Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Just watched Young Frankenstein at lunchtime.  Brooks/Wilder respect both the films and the novel.  Madeline Kahn is hilarious.

Kahn really was a gem of an actress, wasn't she!

• Like 1

Yes she was.

Last night re-watched The Bone Collector.  It differs a lot from the Deaver novel (the first in the Lincoln Rhyme series).  Rhyme is white and Amelia is older; however, I loved the pairing of Denzel and Angelina.  Would love to reteam again in The Coffin Dancer (2nd in the series).  I do not care that Queen Latifah, a black woman, is in place of the white assistant in the novel;  and casting a black man as a character written as white still worked for me.  Denzel did great in the role; however, the TV series based on the first novel was pretty terrible.  There is a lot in the movie that has been abbreviated or altered.  I still like the movie and bought Rhyme and Amanda as a couple.

After that, I watched Peggy Sue Got Married for a little bit.  It was when Kathleen Turner was "hot."

• Like 1

Yeah, Kathleen Turner has changed a lot over the years.

I'm watching an episode of Rawhide right now, from the show's first season.

Margaret O'Brien is the guest star...circa 1959.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 3:46 PM, laffite said:

Too kind. Too kind. I am humbled reading those old threads. i don't think I could keep up.

I hope you try it. If you do , I DEMAND a review. We can talk about it. It's on Netflix and Criterion channel. Probably elsewhere too. I wonder if TCM ever showed it.

I'm staying away from Annie.

////

TCM did run I KNEW HER WELL -- I think it was part of their Sunday Imports line-up and so that's where I saw some of it.

Your demand is my pleasure - I'll definitely share my thoughts when I am able to watch the whole thing.

Ethel Merman and Betty Hutton both played Annie on stage and film, respectively.  From everything I've read about those two, you wouldn't have wanted to get on their bad side IRL.

3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

TCM did run I KNEW HER WELL -- I think it was part of their Sunday Imports line-up and so that's where I saw some of it.

Your demand is my pleasure - I'll definitely share my thoughts when I am able to watch the whole thing.

Ethel Merman and Betty Hutton both played Annie on stage and film, respectively.  From everything I've read about those two, you wouldn't have wanted to get on their bad side IRL.

I saw Betty in PERILS OF PAULINE a few months ago and loved her. I did quite a bit of laughing. Constance Collier, the elder English lady, was a hoot as well. As far as Ethel is concerned It's okay if she shoots me so long as she doesn't sing.

That's nice that TCM aired IKHW (ouch, those initials are terrible, looks like a slasher movie, or something. The K and H together are awful). I haven't actually posted anything on the site yet. Which is surprising being so attached to the film. Maybe it would be better if I responded to you. I have the movie at my beck and call because it is on the Criterion Channel. I love that movie so much, it would be easy to watch it yet again.

thnx, Bronxie Barb

///

Last night, watched Sex and the Single Girl.  Also, Regis on Celebrity Jeopardy .  Not a fan of when celebrities play because, like most Jeopardy fans I know, they want to see both boards completed.

Tonight, Enter Laughing is a movie I've never seen.  Just watched All of Me - Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin (remember them respectively from Laugh-in and The Smothers Brothers).

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, watched Sex and the Single Girl.  Also, Regis on Celebrity Jeopardy .  Not a fan of when celebrities play because, like most Jeopardy fans I know, they want to see both boards completed.

Tonight, Enter Laughing is a movie I've never seen.  Just watched All of Me - Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin (remember them respectively from Laugh-in and The Smothers Brothers).

Not understanding the "they want to see both boards completed".       E.g. who are 'they' (the fans of the show, like you and I),  or these celebrities?

Anyhow are you saying that generally celebrities are not very good players and therefore the boards are not completed?

E.g.  does it really take longer to complete a board when questions are answered incorrect (I know it does if no one buzzes in at all!). 

Clarification on the above.  I'm talking about people like my Mom and I who like to get through all the clues because, selfishly, we want to test our knowledge.  NY Times has Jeopardy Clue of the day, which both my Mom and I do.  I cannot make a generic comment about celebrities being good players.  Some of them could qualify for the regular program.  I think, over the years, the producers started to choose celebrities who didn't use Jeopardy to do schtick.  If you watched the first ten years, you probably realized how Alex Trebek abbreviated the comments he made before the first item in a previously unchosen category.

• Thanks 1

Watched Jeopardy last night.  The Budweiser?  Good game though.

Watched Enter Laughing and enjoyed finding out that Carl Reiner loved Random Harvest (Ronald Coleman).  I thought the movie was cute and I would like to have seen Arkin in the film (though Rene Santoni was good).  Also enjoyed seeing Elaine May.  However, they chose films Carl Reiner directed.  I wish they would have shown films that featured his acting skills as well:  The Russians are Coming... and The Gazebo (funny film which I saw as a youngster and made me have a mixed reaction towards gazebos).

20 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Watched Jeopardy last night.  The Budweiser?  Good game though.

Watched Enter Laughing and enjoyed finding out that Carl Reiner loved Random Harvest (Ronald Coleman).  I thought the movie was cute and I would like to have seen Arkin in the film (though Rene Santoni was good).  Also enjoyed seeing Elaine May.  However, they chose films Carl Reiner directed.  I wish they would have shown films that featured his acting skills as well:  The Russians are Coming... and The Gazebo (funny film which I saw as a youngster and made me have a mixed reaction towards gazebos).

I agree...they should have mixed things up a bit...showing films that demonstrated his skill as an actor as well as director.

