Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

15 hours ago, shutoo said:

Well, I started watching Mank today...but I fell asleep after they got to San Simeon...maybe I'll try again tomorrow...😴

My husband gave up on it about that time, too.  I watched the whole thing.  It wasn't as good as I was hoping  based on reviews.  Certainly watchable and I like Gary Oldman.  The script was kind of clunky with a lot of name dropping (say there's Norma Shearer! George S. Kaufman!) rather than just incorporating these people into the script.  It sort of felt like a check list to get everyone in there.   David Fincher directed it based on his late father's screenplay.  I wonder if he felt too emotionally attached to make any needed adjustments to the script.   I would have liked more about Mank's relationship with Welles.  They touch on it a little when Mank wants credit after first agreeing to let Welles receive full credit.  They both ended up winning the only Oscar Citizen Kane received.  

• Thanks 1

Mank sounds like an interesting movie; however, I don't have any streaming services.  On a side note, when the pandemic allows people to return to theaters, I would like to see those houses flourishing again (even though, with my disability, they are hard to navigate).  Seeing productions/movies/etc. with an audience is something that can't be replaced.  I remember seeing China Syndrome right after Three Mile Island - my friend and I went to one of the larger NYC theaters.  The reaction of the audience helped my enjoyment of the film.

3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Mank sounds like an interesting movie; however, I don't have any streaming services.  On a side note, when the pandemic allows people to return to theaters, I would like to see those houses flourishing again (even though, with my disability, they are hard to navigate).  Seeing productions/movies/etc. with an audience is something that can't be replaced.  I remember seeing China Syndrome right after Three Mile Island - my friend and I went to one of the larger NYC theaters.  The reaction of the audience helped my enjoyment of the film.

I miss going to the movies, too!  (Netflix offers a 30 day free trial, if that's any help.  Honestly, there's not more than 30 days worth of programming.  We have a few shows we like and then we cancel until those shows come back.)

6 hours ago, Peebs said:

My husband gave up on it about that time, too.  I watched the whole thing.  It wasn't as good as I was hoping  based on reviews.  Certainly watchable and I like Gary Oldman.  The script was kind of clunky with a lot of name dropping (say there's Norma Shearer! George S. Kaufman!) rather than just incorporating these people into the script.  It sort of felt like a check list to get everyone in there.   David Fincher directed it based on his late father's screenplay.  I wonder if he felt too emotionally attached to make any needed adjustments to the script.   I would have liked more about Mank's relationship with Welles.  They touch on it a little when Mank wants credit after first agreeing to let Welles receive full credit.  They both ended up winning the only Oscar Citizen Kane received.  

oh I didn't dislike it...I've just gotten into bad sleep habits...which leads to very long naps.  From what I've read of Welles, he didn't have particularly good relations with many people..big ego; but the film relies a little too heavily on the theory from Pauline Kael that Mank really wrote the whole thing, but the original script was changed a lot for the film, which sort of proves Welles re-worked  it, so they probably both deserve the credit they got. 

5 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I cancelled netflix about 3 years ago, watched this (and lots of other stuff) using apps like Cinema HD.  I hate to be a downer, but I doubt things will go back to the way they were as far as theaters.  Warner has already said they may start skipping theaters, go straight to stream, and that really does seem to be the wave of the future.  I know I've become lazily spoiled by being able to watch whatever I want by pushing some buttons, but I get what you mean by the 'theatre experience'.

• Thanks 1

The Silent Partner (1978) starring Elliot Gould, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York and in a very small role John Candy.  It aired on TCM as part of their Underground Friday night movies.  I've never even heard of it but recorded it for the cast and Christmas theme.   Gould and York work in a bank in a Canadian shopping mall.  Plummer poses as a Salvation Army Santa Clause casing the bank.  He robs it in his Santa suit, Gould is the teller who hands over the dough.  York isn't given much to do, her character is having an affair with the married bank manager.  She thinks Gould is a bore who spends his extra money on exotic fish for his aquarium.   As the movie progresses she (and the audience) realize that there's more to Gould's character.  There is a clever twist which I won't spoil if anyone recorded it.  Plummer is a psychopath who stalks Gould after the robbery.    At one point there's a truly gruesome decapitation scene .  Maybe not a great movie but very watchable and the plot turns kept you guessing.  

On 12/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, Peebs said:

The Silent Partner (1978) starring Elliot Gould, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York and in a very small role John Candy.  It aired on TCM as part of their Underground Friday night movies.  I've never even heard of it but recorded it for the cast and Christmas theme.   Gould and York work in a bank in a Canadian shopping mall.  Plummer poses as a Salvation Army Santa Clause casing the bank.  He robs it in his Santa suit, Gould is the teller who hands over the dough.  York isn't given much to do, her character is having an affair with the married bank manager.  She thinks Gould is a bore who spends his extra money on exotic fish for his aquarium.   As the movie progresses she (and the audience) realize that there's more to Gould's character.  There is a clever twist which I won't spoil if anyone recorded it.  Plummer is a psychopath who stalks Gould after the robbery.    At one point there's a truly gruesome decapitation scene .  Maybe not a great movie but very watchable and the plot turns kept you guessing.  

