Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

7 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

A favorite Columbo episode, "Forgotten Lady" with Janet Leigh, John Payne, Maurice Evans, and Sam Jaffe as the victim. From 1975. 

img_2365.jpg?resize=513,384&ssl=1

As you probably know, this episode features footage from Janet Leigh's musical WALKING MY BABY BACK HOME (1953) which I think her character refers to as WALKING MY BABY. Interestingly, Leigh had been a contract player at MGM-- a studio known for musicals-- but MGM never put her into a musical. She only did musicals on loan out: TWO TICKETS TO BROADWAY (1951) at RKO; and WALKING MY BABY BACK HOME (1953) at Universal.

Because Columbo was made by Universal, the writers of this episode were able to include scenes from WALKING MY BABY BACK HOME.

They didn't include scenes of John Payne from any classic musical he made, even though he was certainly a musical star...because his films in the genre were at 20th Century Fox not Universal plus he never made a movie with Janet Leigh.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Because Columbo was made by Universal, the writers of this episode were able to include scenes from WALKING MY BABY BACK HOME.

I didn't think about the convenience of rights ownership but all that makes sense. They also referred to One Touch of Venus as the title of the revival Janet's character is eager to mount, another Universal picture. They sang "Speak Low" in a party scene that itself referred to the old backstage musical movies. 

I wonder. Since Ava played Venus in the old movie, if they asked her before Janet? I love Janet of course and she was excellent, but Ava would have been a fun crazy old lady. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I didn't think about the convenience of rights ownership but all that makes sense. They also referred to One Touch of Venus as the title of the revival Janet's character is eager to mount, another Universal picture. They sang "Speak Low" in a party scene that itself referred to the old backstage musical movies. 

I wonder. Since Ava played Venus in the old movie, if they asked her before Janet? I love Janet of course and she was excellent, but Ava would have been a fun crazy old lady. 

It's possible that Janet Leigh was not the first choice. If Janet had not done this one musical for Universal, I guess they could have used one of her other films at Universal. For instance, she was in the comedy THE PERFECT FURLOUGH (1958) with ex-husband Tony Curtis.

If they had used a comedy and not a musical for the classic movie clips, then they probably would not have cast John Payne as her costar since he was known for musicals, noir and action adventures not comedies. They could have brought in a popular comedian that was still living and working in 1975. For instance, Keenan Wynn was still working and he had a supporting role in THE PERFECT FURLOUGH. Not sure if they would have hired Tony Curtis (even though he was a former Universal contract player), since he and Janet Leigh did not have a friendly divorce.

Anyway, it's nice to see Janet in this particular episode and it's nice to see the clips incorporated into the story.

• Like 1

I saw Lana Turner in Keep Your Powder Dry last night. I am glad I liked it since other recent Turner movies I had seen lately were not as appealing to me. I liked her participation in a movie during WWII that seemed to show her sense of patriotism. Of course, she was great in The Postman Always Rings Twice. I have seen segments of that lately and when I think of Lana Turner, I think of that movie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KidChaplin said:

Currently watching "The Rifleman" and "Little House on the Prairie" on Prime Video. "Rifleman" at lunch and "Little House" before bed. 

Nice!

Last night, wife and I watched a western called "Forsaken" starring Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland and Demi Moore. Excellent, excellent movie! Father/son in church was a very moving moment and a husband/former flame confrontation was electric! Donald and Kiefer paired as a father and son in the movie was brilliant casting! Brian Cox was great too. A real d*ck!

If you can see it, do it! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, KidChaplin said:

Last night, wife and I watched a western called "Forsaken" starring Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland and Demi Moore. Excellent, excellent movie! Father/son in church was a very moving moment and a husband/former flame confrontation was electric! Donald and Kiefer paired as a father and son in the movie was brilliant casting! Brian Cox was great too. A real d*ck!

If you can see it, do it! 

Never heard of it. Seems like something I'd enjoy!

