Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

FredCDobbs

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, TB!  Interesting, I hadn't thought about this as the launching pad for a movie series with the younger pilots.  Maybe you're right with the movie doing so well.  It didn't feel like that though,  more like a one time movie event but you never know.  There was also a preview for another long delayed Cruise movie,  the next Mission Impossible.   It's coming out next summer. It looks like a fun popcorn movie, too especially compared to some of the other previews before Maverick:  The CGI heavy umpteenth Thor sequel and the Brad Pitt action borefest Bullet Train.  Pitt, who is only a year younger than Cruise,  is trying so hard to look young and relevant that it ages him, at least from those clips.

I wonder how long Cruise will continue to work on these intense, stunt heavy movies.  Will he eventually go back to smaller roles?

My guess is he will do some smaller movies, like MAGNOLIA in which he was Oscar nominated for a supporting role...because he would probably like to receive a competitive Oscar not a lifetime achievement Oscar. And  the smaller films (indy films) sometimes offer better character-driven parts that get kudos with voters.

• Like 1

A Burke's Law episode "Who Killed Carrie Cornell?" from 1964 on MeTV+ . I'm not sure I've ever seen a full episode before. Lots of familiar faces in this one, including series regular Gary Conway before "Land of the Giants," and guests Jim Backus, Fernando Lamas, Michael Ansarra, and William Shatner. Also a face I did not recognize, Diana Lynn. 

35400907683_c7250439de_o.jpg

Good show.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Offer, a mini-series about the making of The Godfather.  On Paramount.  It's based on Albert Ruddy's experiences as the film's producer.  I knew a little of the movie's history, things like the studio initially didn't want Brando and Pacino or that the film never uses the word "mafia."  I was surprised to learn how much more involved the mob was during the production. 

You don't have to be a Godfather fanatic to enjoy The Offer.   It's a very entertaining glimpse behind the scenes of late '60's early 70's Hollywood.  Matthew Goode does a skillful take on Robert Evans.  He's tan, aging-handsome complete with the oversized glasses and distinctive, slightly congested sounding voice.   He never lapses into parody and conveys the charm and persuasiveness of Evans that made him so good at his job.  Another stand out is Burn Gorman as Charles Bluhorn.  He was the owner of Gulf+Western which bought Paramount Pictures in 1966.  Bluhorn wants Paramount to make money but also seems to love movies.  He trusts the vision of the artists to make a good picture even if it costs a little more.  A better picture is also a better investment.  

Miles Teller plays Al Ruddy the producer who has to put out a lot of fires to get the movie made.  Juno Temple plays Bettye McCartt, his plucky secretary and assistant.  Ruddy won the Oscar for The Godfather but declined to work on the sequel.  He later won an Oscar for producing Million Dollar Baby (2003).

(You can get your first month of Paramount for free.)

Matthew Goode Reveals His Favorite Line From The Offer

Licorice Pizza (2021) directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, starring Cooper Hoffman (son of Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and Alana Haim. 

There's not much of a story here.  Hoffman is a 15-year-old actor/entrepreneur who never seems to go to school except in the first scene.  He meets 25-year-old Haim who is assisting the photographer taking ID pictures at Hoffman's high school.   He likes her, she rejects him but soon they are partners selling waterbeds.  They deliver a waterbed to a psychotic Jon Peters; later Haim meets middle aged actor Jack Holden (Sean Penn).  Clearly a stand-in for William Holden.  Christine Ebersole plays Lucy Doolittle who is obviously an older Lucille Ball.  These are all brief cameos.  Haim seems rather aimless drifting from one job to another. (Kind of like this movie.)  She's delaying adulthood by hanging around with Hoffman and his friends.  The two main kids run a lot, hang out, get into fights, he makes her jealous with an age-appropriate teenaged girl, she volunteers at the campaign headquarters of a local politician which leads to some scenes reminiscent of Taxi Driver.  Hoffman opens a pinball arcade.  The two seem to get together at the end. Not a terrible movie but it felt like there should have been more to it.   Add this to Phantom Thread, Inherent Vice and The Master as movies of PTA that I never need to see again.  (I do like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and There Will Be Blood, however.)  Meh.

21 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Licorice Pizza (2021) directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, starring Cooper Hoffman (son of Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and Alana Haim. 

Not a terrible movie but it felt like there should have been more to it.   Add this to Phantom Thread, Inherent Vice and The Master as movies of PTA that I never need to see again.  (I do like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and There Will Be Blood, however.)  Meh.

I heard such good things about this from people I trust on what movies are worthwhile. I do enjoy roman a clef stuff, oblique references, so I planned to see this but life happened. Sorry your didn't enjoy it as much as others I heard from did.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I heard such good things about this from people I trust on what movies are worthwhile. I do enjoy roman a clef stuff, oblique references, so I planned to see this but life happened. Sorry your didn't enjoy it as much as others I heard from did.

I was looking forward to it, too.  I enjoy character studies but I don't know, I just wasn't that interested in the characters. It's certainly not a bad movie.  It all felt superficial, though. Like looking at old Polaroids from someone else's childhood.  It has great meaning to them but not so much for you. 

