Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I watched two very different but equally wonderful classic films tonight. One was PHANTOM OF THE OPERA from 1943, with Claude Rains as the Phantom. So good! He really went to town with that role.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-25%2Bat%2B8.40.5

And the other was MOLLY, with Gertrude Berg-- based on the hit radio and TV series The Goldbergs. I didn't know they had done a movie version of it in the early 50s. What a treat to find it online. My mother's mother who was Jewish, was a lot like the Molly character-- so it was interesting for me to sit back and let the movie play-- rather nostalgic and quite funny. How come American life changed so much since the 50s? I blame technology.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-25%2Bat%2B8.40.3

• Like 2

I watched two very different but equally wonderful classic films tonight. One was PHANTOM OF THE OPERA from 1943, with Claude Rains as the Phantom. So good! He really went to town with that role.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-25%2Bat%2B8.40.5

And the other was MOLLY, with Gertrude Berg-- based on the hit radio and TV series The Goldbergs. I didn't know they had done a movie version of it in the early 50s. What a treat to find it online. My mother's mother who was Jewish, was a lot like the Molly character-- so it was interesting for me to sit back and let the movie play-- rather nostalgic and quite funny. How come American life changed so much since the 50s? I blame technology.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-25%2Bat%2B8.40.3

I adore Claude Rains in The Phantom of the Opera.

Roger Ebert complained that this version of the movie started the end of the phantom really being the  scary monster he was.

From then on The Phantom was romantic and you feel compassion.

I don't mind at all..

:wub:

• Like 1

I adore Claude Rains in The Phantom of the Opera.

Roger Ebert complained that this version of the movie started the end of the phantom really being the  scary monster he was.

From then on The Phantom was romantic and you feel compassion.

I don't mind at all.

I don't mind either. It gives the character more human dimension. 

An interesting thing I read-- when Universal was planning the sound version, director Henry Koster (who was replaced by Arthur Lubin) was going to revise the relationship between the Phantom and Christine, suggesting she was his daughter. Of course, you lose the romantic angle unless the goal is to imply his incestuous desire of her-- but in a way that scenario does explain his motivation and obsession to make her the world's greatest opera singer. 

Earlier I watched Deathstalker II: Duel of the TitansDemon of Paradise, and Eddie Murphy: Raw.

Now I'm watching a TV movie entitled Fight for Life starring Jerry Lewis, Patty Duke and Morgan Freeman. 

It's been a weird mix today.

• Like 1

Saw most of WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? last night. It's definitely better than THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT. Okay, that's not exactly high praise. It did have some amusing moments. Tony Randall is an upgrade from Tom Ewell. Jayne Mansfield is believable as a girl who would do anything for stardom; in THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, she's not at all convincing as the girl who doesn't want to be a star.

I did keep getting Jayne and her poodle mixed up, they looked so much alike. One of them kept yelping a lot. This was allegedly funny. Joan Blondell stole every scene she was in.

Also watched ILLEGAL last night. Edward G. Robinson was tailor made for the role of the ambitious D.A. who collapses after he sends an innocent man to chair. I've always liked Nina Foch, but she could have looked more attractive (wardrobe, hair, lighting could have been better), and she has given even stronger performances (EXECUTIVE SUITE, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS). Hugh Marlowe, Edward Platt, and Albert Dekker stand out in support, and Jayne Mansfield has a small part she doesn't mess up. I don't get the "grown woman with little girl voice" as being sexy or attractive, but obviously others do. ILLEGAL was worth seeing once, but possibly not twice.

• Like 2

Saw most of WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? last night. It's definitely better than THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT. Okay, that's not exactly high praise. It did have some amusing moments. Tony Randall is an upgrade from Tom Ewell. Jayne Mansfield is believable as a girl who would do anything for stardom; in THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, she's not at all convincing as the girl who doesn't want to be a star.

I did keep getting Jayne and her poodle mixed up, they looked so much alike. One of them kept yelping a lot. This was allegedly funny. Joan Blondell stole every scene she was in.

Also watched ILLEGAL last night. Edward G. Robinson was tailor made for the role of the ambitious D.A. who collapses after he sends an innocent man to chair. I've always liked Nina Foch, but she could have looked more attractive (wardrobe, hair, lighting could have been better), and she has given even stronger performances (EXECUTIVE SUITE, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS). Hugh Marlowe, Edward Platt, and Albert Dekker stand out in support, and Jayne Mansfield has a small part she doesn't mess up. I don't get the "grown woman with little girl voice" as being sexy or attractive, but obviously others do. ILLEGAL was worth seeing once, but possibly not twice.

What you state about Illegal is on target.   I have to believe Nina's look in the film was intentional.  She can be very striking when her hair is let down around shoulder length.     Her character was very uptight so I wonder if that tight bun hairstyle was a reflection of the character's personality????       To me the 'low key' Jayne in this film is more attractive then the overly made-up one we see in her color films.

Last night was the second time I have seen the film and I was going to turn to something else,  but Eddie's performance keep me from doing so.

• Like 1

From a Whisper to a Scream - Horror anthology starring Vincent Price, Cameron Mitchell, Susan Tyrell, Rosalind Cash, Clu Gulager and more. When I saw this in the theater back in '87, it had the title The Offspring.

What you state about Illegal is on target.   I have to believe Nina's look in the film was intentional.  She can be very striking when her hair is let down around shoulder length.     Her character was very uptight so I wonder if that tight bun hairstyle was a reflection of the character's personality????       To me the 'low key' Jayne in this film is more attractive then the overly made-up one we see in her color films.

Last night was the second time I have seen the film and I was going to turn to something else,  but Eddie's performance keep me from doing so.

ILLEGAL is re-airing on August 1st, when TCM makes Robinson a Summer Under the Stars honoree.