Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I like all of Lizabeth Scott's performances;  especially in I Walk Alone with lovely background music.  Too Late for Tears may have been her best performance, but I did like Martha Ivers too.  I just recently watched a great film with Lizabeth Scott and Paul Henreid, called The Stolen Face.  I had seen it many years ago on TV as a kid and was so impressed that I actually recalled the film when I saw it again in a boxed set.

Liz was a highly underrated actress and was great in many a film!

Yes, THE STOLEN FACE is a sturdy British noir she did. When Paul Henreid was Star of the Month a few summers ago, TCM aired it. 

Lizabeth Scott is just as good in westerns as she is in noir, which most critics fail to recognise.

• Like 1

After watching The Joker is Wild, I wanted to watch another Mitzi Gaynor film, so I decided to watch one of my favorite musicals: There's No Business Like Show Business.  I've seen this film multiple times and I never tire of it.  I know that Marilyn Monroe didn't want to do this film and it's not really *her* film, it's more Ethel Merman's film, however, Monroe brings her unique brand of charm and sexuality to her role of Vicki and I really enjoy her performance.  Her "Heat Wave" number is electric. 

24z9dza.jpg

• Like 1

I'm with you speedracer-love Heat Wave....Donald O'Connor has a few good dance numbers in that too.

I'll be putting CALL ME MADAM in the player tonight. I slept through the entire thing last time, so I'll give it another shot. Found it in library's lists by accident, pleasant surprise!

• Like 3

I'm with you speedracer-love Heat Wave....Donald O'Connor has a few good dance numbers in that too.

I'll be putting CALL ME MADAM in the player tonight. I slept through the entire thing last time, so I'll give it another shot. Found it in library's lists by accident, pleasant surprise!

I also love Monroe's song near the beginning of the film, "After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want it."  That was also a fantastic dress she wore.  She has such a unique way of delivering a song.  Her renditions ooze so much charm and sexuality.  I love the slight vibrato she puts on her voice and how her wispy baby voice disappears during her songs.  Monroe was a great singer.  Maybe not in the same range as Ethel Merman and Judy Garland, but she had her own style and she is very enjoyable to watch.

My absolute favorite dress though, is the red strapless column dress that Mitzi Gaynor wears in the finale.  She looks absolutely amazing in that dress.  It looks like it was poured onto her body.  I always feel like I need to go on a major diet after seeing her in that dress.  

This film is just so much fun and I never tire of it.  Great music, fun story, fun actors and fun songs.  It is entertaining from beginning to end.  What else can you ask for in a film?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm watching eps from The Little Rascals box set. I haven't seen these shorts in decades... I'm on the pre-Alfalfa period, with Jackie Cooper and Mary Ann and Chubby, etc. A lot of the humor can appeal to adults too. I'm not that crazy about the racial stereotyping at times, but I do love all the outdoor shots of the rural Los Angeles of the 20s and 30s.

• Like 2

I'm watching eps from The Little Rascals box set. I haven't seen these shorts in decades... I'm on the pre-Alfalfa period, with Jackie Cooper and Mary Ann and Chubby, etc. A lot of the humor can appeal to adults too. I'm not that crazy about the racial stereotyping at times, but I do love all the outdoor shots of the rural Los Angeles of the 20s and 30s.

I always get Jackie Cooper and Jackie Coogan mixed up.  Right now I'm watching Jackie Coogan in an episode of The Lucy Show.  The only reason I knew it was Coogan is because I know he's Uncle Fester and it looked like Uncle Fester with a mustache.  Lol. 

I always get Jackie Cooper and Jackie Coogan mixed up. Right now I'm watching Jackie Coogan in an episode of The Lucy Show. The only reason I knew it was Coogan is because I know he's Uncle Fester and it looked like Uncle Fester with a mustache. Lol.

Jackie Cooper as a kid is so adorable you just want to squeeze him and pinch his cheeks, lol.
  • Like 3

I ended up watching a bazillion episodes of The Lucy Show on Hulu, so I decided that I needed to take a break from Lucy and watch my other love, Errol.

I'm watching The Adventures of Robin Hood.  Robin Hood's entrance into Prince John's banquet (with the deer flung over his shoulders) is one of the greatest movie entrances of all time.  I always laugh when Claude Rains refers to Errol Flynn as a "saucy fellow." 

I can't help but always find Patric Knowles dull in his films.  Not in an offensive matter of dull, I'll still watch films that he's in (but I wouldn't watch a film because he's in it), but he's just bland--especially in comparison to frequent co-star Flynn.  In comparison to Flynn, he's just got no panache. 