When you see it, I hope you post a review.  Maybe you'll have a different take.  

• Like 1

Watching the Twilight Zone binge on Decades. For the past few hours they've run the longer episodes from season 4.

Up next will be "On Thursday We Leave For Home" with James  Whitmore. 

I've never seen it that I can recall but one TZ blogger I read rates it the best of the hour-long episodes.

PS - Well now that I've seen it, it wasn't all that great. I thought for a minute Whitmore was going to go full Jim Jones. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I love this episode! 

Most people remember it as Rob opening the door, then Laura and the walnuts spilling out of the closet. There are actually two cuts after he opens the door and falls down. First a shot of Rob on the floor staring into the off-camera closet, then Laura sliding out over the walnuts. Very well done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Most people remember it as Rob opening the door, then Laura and the walnuts spilling out of the closet. There are actually two cuts after he opens the door and falls down. First a shot of Rob on the floor staring into the off-camera closet, then Laura sliding out over the walnuts. Very well done

Oh that's right! I had forgotten about that first shot of Rob.

She's so darn cute, even with an extra pair of eyes and no thumbs.  ;)

4 hours ago, Peebs said:

Oh that's right! I had forgotten about that first shot of Rob.

She's so darn cute, even with an extra pair of eyes and no thumbs.  ;)

Laura's cute level is almost unbearable. 

• Like 1

Edit: Woops! Wrong thread. But I am watching this now!

The guitar playing world, classical and popular, is suddenly awash with young, attractive female players the last few years. I just discovered this one on my "recommended for you" list.

From Belgium, Ghalia Volt, a one-woman act.

Succession, seasons 1-3.  I've heard a lot about this HBO show, with 48 Emmy nominations and 9 wins.  Starring Brian Cox as Logan Roy ,a patriarch of a conservative news empire, clearly inspired by Rupert Murdoch and Fox news. The focus of the show is who  will succeed Logan as the head of the company and how does a company that owns a cable news channel and newspapers stay relevant and viable.  There is not a clear heir apparent among his four damaged adult children, all vying for Daddy's attention. Jeremy Strong gets a lot of screen time as the second oldest son, Kendall who struggles with drug addiction, insecurity and repeated challenges to his father's leadership of the empire.  I read a profile about Strong in the New Yorker that talks about how intensely he immerses himself in the role.  Cox is quoted as being concerned about the toll Strong's method is taking on the actor.   

One remarkable thing about the show is how uniformly unlikable the characters are. You're not really rooting for anyone. The show is well done, if a bit repetitive with the latest business deal or take-over.  It had a clever cliffhanger at the end of season 3 that may shake things up.  I can't imagine they can go on much longer, eventually someone has to "win" otherwise the show is covering the same ground.  Worth a look but may not be for everyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peebs said:

There is not a clear heir apparent among his four damaged adult children, all vying for Daddy's attention. Jeremy Strong gets a lot of screen time as the second oldest son, Kendall who struggles with drug addiction, insecurity and repeated challenges to his father's leadership of the empire.  

Sounds like The Lion in Winter reset to modern day. I recently acquired access to HBO+. I might look for it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Sounds like The Lion in Winter reset to modern day. I recently acquired access to HBO+. I might look for it. 

Yes, exactly!  I assume Logan Roy's name was influenced by the French roi meaning king.  As the show goes on the audience is left to wonder if any of his kids are capable of taking over or if the father already knows this and is humoring them because they have a stake in the company.  There are times you can see him favoring certain kids but then they do something so frustrating you can see the father mentally checking that kid off the list. 

For anyone who doesn't have HBO check out your local library, that's where we got copies of Succession.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:20 AM, LuckyDan said:

The exceptionally enchanting Miss Julie Newmar in "My Living Doll" streaming on Tubi.

Julie Newmar was stunning. 

I am not familiar with this show.  According to wiki, "The series starred Bob Cummings as Dr. Bob McDonald, a psychiatrist who is given care of Rhoda Miller, a lifelike android (played by Julie Newmar) in the form of a sexy, Amazonian female, by her creator, a scientist who did not want her to fall into the hands of the military....Bob's initial goal is to teach Rhoda how to be a perfect woman, which he defines as one who 'does what she's told" and "doesn't talk back.' He also strives to keep her identity secret."   It reminds me a little of I Dream of Jeannie.

It only lasted 26 episodes.  Apparently the two stars did not get along. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peebs said:

Julie Newmar was stunning. 

It only lasted 26 episodes.  Apparently the two stars did not get along.

I haven't read wiki about it but I read years ago that Cummings walked off the show because he didn't like the scripts. I can't imagine not getting along with Julie. I've heard no one say she was in any way difficult.

One flaw in the show, to my mind, is that we have a charming, expressive, vivacious leading lady and her job is to act like a robot. She does it well! She has many funny moments, but it seems a waste. I'm sure her character would have developed had the show continued.

Julie was in another short-lived comedy around that time. I can't remember the title but I recall a shot of her in tight jeans and laying on a bed doing a one-legged slow kick, straight up. She was a dancer and quite limber. 

• Like 1