Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I recently watched the spy movie The Deadly Affair 1967 and  enjoyed  the  movie . It had an excellent cast  James Mason , Simone Signoret, Maxmilliam Schell, Harriest  Andersson, Kenneth Haigh and  Harry Andrews. The Deadly Affair was also an Redgrave family affair, as  Lynn  and  her brother Corin  were in  the movie.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Watching THE L-SHAPED ROOM (1962). 

I'd never seen it before. Makes me want to read the book it's based on by Lynne Reid Banks.

Did you like The L-Shaped Room?  Leslie Caron is quite good in it, I think. 

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Did you like The L-Shaped Room?  Leslie Caron is quite good in it, I think. 

Thank you for following up and asking me this. I woke up this morning and it was the first thing I thought of-- the film itself, then Bryan Forbes' direction (and the changes he made from Lynne Reid Banks' original story) plus Leslie Caron's performance. She should have had an Oscar for it. So many remarkable scenes. My "favorite" part was the brief montage where she's walking after taking the pills and her collapsing. I've collapsed in public (years ago) and this is exactly how it is, where there are these little jumps in time, losing consciousness and going down.

In the book, which I haven't read yet, Jane the main character has a boy. Not sure why Forbes felt the need to switch the child's gender to a girl. Banks wrote two more books with this character raising her son, so there is a trilogy of sorts. 

I think the second-best performance after Caron's was of course Cicely Courtneidge's performance as the over-the-top over-the-hill music hall performer. 

The least effective performance I regret to say was Brock Peters'. He's a highly competent actor but was miscast and while he nailed the beats of individual scenes I don't think he brought the right amount of pathos to his character. I felt Johnny, his character, should have been a bit more tormented about his obviously loving Toby and having to witness Toby's relationship with Jane right under his nose. 

In some ways Jane is the protagonist and the antagonist of the piece. She's a catalyst in all their lives (and they are catalysts in her life). And interestingly, life just keeps humming along after she has the baby and leaves.

The final scene where she goes back to retrieve her things and meets Jane II, the new boarder in her old room-- that had echoes of the final scene in ALL ABOUT EVE. Though we are told that Jane II has no intention of interacting with the other boarders, we know she will get drawn into their lives and they will get drawn into hers, just as we had seen happen to Jane I.

I gave this film a 10/10 on the IMDb.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finishing  watching  the very good  comedy  The  Wheeler  Dealers  1963.  James  Garner and  Lee  Remick  were a wonderful  team  in this  comedy. Jim Backus, Chill  Wills and  Phil  Harris  provided  good  support in this movie. I  enjoyed  the performance  of  Pat  Crowley  and  the director  Arthur Hiller did a good job  in this movie.

• Like 1

I am engaged in a marathon viewing. BLOOD MONEY LOVE is a Turkish Miniseries that seems to be for those who like blood and guts action, crying and mental suffering, and at the same time and paradoxically also those who like sappy romance. The first 20 episodes were all plot and I got hooked. As the subsequent episodes enfolded the story has settled down and the sappy romantic types are getting more play. There is nothing wrong with sappy romance, per se, but here it is overdone. And understand, sappy romance is just that. There is no sex scenes. Anyone who likes between the sheets stuff will be disappointed. No, what you get is a man and a woman sitting in a restaurant talking about much they love each other. It's like Barbara Cartland all over again but on screen. They last so long and are so boring (due to repetition) that I have become accustomed to using the 10-second fast forward function. I am currently on Episode 80 and I'm not even half done. The show consists of 164 42-minute episodes and doing the math comes out to about 113 hours. Compare with The Sopranos, 86 hour-long show falls far short. The music is very repetitious but very good. Simply conversations (not the lovey dovey ones) are in progress and then someone says something that triggers some dramatically tense music at judiciously low volume that results in a good effect. The conversation rolls on. As I forge ahead I tend to find things wrong but I continue clicking for the episode. I usually start about 8pm and sometimes keep going until 3am.  The show had done a good job of extending the plot without it seeming overly contrived. It IS overly contrived and quite unrealistic but that's nothing new with this sort of thing. 

• Like 1

I  watched  an  very  good   episode  of  I  Spy  called  The  Honorable  Assassins.  Robert Culp  and  Bill Cosby  were  rescuing  a man , daughter across  the Moroccan Desert  from bandits. The episode had very good  guest stars Nehemiah Persoff  and  Dorothy  Lamour . So in this episode ,  Dorothy  Lamour has had  a another Road To  Morocco .

• Like 1

I  liked  your  thread  about  The  Streets  Of   San  Francisco  and  one my  favorite  episode  is  Blockade  from   season  two.  The  episode  is loaded  with good  guest stars,  Ida Lupino , Charles Martin  Smith , Patty  McCormack and Don Stroud.  Don Stroud  always plays  a good  crook ,  like he was in  Coogan's  Bluff. In the opening scene, Don and  Charles  murder  Cheryl  Ladd.  Lt.  Stone  and  Inspector Kellar  are called in  to   investigate  this murder case . The two bad guys  are  holed  up  in  a house  with Ida and Patty. Both  ladies  are  held   hostages  and  Lt. Stone  and  Inspector  Kellar  rescue them. I enjoyed  this  episode  and are a big  fan  of   this  series.

