haven't watched this (yet).

Did you enjoy it?

I did.   Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw are both reliable good.  The story is an interesting slice of history that I hadn't heard about.  Thorpe unapologetically pursued mostly one night stands with varying results, some violent.  (I say unapologetically considering the time.)  He meets Norman Scott and the two have a real relationship for a while.  The relationship ends and as Thorpe moves up the political ladder his personal life becomes more mainstream and finds Scott to be an inconvenient footnote.   It reminded me a bit of Scandal (1989) about the Profumo scandal.  I'd be interested in your take, if you watch it.  (It's a very economical three hours.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I did.   Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw are both reliable good.  The story is an interesting slice of history that I hadn't heard about.  Thorpe unapologetically pursued mostly one night stands with varying results, some violent.  (I say unapologetically considering the time.)  He meets Norman Scott and the two have a real relationship for a while.  The relationship ends and as Thorpe moves up the political ladder his personal life becomes more mainstream and finds Scott to be an inconvenient footnote.   It reminded me a bit of Scandal (1989) about the Profumo scandal.  I'd be interested in your take, if you watch it.  (It's a very economical three hours.)

Okay. I will have to make a point of watching it. Your comments make it seem worthier than I previously thought. Thanks!

• Like 1

I recently saw Knives Out (2019) and The Cheat (1915) and was struck that our availability to movies through all kinds of sources (this time Amazon for both) allows us to watch films made 104 years apart.  As much as I enjoy TCM I am glad there are other outlets as well.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 8:10 PM, Swithin said:

I've been watching The Pallisers, the 26-part BBC series, shown on PBS in the mid-1970s, based on six of Anthony Trollope's novels. It holds up well, I'll post a fuller report in the "I Just Watched" thread when I finish. I've just begun the three final episodes, entitled "The Duke's Children."

996x540-Planty-and-Cora.jpg

Philip Latham and Susan Hampshire as Plantagenet and Glencora Palliser

pallisers-silverbridge.jpg

And, seven years before they appeared together in Brideshead Revisited, Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews appear together in the final three episodes of The Pallisers.

I am just getting ready for a repeat viewing. It's as good show. I am a fan of Anthony Trollope and have recently read Can you forgive her?, The Eustace Diamonds, an am working my way through The Prime Minister. I think he is a great story teller. He tells you much at the expense of salient implication. Very pleasant though sometimes monotony knocks on the door. There are times when you say to yourself; hey, these two have had this conversation before. I may post extensively on the Reading Thread in Gen Disc. BTW, the casting of Plantagenet and Glencora is perfect. The former staid and dull and the other vivacious and in some way quite ebullient as to gain the disapprobation (at times) from her husband. The Pallisers get the name for the books and TV series, but they are not so prevalent in Forgive and The Eustace Diamonds. The are, however, wonderfully depicted in The Prime Minister. 

How are you, Swithin? Good, I hope.

///

9 hours ago, laffite said:

I am just getting ready for a repeat viewing. It's as good show. I am a fan of Anthony Trollope and have recently read Can you forgive her?, The Eustace Diamonds, an am working my way through The Prime Minister. I think he is a great story teller. He tells you much at the expense of salient implication. Very pleasant though sometimes monotony knocks on the door. There are times when you say to yourself; hey, these two have had this conversation before. I may post extensively on the Reading Thread in Gen Disc. BTW, the casting of Plantagenet and Glencora is perfect. The former staid and dull and the other vivacious and in some way quite ebullient as to gain the disapprobation (at times) from her husband. The Pallisers get the name for the books and TV series, but they are not so prevalent in Forgive and The Eustace Diamonds. The are, however, wonderfully depicted in The Prime Minister. 

How are you, Swithin? Good, I hope.

Hi Lafitte, I'm fine. Getting out and about, as things are opening up a bit in New York.. Hopefully the good metrics will continue here. My toaster broke, so I think I will go to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy a new one today. Since I've been buying, slicing, and freezing bread lately, the toaster has become a more useful tool for me than it used to be. Hope all is well with you. 

I finally finished The Pallisers a couple of days ago. Will post in "I Just Watched" later or over the weekend. Great series, though I was not as fond of the episodes in which the Pallisers do not play a major part.