Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Cry of the Banshee (1970) - Comet TV

The second of three films (along with The Oblong Box (1969) and Scream and Scream Again (1970) which were aired earlier this month) directed by Gordon Hessler and starring Vincent Price who portrayed a witch hunter again (A safe bet that the makers of this one had seen Witchfinder General (1968).). Plus an animated title sequence that was obviously created by Terry Gilliam even before his name appeared in those credits.

Matewan- True story of the violent repercussions of West Virginia coal miners trying to unionize in the 1920's. Starring Chris Cooper, Mary McDonnell, James Earl Jones, David Strathairn, and my great grandmother. 

• Like 2

Mr. Roberts (1955) - TCM

James Cagney AND William Powell. As far as I'm concerned, nothing more needs to be said.

Yea,  and those two fine actors are not even the leading actors in the film.  

Yea,  and those two fine actors are not even the leading actors in the film.  

True. But those two plus Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon make for a hell of a foursome.

We are already past one of my favorite scenes where they create their own scotch. Who better to be the engineer for that task but 'Nick Charles' himself!

Midway (1976) - Sundance

The Battle of Midway was, arguably, the most important battle between the United States and Japan in World War 2. And was definitely the turning point of the war in that theatre of operations. So it was disappointing that this Hollywood treatment of that battle was so blah. And all those cameos was just distracting. As was having Toshiro Mifune speak with the well known voice of Paul Frees.

• Like 1

Prince of Darkness - John Carpenter film about a container of goo found in an old church basement that may herald the end of the world. With Alice Cooper as a homicidal bum. This movie has many detractors, and there are a lot of rough edges, but I like it.

She- Devil (1989)

Starring Meryl Streep & Roseanne Barr.

Barr stars as a frumpy wife and mother who loses her husband to romance novelist Streep, and then proceeds to make her (Streep's) and ex-husband's lives a "hell on earth."

"Hell hath no fury..."

I've been watching some low-budget classics this afternoon on Amazon Prime-- two of them featuring John Archer (father of Anne Archer). 

The first one was a lot of fun-- BOWERY AT MIDNIGHT, a Monogram thriller where Archer plays a college student who runs afoul of Bela Lugosi.

The other one is CITY OF MISSING GIRLS, where Archer is an assistant D.A. working on a case that involves women who are being sold into slavery. 

• Like 2