• Like 1
On 11/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, cinemaman said:

I  liked  your  thread  about  The  Streets  Of   San  Francisco  and  one my  favorite  episode  is  Blockade  from   season  two.  The  episode  is loaded  with good  guest stars,  Ida Lupino , Charles Martin  Smith , Patty  McCormack and Don Stroud.  Don Stroud  always plays  a good  crook ,  like he was in  Coogan's  Bluff. In the opening scene, Don and  Charles  murder  Cheryl  Ladd.  Lt.  Stone  and  Inspector Kellar  are called in  to   investigate  this murder case . The two bad guys  are  holed  up  in  a house  with Ida and Patty. Both  ladies  are  held   hostages  and  Lt. Stone  and  Inspector  Kellar  rescue them. I enjoyed  this  episode  and are a big  fan  of   this  series.

Yes, a great suspenseful episode. Ida Lupino was excellent as always. 

On 11/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, cinemaman said:

I just remembered I bookmarked a great site that has a detailed episode guide for The Streets of San Francisco.

Perhaps you've seen it?

https://thestreetsofsanfrancisco.net/episodes

• Like 1

The Man Who Never Was (1956) Based on the true story of a secret plan by the British to feed bogus information to the Germans before a 1943 attack.  Starring Clifton Webb in the unlikely role of Lt. Cmdr. Montagu who comes up with the idea to plant fake plans on the body of a dead British soldier.  The body washes up on shore and the Germans get a hold of the plans. The Germans are skeptical and send a spy to Britain to investigate if "Major Martin" ever really existed.  It's quite suspenseful and interesting how they get a body to use and then create a history for him and how those plans are tested when the spy investigates .  Gloria Grahame has a supporting role as the American roommate of Webb's secretary.  She has a scene near the end where you are holding your breath hoping she won't unwittingly give up the whole shebang to the spy.  (One sidenote about Grahame, her face is strangely shiny throughout the movie and her stiff puffy upper lip is very distracting.  More so than any other of her movies. I have read that she had so many plastic surgeries that at some point her upper lip was immobile. Maybe this was fresh after one of those surgeries? Anywho, she was still good in her small role. ) 

• Like 2
On 11/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, Peebs said:

The Man Who Never Was (1956) Based on the true story of a secret plan by the British to feed bogus information to the Germans before a 1943 attack.  Starring Clifton Webb in the unlikely role of Lt. Cmdr. Montagu who comes up with the idea to plant fake plans on the body of a dead British soldier.  The body washes up on shore and the Germans get a hold of the plans. The Germans are skeptical and send a spy to Britain to investigate if "Major Martin" ever really existed.  It's quite suspenseful and interesting how they get a body to use and then create a history for him and how those plans are tested when the spy investigates .  Gloria Grahame has a supporting role as the American roommate of Webb's secretary.  She has a scene near the end where you are holding your breath hoping she won't unwittingly give up the whole shebang to the spy.  (One sidenote about Grahame, her face is strangely shiny throughout the movie and her stiff puffy upper lip is very distracting.  More so than any other of her movies. I have read that she had so many plastic surgeries that at some point her upper lip was immobile. Maybe this was fresh after one of those surgeries? Anywho, she was still good in her small role. ) 

Love this film. Grahame is very good in it.

I read a comment that she didn't like the way her upper lip was formed. Supposedly when she was filming kissing scenes with Sterling Hayden during the making of NAKED ALIBI (1954) he discovered she put a small wad of tissue inside her upper lip. It was placed along the gum area, to ensure that part of her mouth looked sexy. Not sure how true the story is.

She had no trouble attracting men. Perhaps she was just insecure..?

• Like 1

The Crown (season 4).   Another beautifully acted, fascinating season.  This is the first season that covered history that I actually remember most notably the marriage of Charles and Diana.  Also covered this season is the strained relationship between the Queen and PM Margaret Thatcher.  

The Great British Baking Show.   The contestants, cast, and crew were quarantined and lived in a "bubble" in order to film this season.  I read that because of the restrictions, the contestants couldn't go home each week, the participants weren't perhaps at the top of the field.  There were more mistakes or sloppier finishes but it was all very endearing.  This is comfort food TV viewing.   If you're feeling stressed out, watch this show.  

Matt Lucas is a new host.  (From Bridesmaids as Rebel Wilson's brother.) He and Noel Fielding get a little silly interacting with the bakers during the challenges.  A few times I wondered if the bakers wished they'd just  go the hell away and stop distracting them.  However, several times the hosts gave the contestants a needed pat on the back or pep talk.   Everyone seems to genuinely like each other.   It's a low key show where the winner gets a fancy cake plate and a bouquet of flowers.   It inspires me to bake things although not cakes shaped like David Attenborough's head. 

• Like 2