• Like 2

I watched The Ghost of Peter Sellers (2018),  a documentary by Peter Medak about his experience directing the movie "Ghost in the Noonday Sun" in 1973.    Medak talks to surviving cast and crew about their shared miserable experience making the doomed pirate comedy.   Medak had no experience filming on a ship at sea, the script by Spike Milligan was a nonsensical mess, Peter Sellers immediately regretted taking the job and began to sabotage the production.  Sellers faked a heart-attack.  Medak thinking his star was recovering in a local  Greek hospital opens up the paper to see a picture of Sellers on the town in London with Princess Margaret.   Sellers tried rallying the crew to mutiny against the director.  Anthony Franciosa, a friend of Sellers, was hired to play a swashbuckling pirate.  By the end of the shoot, Sellers had refused to be in the same scene with Franciosa.  Spike Milligan was called in to fix the script at Sellers request, by the end the two weren't speaking.  Director Peter Medak was clearly traumatized by his experience on the film,  feeling that it tanked his promising career, yet he still gets weepy when he refers to of the genius of Peter Sellers.   

• Like 1

I'm watching Barney Miller, and it just dawned on me that they have more jail cell space in Mayberry than in the 12th precinct in NYC...hmmm

• Haha 2
On 8/3/2020 at 5:24 AM, Peebs said:

I watched The Ghost of Peter Sellers (2018),  a documentary by Peter Medak about his experience directing the movie "Ghost in the Noonday Sun" in 1973.    Medak talks to surviving cast and crew about their shared miserable experience making the doomed pirate comedy.   Medak had no experience filming on a ship at sea, the script by Spike Milligan was a nonsensical mess, Peter Sellers immediately regretted taking the job and began to sabotage the production.  Sellers faked a heart-attack.  Medak thinking his star was recovering in a local  Greek hospital opens up the paper to see a picture of Sellers on the town in London with Princess Margaret.   Sellers tried rallying the crew to mutiny against the director.  Anthony Franciosa, a friend of Sellers, was hired to play a swashbuckling pirate.  By the end of the shoot, Sellers had refused to be in the same scene with Franciosa.  Spike Milligan was called in to fix the script at Sellers request, by the end the two weren't speaking.  Director Peter Medak was clearly traumatized by his experience on the film,  feeling that it tanked his promising career, yet he still gets weepy when he refers to of the genius of Peter Sellers.   

Sounds like a good documentary, with a lot of insights into production and clashing egos. 

I wonder if Sellers and Franciosa patched up their differences...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Sounds like a good documentary, with a lot of insights into production and clashing egos. 

I wonder if Sellers and Franciosa patched up their differences...?

Certainly an interesting look at a production that one of the producers in hindsight said should never have been made.  They interviewed Franciosa's widow and I don't think they resumed their friendship.   

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Certainly an interesting look at a production that one of the producers in hindsight said should never have been made.  They interviewed Franciosa's widow and I don't think they resumed their friendship.   

From what I was reading, it sounds like Sellers had a sadistic streak in him. He was probably too smart for them, and he enjoyed playing his "friends" against each other. But they were all in awe of his talent and were powerless to stop his misbehavior.

I also read that Sellers attempted to buy the film, to fix it...which means he probably wanted to correct the mistakes he made. But Columbia would only hand it over for twice what it cost to make...so Sellers dropped that idea. It was not released until 1985, a dozen years after it was made, and five years after Sellers' death.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

From what I was reading, it sounds like Sellers had a sadistic streak in him. He was probably too smart for them, and he enjoyed playing his "friends" against each other. But they were all in awe of his talent and were powerless to stop his misbehavior.

Yes, that's certainly true for this movie.  Also, they show a clip of Sellers saying something like he's only worked with a couple of good directors and in the future he plans on being more selective.  He sounded frustrated by much of the material he was in and torn, frankly, by the money and perks  some of those films brought him. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Peebs said:

Yes, that's certainly true for this movie.  Also, they show a clip of Sellers saying something like he's only worked with a couple of good directors and in the future he plans on being more selective.  He sounded frustrated by much of the material he was in and torn, frankly, by the money and perks  some of those films brought him. 

Have you seen the movie? I know you said you watched the documentary, but have you seen GHOST IN THE NOONDAY SUN...?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Have you seen the movie? I know you said you watched the documentary, but have you seen GHOST IN THE NOONDAY SUN...?

Good question.  No, I haven't.  That would have been a great "extra" with the documentary to have included the actual movie.  I don't suppose Peter Medak wants people to see it.   I'll have to keep an eye out for it.    (I take it you haven't seen it, either?)

9 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Good question.  No, I haven't.  That would have been a great "extra" with the documentary to have included the actual movie.  I don't suppose Peter Medak wants people to see it.   I'll have to keep an eye out for it.    (I take it you haven't seen it, either?)

No. Haven't seen it. It would make a good double feature on TCM. To show the documentary first, then the actual movie...and let people judge it for themselves!

• Like 1

Assassination in Rome (1965) - AMC On Demand

w/ Hugh O'Brian and Cyd Charisse. And directed by Silvio Amadio.

According to the on-screen description, this is a thriller where "(a) PR man searches the Italian underworld for an ex-girlfriend's husband believed to be a spy".

I knew things had been a tad busy for me the last number of months. And I was spending so much time on my laptop for work that I just had to get away from it for leisure. But, until now, I hadn't realized that I hadn't posted anything since April 6th or even reacted to someone else's post since June 19th. Obviously I've got a lot of catching up to do over here.

As for choosing this particular movie to watch while catching up, I went with simple alphabetical order as this movie is currently the first one listed for AMC On Demand. And I haven't seen it previously. And it is old enough that it probably hasn't been cut by AMC. So if it is a good movie, I'll enjoy it. And if it isn't, well, I'm multitasking anyway.

• Like 2