Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I  watched  an  very  good  episode  of  Marcus  Welby  M.D.  It  called  Epidemic  from  season  two of  Marcus  Welby.  Michele Lee  and  Jeanette  Nolan  are  very good  in their roles in this  episode.  Marcus  Welby  (  Robert  Young)  gets  sick  with the  flu  bug  in this  episode.  Consuelo  Lopez  (  Elena  Verdugo )  and  Steven  Kiley  (  James  Brolin)  are  having  to do  double  duty  to  protect  people  from  the  flu  bug.. The episode was  an  preview  of  the  Covid   situation..

• Like 1

I'm watching the 1930 version of Tom Sawyer. I was curious because it was a big hit in its day, and has seemed to disappear from the face of the earth. It is really nothing to write home about 91 years later, but from the 1930 viewer's point of view, I can see why they would be taken with it. The acting is so natural compared to other films of that year. There is none of that odd very early talkie style about it, where the actors make exaggerated melodramatic movements like the audience still cannot hear them. 

• Like 1

Getting Straight (1970) starting  Elliot Could and Candace Bergen with Cecil Kellaway and Harrison Ford in a small role.  Gould, sporting an impressive moustache, is a Vietnam vet and former radical who is working on his teaching degree. He's broke, his car died, he's stressed out with tests and classes.  The younger students look up to him and want him to join their fight but Gould is burned out. Bergen plays his girlfriend whom he belittles as being too conventional, wanting to get married.  Very reflective of its time with campus riots, students clashing with police and national guard.  

Getting Straight - Wikipedia

• Like 2

Okay I found a "new" (new for me) crime show that I hadn't seen before. It's on Britbox and is from the mid-2000s.

It's called The Inspector Lynley Mysteries and I just love it. I am surprised I never caught any of the episodes on PBS back in the day. This weekend I watched all six episodes from season 1, and some of them were superb. Even the slightly weaker episodes are still excellent.

I am now starting the first episode of season 2.

BODYGUARD  a thriller from England, excellent. Some of the most compellingly suspenseful scenes I have ever seen. The first 20 minutes is harrowing, e.g., and more.  Otherwise, absolutely riveting throughout.

A miniseries of moderate length. Netflix

On 9/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, JamesJazGuitar said:

I watched the 1948 version last night;

Bodyguard (1948) Shocker! Lawrence Tierney A Goodie And No Sign Of Whitney  Or Kevin! – Wolfmans Cult Film

I laugh 'cause surely you suspected that it would not be the same story. Right?

I looked it up and I seem to recall a similar type story or at least beginning. Dan Duryea gets fired from the force and becomes bodyguard for some rich lady, or something? Do you recall?

CLICKBAIT, a miniseries of moderate length. Starts out fine but with a weak ending IMO, but not a reason to not watch. Each episode is from the POV of a different character. But it is not RASHOMON. There is no fixation on various takes on the same event. Rather, the narrative flow stays intact and it is as if each character hands over the POV to another character as the story rolls on. Interesting. There is a plucky gal with a blonde cleo cut played by Zoe Kazan who is a compelling presence throughout.

Netflix

BORGEN ; A political drama set in Denmark (subtitles) sometime after 9-11, no idea if it claims historical accuracy or not. A course in political dancing and maneuvering, quid pro quo, etc. Intelligent, talky, no graphic unpleasantness. Rapid dialogue, I have to sometimes ride the Pause button to read the subtitles, but it's worth it.

netlfix

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ColonelLudlow said:

Rage, from George C. Scott night.

You know, I've never been able to understand why TCM will not air one of my favourite George C. Scott movies: Islands In The Stream.  Anybody know why? Is it too dark? Or, is it that bad?

Islands in  The Stream is a Paramount film released in 1977 and thus,  TCM would have to go-out-of-their way to lease film.    (such a film isn't part of the Ted Turner library of films that is now owned by TCM's parent Time-Warner).

Thought I'd update my binge-watching of The Inspector Lynley Mysteries on Britbox. 

94D7C00F-E760-4BD9-8AC9-985168008B50_1_201_a

I finished season 2 which I found to be very good. I rated almost every episode a "10" on the IMDb. I really loved the one called "Deception on His Mind." 

Last night I started watching season 3. The first two episodes are based on books by Elizabeth George, just like all the episodes in seasons 1 & 2 were. However, Ms. George didn't turn out these books quickly enough so halfway through season 3, the producers and script writers started coming up with their own stories. So I am wondering if the quality will still be as good, even if they keep George's characters sharply focused.

By the way she is still writing books where Inspector Lynley is solving crimes. The latest one was in 2018 and she has a new one due out in January 2022. I find it interesting that she was born in Ohio and grew up in California. Yet here she is writing these very British mysteries. She is without a doubt on par with Agatha Christie. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_George

I have BritBox now so I'll try it.

I have seen Doc Martin all episodes but I want to see again. Originally I saw them on Netflix Discs but I cancelled that.  I really love the show. I don't like this thing about paying good damn money only to be able to stream. I am contemplating buying the Complete Series 1-9 for $56 on eBay. It would cost a ghastly amount if you "bought" on AmazonPrime. At least for $56 I've got the DVDs safely in eager hands. What a racket, selling streaming. Bah! I'll have none of it. What a racket! The way they squeeze you for money. So if you spend a fortune on Amazon Prime for stuff then you're locked in. If you cancel Amazon then you lose your purchases?