My favorite scene in this film is the romantic scene between Errol and Olivia.  He sneaks into her bedroom window and overhears her essentially talking about how big of a crush she has on Robin Hood.  I also love the archery scene with the "Tall Tinker." 

I am watching Edmond O'Brien and Ruth Roman in THE SHANGHAI STORY. It's something I had been wanting to see and came across a copy on YouTube. The way all these people are stuck in close living quarters, prisoners of the Chinese communists, on some level reminds me of The Diary of Anne Frank.

I'm watching "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". It's on as background noise while I clean my place, but I keep getting distracted by it, and posting, lol...

My absolute favorite part of that film is when Myrna Loy describes how she wants her house painted.  It's so particular and crazy, but it completely makes sense.  You want yellow walls, but a particular shade of yellow.  You know the specific shade of yellow that you want.  I know I'd rather have butter yellow walls than canary yellow walls. 

I am wrapped up in my weekly TVLand Golden Girls marathon.  I never tire of this show.

I like Golden Girls too.  My daughter and I like to watch them starting from the beginning.   We like all of these ladies,

but especially admire Estelle Getty as Sophia.   We never get tired of them either, but branched off to watch other things.

I get back to my "old movies" and she to watching newer films and series.  Soon we will be back on track.  We just

love Herb Edelman as Stan, Bea Arthur's errant ex.

Betty White is amazing, hanging in at 94!  What a talented lady.  Each has a unique personality; the "wayward" Blanche,

the "naive and silly" Rose, the forceful and yet inwardly soft Dorothy.  Last but not least, is the outspoken Sophia with her

zingers and one-liners.  What's not to love?

Next week we will be back on target in between watching Unsolved Mysteries and our favorite movies.

• Like 1

Jackie Cooper as a kid is so adorable you just want to squeeze him and pinch his cheeks, lol.

My sister and I watched lots of Little Rascals and Jackie Cooper was so cute in them with that lower lip trembling with emotions.  As an adult he was still very attractive and it was part of his smile. (I loved him in the 30's film THe Champ where he expressed his grief at his dad's impending passing and telling him how proud he was of him.  He was also great in Treasure Island telling off the pirates, who eventually became his friends.  Later we spotted him on Twilight Zone.  He was distinctive in everything).

OF course the wonderful Uncle Fester from the Addams Family.  Our dad used to say, There's Jackie Coogan, but we had never seen him in earlier things.  Later when they got the Silent films going with the right camera speeds, we were able to enjoy Jackie's serious films as a child.  In the 60's and 70's I read that they could not broadcast the Silents for us to watch, as they could not achieve the right camera speed.  Hence, Fractured Flickers which often showed quite a collage of Silents.  They would show a patchwork of moments from the great silents.

As a kid I had the impression that they were mostly comedies;  Charlie Chaplin's funny walk, etc.  But some of the collages showed lovely women like Helene Costello weeping.  In the 90's to the present I have learned a lot about the Silents and have come to regard them highly too.  Jackie Coogan was a great part of that earlier time.

• Like 1

I ended up watching a bazillion episodes of The Lucy Show on Hulu, so I decided that I needed to take a break from Lucy and watch my other love, Errol.

I'm watching The Adventures of Robin Hood.  Robin Hood's entrance into Prince John's banquet (with the deer flung over his shoulders) is one of the greatest movie entrances of all time.  I always laugh when Claude Rains refers to Errol Flynn as a "saucy fellow." 

I can't help but always find Patric Knowles dull in his films.  Not in an offensive matter of dull, I'll still watch films that he's in (but I wouldn't watch a film because he's in it), but he's just bland--especially in comparison to frequent co-star Flynn.  In comparison to Flynn, he's just got no panache. 

My favorite scene in this film is the romantic scene between Errol and Olivia.  He sneaks into her bedroom window and overhears her essentially talking about how big of a crush she has on Robin Hood.  I also love the archery scene with the "Tall Tinker." 

I know what you mean about Patric Knowles.  I think they do that for a certain variance in films.  In The Mystery of Marie Roget Patric assists with the murder investigation and seems always very reserved,  ....  In an earlier film with Lucille Ball from the 30's called Beauty for the Asking, he plays a handsome guy who passes up and jilts Lucille (a beauty operator) for another woman who has

a lot of money, played to perfection by the reserved Frieda Inescourt.  Later when he is married to the rich girl, she discovers his past and both plan to enact revenge on this Don Juan.  Not that simple!

In The Wolf Man (my favorite with the great Claude Rains and marvelous Lon Chaney, Jr., )  Patric quietly stands out with a subdued personality.

I too love the scene with Olivia and Errol in Robin Hood.  Her beautiful smile is unforgettable and Errol is supremely handsome and debonair.  Claude Rains is great in this film and I love to spot Alan Hale in his role there as well.