Watching   four  episodes  of  The  Streets  Of  San  Francisco  from  season  two. The  episodes  are  Inferno,  The  Hard  Breed,  Rampage  and  Death and the Favored  Few. I enjoyed  the  episodes and  I'm  fan  of  the series.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Watching   four  episodes  of  The  Streets  Of  San  Francisco  from  season  two. The  episodes  are  Inferno,  The  Hard  Breed,  Rampage  and  Death and the Favored  Few. I enjoyed  the  episodes and  I'm  fan  of  the series.

Excellent episodes!

Inferno-- with Barry Sullivan & Glenn Corbett. I gave it a 9 on the IMDb.

The Hard Breed-- with Noah Beery Jr., Sam Elliott, Jim Davis & Harry Carey Jr. I gave it a 10. Elliott is at his physical peak in this one. Jim Davis is one of TV's most dependable character actors from this period and so is Noah Beery Jr. At first I didn't think I would like this offering since it takes place mostly outside the city and there aren't many precinct scenes. But it's well written and acted.

Rampage-- with Robert Hooks, Joe Santos, Jerry Douglas & Ron Glass. I gave this one a 10.

Death and the Favored Few-- with Rosemary Murphy, Leslie Charleson & Judy Lewis (daughter of Loretta Young & Clark Gable). I gave it a 9.

I was in the mood for My Sister Eileen, but found a Rosalind Russell film I'd never seen, or even heard of...This Thing Called Love.  And with Melvyn Douglas to boot!  The plot is so-so, but good cast (Allyn Joslyn, Binnie Barnes, Lee J. Cobb...) and an interesting rustic/stone house that evidently made such an impression on Ronald Reagan, he used it as a model for his own home.  Worth watching just for Russell and Douglas..I love finding new/old films with actors I like.    

This Thing Called Love (1940 film) - Wikipedia

• Like 3
On 2/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, TopBilled said:

Anyway, it's nice to see Janet in this particular episode and it's nice to see the clips incorporated into the story.

I often look at Columbo reruns on METV and watched this episode (again) in the last week or so.  JANET LEIGH's character is ... sad.   Wonderful guest stars are often on that show!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shutoo said:

I was in the mood for My Sister Eileen, but found a Rosalind Russell film I'd never seen, or even heard of...This Thing Called Love.  And with Melvyn Douglas to boot!  The plot is so-so, but good cast (Allyn Joslyn, Binnie Barnes, Lee J. Cobb...) and an interesting rustic/stone house that evidently made such an impression on Ronald Reagan, he used it as a model for his own home.  Worth watching just for Russell and Douglas..I love finding new/old films with actors I like.    

This Thing Called Love (1940 film) - Wikipedia

Another good Columbia rom-com with Roz Russell is WHAT A WOMAN! (1943).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_a_Woman!

Have you seen it?

It re-teams her with Brian Aherne, with whom she worked so well in HIRED WIFE (1940), MY SISTER EILEEN (1942) and ROSIE! (1967).

28 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Just saw him in a terrific episode of The Twilight Zone.  He is always a pleasure. 

Yes. Joan Fontaine was dumb to divorce him. What an intriguing man he was.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Have you seen it?

yeah, and the others as well.  The only one left that I haven't seen (that there's a good stream of) is It Had to Happen..crime drama with George Raft..just not in that mood today, but I'll get around to it.

I just finished Honor Among Lovers..Claudette Colbert, Fredric March, Charles Ruggles and a small bit for Ginger Rogers.  Dorothy Arzner directed..pretty good, especially Colbert.  Monroe Owsley overplays role of her whiny hubby, and Rogers is a scatter brain girlfriend of Ruggles, who's perfect as the nonchalant, idle rich pal.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes. Joan Fontaine was dumb to divorce him. What an intriguing man he was.

Though I am not a GRACE KELLY adherent, I very much like a film called THE SWAN (1956) primarily because of BRIAN AHERNE,   He projects class. 

• Like 1