Rant, rant, rant ... :lol:

I miss Louisa.

Caroline Catz is a treasure!

• Haha 1
On 9/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, ColonelLudlow said:

Rage, from George C. Scott night.

You know, I've never been able to understand why TCM will not air one of my favourite George C. Scott movies: Islands In The Stream.  Anybody know why? Is it too dark? Or, is it that bad?

On 9/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, JamesJazGuitar said:

Islands in  The Stream is a Paramount film released in 1977 and thus,  TCM would have to go-out-of-their way to lease film.    (such a film isn't part of the Ted Turner library of films that is now owned by TCM's parent Time-Warner).

That's too bad. Should be standard reading/viewing for divorcing dads.

Catching up on yesterday's episode of Emmerdale. I love watching Claire King play the show's most famous character, Kim Tate. She is incredibly entertaining.

Sins of the mother: husband killer Kim and her morally-challenged son Jamie.

She runs home farm, she runs the lives of all those who live in Emmerdale. But Jamie is now taking a page out of her book and may outfox her. This is classic soap drama everyday. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 9.48.20 AM

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching a lot of "What's My Line?", "I've Got a Secret," and "The Name's the Same" recently. 1950's-60's gameshows are definitely a guilty pleasure and a bit of an addiction of mine. I love them so much and I don't know why. Every time I think I get over my addiction to them, I rediscover them and then watch them for hours on end. Thank you, YouTube!

On 9/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, laffite said:

I have BritBox now

Two days ago they added a digitally restored copy of the classic 1981 miniseries BRIDESHEAD REVISITED. There are eleven episodes and I have watched the first one and the second one. Superb.

I am also still watching The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. I have finished season 4. So I only have season 5 and season 6 left. The quality has dipped a bit since they stopped adapting the books and are coming up with original storylines. But I am enjoying it and the acting is very good.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, TopBilled said:

Catching up on yesterday's episode of Emmerdale.

How do you go back and start from there? You mention E often and my curiosity is piqued but I don't want take it up now. I would like to go back to I think is 2012, where an actor named Ray Coulthard began. I have only seen a miniseries he was in (2004) but I think I like him, if I had his looks I could have any woman I want, ha, or so I think. But is there a way to start with episodes from the past. I have BritBox via Amazon Prime.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Two days ago they added a digitally restored copy of the classic 1981 miniseries BRIDESHEAD REVISITED.

I had trouble with this and I won't go into detail. I just want to mention that I regard the finale as a show in itself and revisit it from time to time due to the performance of Lawrence Olivier. He appears in just two episodes and I don't remember the earlier one. He is the master of the estate but lives in Italy. Olivier is really good in this. Stephane Audran appears as his wife in that final episode and doesn't say much but but she is nice to look at (for her screen presence I mean, though she is a handsome lady, not doubt about that). We get furtive looks from her which serve as silent commentary on the behavior of here husband but they are endearing ones.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

The quality has dipped a bit since they stopped adapting the books and are coming up with original storylines

This almost always fails. Although my interest was sustained until the long awaited and bitter end of Game of Thrones, a similar thing happened there, IMO.  They ran out of book and starting making up their own story. They got permission from the author to do this. The author was still writing and I don't think he has finished yet. But the book and miniseries part ways about halfway through the story.

9 hours ago, laffite said:

How do you go back and start from there? You mention E often and my curiosity is piqued but I don't want take it up now. I would like to go back to I think is 2012, where an actor named Ray Coulthard began. I have only seen a miniseries he was in (2004) but I think I like him, if I had his looks I could have any woman I want, ha, or so I think. But is there a way to start with episodes from the past. I have BritBox via Amazon Prime.

I had trouble with this and I won't go into detail. I just want to mention that I regard the finale as a show in itself and revisit it from time to time due to the performance of Lawrence Olivier. He appears in just two episodes and I don't remember the earlier one. He is the master of the estate but lives in Italy. Olivier is really good in this. Stephane Audran appears as his wife in that final episode and doesn't say much but but she is nice to look at (for her screen presence I mean, though she is a handsome lady, not doubt about that). We get furtive looks from her which serve as silent commentary on the behavior of here husband but they are endearing ones.

This almost always fails. Although my interest was sustained until the long awaited and bitter end of Game of Thrones, a similar thing happened there, IMO.  They ran out of book and starting making up their own story. They got permission from the author to do this. The author was still writing and I don't think he has finished yet. But the book and miniseries part ways about halfway through the story.

I think only episodes of Emmerdale from the mid-to-late 90s are available...the classic Kim Tate years. They're on Amazon Prime.

As for BRIDESHEAD, Olivier is in the second episode which I watched this morning...where the lads go to Venice on summer vacation and Sebastian introduces Charles to his father (played by Olivier). The mother hasn't appeared, just the mistress Cara.

I've never seen Game of Thrones but yeah, when they get away from the original source material, the shows tend to suffer. I rated every episode from season 1-3 of Inspector Lynley a 10 but season 4, nothing was higher than an 8. Still good of course but a decline in quality. The show has gone from perfection to above average.

Started watching the History channel's 2019 series The Food That Built America...really interesting.  Good narration and reenactments ..I'm learning a lot I'll never need to know (first assembly line, all electric factory?  Not Ford..Heinz; how the Pemberton's got conned out of Coke, how Post stole Kellogg's recipes)...fun stuff.

• Like 2