I am sorry to say I missed it. Sounds interesting. Something I'd probably enjoy.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:53 PM, Iris10 said:

COME TO THE STABLE, with Loretta Young and Celeste Holme

I love this film.

• Like 1

Right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying  IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE!    It was a favourite of my mom and dad, because he briefly taught School in a small rural town in upstate New York.  The Farmers and their Families were VERY Thrifty,  and Dad got an Equally Thrifty Salary for teaching Math, Chemistry and PHYS-ED.  

He was also the YOUNGER Son....named HARRY!

When we went to see Newport,  in the late 1960s, it no longer exsisted.  Apparently it started during WWII, when the men were  in the Service, and their Wives moved into Cities and Defense  Plants.   😞

• 2 weeks later...

Soul (2020) streaming on Disney

Soul came out on Christmas day and unlike Mulan, Disney did not charge extra to watch this new movie.  I can see why, it doesn't really have a clear target audience.   It reminded me of Inside Out (2015) with a little Heaven Can Wait sprinkled in.   Jamie Foxx voices the main character, Joe, a frustrated jazz musician who works as a part-time middle school band teacher.  He gets offered to be a full -time teacher but accepting the offer would mean that he has given up on ever making a living as a jazz musician.  He then gets a call from a former student to fill in as a pianist for a well regarded jazz combo.  Joe is elated thinking this is his chance to make it as a working musician.  On the way home he falls into a open manhole and dies.  We next see him as a soul on a giant conveyor belt.  He's not ready to go and tries to escape, ending up in another section where he becomes a mentor to a troubled baby soul , voiced by Tina Fey.  Trying to get back to his body in time for the jazz combo performance he and "22" (Fey) escape the other world.  Unfortunately, Fey goes into his body at the hospital and Joe goes into a therapy cat.  This was by far the favorite part of the movie for the younger set watching with me.  Long story short, Joe learns to be a better human and 22 is ready to graduate from troubled baby soul to a well-rounded soul, learning about herself and loving life.  

The animation is lovely, there's lots of jazz, and some creepy lost soul creatures and weird line drawing people in the afterlife that I think might disturb younger kids.  The whole theme seems more geared toward adults.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember My Name (1978) starring Geraldine Chaplin and Anthony Perkins with a very young Jeff Goldblum and Alfre Woodard. Chaplin is fresh out of jail and moves to town to begin her new life.  She also begins to stalk construction worker Perkins and his young wife (Berry Berenson). Chaplin 's behavior becomes increasingly erratic eventually breaking into Perkins' home threatening his wife and later assaulting a co-worker.  Chaplin was Perkins' first wife,  which is news his current one.  Chaplin and Perkins soon fall into bed, ruining his marriage, he also loses his job and home.  Produced by Robert Altman you can certainly see his influence.  The story ends how you think it's going to, Chaplin set out to destroy Perkins and the last scene is her leaving town.  Chaplin is quite creepy.  She and Perkins are an odd pair, sort of two sides of the same coin. There is a sad side story with Moses Gunn as a super for her building who begins to care for Chaplin but inadvertently gets hurt in her plan to destroy Perkins. Interesting but ultimately unsatisfying watch.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Remember My Name (1978) starring Geraldine Chaplin and Anthony Perkins with a very young Jeff Goldblum and Alfre Woodard..  Chaplin is fresh out of jail and moves to town to begin her new life.. She also begins to stalk construction worker Perkins and his young wife (Berry Berenson). Chaplin 's behavior becomes increasingly erratic eventually breaking into Perkins' home threatening his wife and later assaulting a co-worker.  Chaplin was Perkins' first wife,  which is news his current one.  Chaplin and Perkins soon fall into bed, ruining his marriage, he also loses his job and home.  Produced by Robert Altman you can certainly see his influence.  The story ends how you think it's going to, Chaplin set out to destroy Perkins and the last scene is her leaving town.  Chaplin is quite creepy.  She and Perkins are an odd pair, sort of two sides of the same coin. There is a sad side story with Moses Gunn as a super for her building who begins to care for Chaplin but inadvertently gets hurt in her plan to destroy Perkins. Interesting but ultimately unsatisfying watch.  

Sounds quite interesting. I have never seen it. I love Altman and the cast is exceptional.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Sounds quite interesting. I have never seen it. I love Altman and the cast is exceptional.

I hadn't heard of it either but recorded it off of TCM for the cast.  Weird little movie that I was glad I found  but don't think I'll ever watch again.  I love discovering movies on TCM that I've never seen before.

• Like 1
On 1/17/2021 at 4:34 PM, Peebs said:

I hadn't heard of it either but recorded it off of TCM for the cast.  Weird little movie that I was glad I found  but don't think I'll ever watch again.  I love discovering movies on TCM that I've never seen before.

Yeah, so do I. Films that didn't have much of an audience (and probably still don't).

• Like 1

Chaplain played a good sociopath.  The one hitch i couldn't seem to figure out were the references to a earthquake going on ...TV newsclips while Perkins and wife were zoning out on the couch

• Like 1
On 1/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, TopBilled said:

Didn't TCM broadcast it recently?  I didn't see it; and I love ROBERT ALTMAN films too.  Remember My Name (1978)

• Like 1