Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

Recommended Posts

I just watched an oddity of sorts...a Kraft Music Hall from 67 hosted by,...Woody Allen.  I wouldn't associate the two, even in this time frame, but he did sketch comedy as a Shirley Temple-type child star, and a take-off on Bonnie and Clyde...and talked 60s politics with William F. Buckley (?).  sort of an interesting little time capsule, complete with mini skirt dilemma.   If you want to see it, here's a link (Uncle Earl's site)  https://www.solie.org/alibrary/KraftMusicHall_WoodyAllenLooksat1967.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching a British suspense drama called DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS (1948). Someone uploaded it on YouTube ten hours ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catastrophe TV series.  Sort of an R-rated modern comedic twist to Love with the Proper Stranger.    An American man on a business trip to London meets an Irish woman.  They hit it off, hook up and he goes home.  She calls him later to inform him that she's pregnant.   They decide to make a go of it as a couple and the rest of the series follows their ups and downs.    It's not perfect but I appreciate that they let the characters have moments of selfishness and failure.  Carrie Fisher played the American's mother.  She died at the end of season three and they incorporated her death into the final season.   Only four seasons long. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 2 episodes of The Streets of San Francisco. I am going in reverse order. I started with Season 5 a few weeks ago, then watched Season 4, followed by Season 3. Now Season 2. I don't know how Michael Douglas & Karl Malden do it, but they keep defying age and are looking younger and younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great episode of The Streets of San Francisco. This one has Peter Strauss playing a priest killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not watching anything at the moment, which is rare for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have finished Episode 20 of The Pallisers. There are 26 in all. Brilliant show from England from 1974, based on a series of novels by Anthony Trollope (1815-1882).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching THE BLIND GODDESS (1948) on YouTube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone uploaded WEDNESDAY'S CHILD (1934) on YouTube. 

Starring Edward Arnold, Karen Morley & Frankie Thomas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched I Knew Her Well (1965), an Italian film starring Stefania Sandrelli, directed by Antonio Pietrangeli. I've seen this three times and I want more. I can't believe how good this is. It seems a sleeper, maybe. No one talks about it. This should be famous. The exposition is variable and loose but it comes around in a big way. This is worthy of Bergman or Antionielli. Pietrangeli died somewhat young, I think; or he may have been more well known. This effort is brilliant. Will somebody please do themselves a favor and watch it. I'm going to do a full review sometime when I stop being lazy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stefania Sandrelli was someone I had never heard of until just recently. I was glancing over Dustin Hoffman's filmography and came across an obscure title he made in 1972 called ALFREDO ALFREDO. Sandrelli plays his wife in the picture, I think. I haven't seen it yet. 

But she seems like someone who has had a very successful motion picture career in Italy. 

On her wiki page, she is said to have received many awards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefania_Sandrelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment, I am watching a Randolph Scott western.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching my copy of Kiss Me Deadly on Criterion.  I first saw this a year or so ago when I discovered Ralph Meeker via Jeopardy.  I was on a Meeker kick and that's when I watched 'Deadly' and Something Wild.  I love Ralph Meeker. He didn't have the biggest movie career, but he has a very interesting one and seems to have appeared in many acclaimed films.  I just saw him in The Naked Spur the other day and watched him in Paths of Glory a few weeks ago.  He was excellent in both films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been catching up on episodes of Brothers & Sisters on Hulu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been recently obsessed with William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy so have been watching a bunch of "Hoppies" on YouTube.  Love them!  Perfect for these horrid pandemic days and nights.

He just replaced Roy Rogers on my "sexy cowboy" list.

Although I have to say that Harry Carey SENIOR is numero uno!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, laffite said:

I just watched I Knew Her Well (1965), an Italian film starring Stefania Sandrelli, directed by Antonio Pietrangeli. I've seen this three times and I want more. I can't believe how good this is. It seems a sleeper, maybe. No one talks about it. This should be famous. The exposition is variable and loose but it comes around in a big way. This is worthy of Bergman or Antionielli. Pietrangeli died somewhat young, I think; or he may have been more well known. This effort is brilliant. Will somebody please do themselves a favor and watch it. I'm going to do a full review sometime when I stop being lazy.

lafitte, is Stefania Sandrelli the fetching young woman who Marcello Mastroianni takes a fancy to (over his wife with the heavy mustache) in DIVORCE, ITALIAN STYLE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I've been recently obsessed with William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy so have been watching a bunch of "Hoppies" on YouTube.  Love them!  Perfect for these horrid pandemic days and nights.

He just replaced Roy Rogers on my "sexy cowboy" list.

Although I have to say that Harry Carey SENIOR is numero uno!  

Girls are lucky because they have cowboys to be all a-flutter about. But what about us boys. We don't have much to flutter about. (Or do men flutter? I think they ogle) Cowgirls are few and far between.