• Like 3

At the moment I am not watching anything. But earlier this morning I looked at THE BIG KNIFE on Amazon Prime. And a short while ago I finished watching UNTIL THEY SAIL, an on-demand TCM selection on Sling.

I'd seen THE BIG KNIFE before but because it had been so long, I was eager to review it. It held up as well as I thought it did-- again, I was very impressed with Ida Lupino's performance. 

And I loved UNTIL THEY SAIL, which was a 'new' classic film for me. Jean Simmons can do no wrong in my book. Ever.

• Like 1

Yes, THE STOLEN FACE is a sturdy British noir she did. When Paul Henreid was Star of the Month a few summers ago, TCM aired it. 

Lizabeth Scott is just as good in westerns as she is in noir, which most critics fail to recognise.

I agree.  Not exactly a Western, but I do admire Lizabeth Scott in Desert Fury, which I failed to mention earlier.  Mary Astor is very good in this film as well as John Hodiak and Wendell Corey.  When Liz turns one boyfriend fdown for another (who appears gentle but has hidden violence) there was sure to be trouble! 

The beautiful color desert scenes are lovely to behold, as well as a scene in Mary's house which appears to be a picture window that has  a built-in terrarium with lovely blooming flowers and beautiful cactus plants.  If I lived in a desert locale, I would want such a window too!

At the moment I am not watching anything. But earlier this morning I looked at THE BIG KNIFE on Amazon Prime. And a short while ago I finished watching UNTIL THEY SAIL, an on-demand TCM selection on Sling.

I'd seen THE BIG KNIFE before but because it had been so long, I was eager to review it. It held up as well as I thought it did-- again, I was very impressed with Ida Lupino's performance. 

And I loved UNTIL THEY SAIL, which was a 'new' classic film for me. Jean Simmons can do no wrong in my book. Ever.

Sling? What is that? 

I love Jean Simmons movies.  If she is in a movie I will watch it at least once. 

The Big Knife is a strong film.  I have seen it a few times.  I love Ida Lupino both in front of and behind the camera.

• Like 1

Sling? What is that? 

I love Jean Simmons movies.  If she is in a movie I will watch it at least once. 

The Big Knife is a strong film.  I have seen it a few times.  I love Ida Lupino both in front of and behind the camera.

Thanks for the comment, GregoryPeckfan. 

Sling is a way to get TCM and other channels online, instead of cable. It works if you have a smart TV with internet service.

• Like 1

Well, I just watched Phantom Lady, a great Film Noir with Franchot Tone, Alan Curtis and

Ella Raines.  The suspense is practically nail-biting as Ella's character launches a desperate investigation of her own to find a witness to provide an alibi to a murder.  The story is greatly

enhanced by the wonderful and understated Thomas Gomez as the investigator and Elisha Cooke as a possible witnesss.  Both provided a great performance.

Another great masterpiece from the pen of Cornell Woolrich, I found out.  I had seen many including The Leopard Man and Deadline at Dawn, but had never caught this one.  Really well-recommended,

• Like 1

Well, I just watched Phantom Lady, a great Film Noir with Franchot Tone, Alan Curtis and

Ella Raines.  The suspense is practically nail-biting as Ella's character launches a desperate investigation of her own to find a witness to provide an alibi to a murder.  The story is greatly

enhanced by the wonderful and understated Thomas Gomez as the investigator and Elisha Cooke as a possible witnesss.  Both provided a great performance.

Another great masterpiece from the pen of Cornell Woolrich, I found out.  I had seen many including The Leopard Man and Deadline at Dawn, but had never caught this one.  Really well-recommended,

Another good Universal noir from this period with Ella Raines is THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY. George Sanders plays Harry. It's on Amazon Prime.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment, GregoryPeckfan. 

Sling is a way to get TCM and other channels online, instead of cable. It works if you have a smart TV with internet service.

I too am a Jean Simmons and Gregory Peck fan. 

Regarding Ida, I have always been her fan.  I saw The Big Knife a few weeks ago and it was both frightening and entertaining.  Ida was a great actress and later a very good director.  She really shone in all of her 40's and 50's performances. 

It was only in the last few years that I discovered Ida was in some great 30's films too.  I read that she was very youn when she first performed before the cameras..

One great 30's film of note is from a Kipling story, The Light That Failed with Ronald Colman and Ida.  She plays a resentful charwoman who works for an artist and his friend.  Mistakenly thinking the artist had turned his friend away from her, she takes revenge on him in a cruel way.  Later his forgiveness and the denouement of the story is quite touching.

• Like 1