Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I took the day off from work today (I just didn't feel like going. I decided I didn't feel like going in on Friday on Wednesday and requested it off.  Lol) and I'm starting my day off with an episode of I Love Lucy (#178, "Lucy Raises Tulips").  Not too shabby.

Tales of Terror (1962) - Comet TV

Directed by Roger Corman. Written by Richard Matheson. And starring Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone. Plus Debra Paget. All in all, not a bad way to spend part of a Friday afternoon.

You know, for a channel with such a science-fictionish name, Comet TV airs a lot of Vincent Price movies. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• Like 2

Crime Story season 2. The first season was very good, and featured a lot of "before-they-were-stars" appearances, from people like Julia Roberts, Gary Sinise and more. Season 2 starts off with guest star Kevin Spacey as a Kennedy-esque senator.

I'm watching a beautiful print of TAP ROOTS on Youtube. A great Universal classic from 1948, with Susan Hayward, Van Heflin, Julie London, Boris Karloff and Richard Long.

No other post-war film has such gorgeous photography in Technicolor. This is Walter Wanger's masterpiece.

• Like 2

I was watching the "Word of Mouth" segment about Frank Sinatra on TCM and then after Nancy Sinatra mentioned that Gene Kelly had taught Sinatra how to dance, I suddenly wanted to watch the American Masters documentary about Kelly.  It's a special feature on my An American in Paris DVD, so here we are.  I'm watching a PBS documentary about Gene Kelly.

Kelly's Heroes (1970) - TCM On Demand

"All the burning bridges that are falling after me. All the lonely feelings and the burning memories. Everyone I left behind each time I closed the door. Burning bridges lost forevermore."

A really interesting 1972 TV movie called The Screaming Woman starring Olivia de Havilland...with Joseph Cotten and Walter Pidgeon in supporting roles. Based on a Ray Bradbury short story, it's about a woman recently released from a mental institution who is unable to convince others that a neighbor buried his wife alive. Her family thinks she's had a relapse and still crazy. Excellent acting. 

• Like 2

The List of Adrian Messenger (1963) directed by John Huston. Interesting whodunnit film with George C. Scott and Kirk Douglas plus cameos by Burt Lancaster, Robert Mitchum and a few other major stars.

Kind of an Agatha Christie type story.

Watched it on youtube.

• Like 3

The Upturned Glass (1947) Noir with James Mason. Story is told in flashbacks by Mason.

Fascinating film and of course James Mason was superb as 'the skilled neuro-surgeon". Watched it on youtube.

Some fun trivia...his wife Pamela Kellino is third-billed in THE UPTURNED GLASS.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-06%2Bat%2B6.43.3

And she co-wrote the script. 

• Like 1

Watching A Very Missing Person-- a Universal TV movie from 1972 with Eve Arden. It was intended to be a regular mystery series. Eve plays an updated (for the 70s) version of Hildegarde Withers. She's just as good as Edna May Oliver-- some of her one-liners are hilarious. They have James Gregory playing Oscar Piper, and he's also excellent.

Sample dialogue: "A woman's m.o. is poison. Lizzie Borden used an axe, because the drugstore was closed."

• Like 2

The Boys in the Band (1970 Film) written by Matt Crowley (Stage Play 1968).

Watched it on Youtube.

Compelling and engrossing movie about gay men during the 60's.

The LGBT section of the TCM forum has an excellent discussion focused on the actors and their roles in the movie.

• Like 1

"The Murderer Lives At Number 21" (1942)--Henri-Georges Clouzot's first film.  I saw his "Diabolique" (1955) earlier today, and made a point of catching this.

I came in a little late on this one. What I really enjoy, and this goes for many French films, is the humor. Even when it's obvious, it's amusing and entertaining. Way better than the stuff we're hit over the head with in this country.

• Like 1

Such a good film. Thanks for the interesting tidbit TB.

I liked this film too. James Mason does a great acting job, as usual. That is his first wife, Pamela Kellino, who plays Kate Howard. Some of the scenes are very tense and it makes a great film noir..

• Like 1