Yes, stefania sandrelli was in divorce, Italian Style. I had to look it up, waah. I have not seen her in any other film but she has quite a filmography. If you like foreign films I wish you would watch I Knew Her Well. I would Like to know your take. I think the movie is positively brilliant. I always feel an inner grimace when I use the word brilliant because I'm clearly not brilliant myself Nonetheless, the movie is brilliant anyway.

///

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, laffite said:

Girls are lucky because they have cowboys to be all a-flutter about. But what about us boys. We don't have much to flutter about. (Or do men flutter? I think they ogle) Cowgirls are few and far between.

Yes, stefania sandrelli was in divorce, Italian Style. I had to look it up, waah. I have not seen her in any other film but she has quite a filmography. If you like foreign films I wish you would watch I Knew Her Well. I would Like to know your take. I think the movie is positively brilliant. I always feel an inner grimace when I use the word brilliant because I'm clearly not brilliant myself Nonetheless, the movie is brilliant anyway.

///

I would rather have a showgirl than a cowgirl.   (PS that is Phyllis Davis on the right from Vegas,  which is being shown on Decades, right after Dark Shadows).

 

phyllis davis - Google Search | Phyllis, Bikinis, Women

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would rather have a showgirl than a cowgirl.

 

phyllis davis - Google Search | Phyllis, Bikinis, Women

But it would nice if they were substantial enough not to be blowed over by a puff o" wind.

Never happy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 3:47 PM, laffite said:

Girls are lucky because they have cowboys to be all a-flutter about. But what about us boys. We don't have much to flutter about. (Or do men flutter? I think they ogle) Cowgirls are few and far between.

Yes, stefania sandrelli was in divorce, Italian Style. I had to look it up, waah. I have not seen her in any other film but she has quite a filmography. If you like foreign films I wish you would watch I Knew Her Well. I would Like to know your take. I think the movie is positively brilliant. I always feel an inner grimace when I use the word brilliant because I'm clearly not brilliant myself Nonetheless, the movie is brilliant anyway.

///

lafitte, trust me -- you are brilliant.

I was thinking about I KNEW HER WELL and then it dawned on me that I had seen bits and pieces of it -- didn't she move into a tiny balcony apartment in Rome?   I must see this in its entirety.

As for cowgirls, there's always Annie Oakley.  But you wouldn't want to get on her bad side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually watch something my Mom and I agree on.  Last night, it was some Don Juan movie with Errol Flynn and V. Lindfors (sp?) - saw her son Kris Tabori (sp?) years ago on a class field trip to see Romeo and Juliet.  He was Romeo and David Birney was Mercutio (my favorite character in the play -- much like I liked Bernardo or Riff in West Side Story).  

Slightly Off Topic, do any of you still watch GMA, Today or CBS Morning shows (weekdays - I like CBS Sunday morning)?  In my opinion, they are so dumb-downed today.  Also, since when did it become okay, especially during the pandemic, where many of us are encouraged to buy locally (if possible), for these steals and deals, etc.?  This has been going on for many years.  Some celebrities and others are using our current horrific situation to make a buck or for self-promotion.  Singers who are writing pandemic songs, etc.  Talking heads on TV make mega bucks.  There are so many people around the world literally having to make life or death choices.  Please stop telling us we are all in this together.

 

Sorry for the rant.  Don't know what I'll watch during lunch.  I developed crushes on various individuals on TV, including Michael Douglas, Davy Jones, and my favorite Beatle was George Harrison.  Lots of good looking guys in films and TV over the years.  Never went for vapid or insipid types.  Thought Anthony Bourdain was sexy in his own way.  Preferred Leslie Howard to Gable (though he was good looking also).  Robert Redford is still good looking but I preferred Paul Newman (who was roughly my Dad's age).

Now USA is running Vegas repeats (not the Robert Urich series).  James Caan was good and then he was replaced by Tom Selleck (my Mom remembers first seeing him in Coma and I remember watching him play basically a private eye very similar to Magnum).  I liked the Jesse Stone series that Hallmark used to run.  And, to tie into Robert Urich, both were based on the late Robert Parker books - which are still being written by someone else).

Excuse typos and slightly off-topic rant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

lafitte, trust me -- you are brilliant.

I was thinking about I KNEW HER WELL and then it dawned on me that I had seen bits and pieces of it -- didn't she move into a tiny balcony apartment in Rome?   I must see this in its entirety.

As for cowgirls, there's always Annie Oakley.  But you wouldn't want to get on her bad side. 

Too kind. Too kind. I am humbled reading those old threads. i don't think I could keep up.

I hope you try it. If you do , I DEMAND a review. We can talk about it. It's on Netflix and Criterion channel. Probably elsewhere too. I wonder if TCM ever showed it.

I'm staying away from Annie.

////

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...