Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Watching A Very Missing Person-- a Universal TV movie from 1972 with Eve Arden. It was intended to be a regular mystery series. Eve plays an updated (for the 70s) version of Hildegarde Withers. She's just as good as Edna May Oliver-- some of her one-liners are hilarious. They have James Gregory playing Oscar Piper, and he's also excellent.

Sample dialogue: "A woman's m.o. is poison. Lizzie Borden used an axe, because the drugstore was closed."

I like this one too. Eve Arden was a very good actress. I love her one-liners too! When I was very young I loved her TV show, Our Miss Brooks. She was a wise-cracking schoolteacher always making passes at the Biology teacher, who never has a clue! A sample of the dialogue went: Miss Brooks, would you like a kiss? And she goes "All righty." She closes her eyes and puckers up, but he was offering her a candy kiss! She was equally good in serious parts as well. In the 40's she was great as Joan Crawford's friend in Mildred Pierce.

• Like 1

I like this one too. Eve Arden was a very good actress. I love her one-liners too! When I was very young I loved her TV show, Our Miss Brooks. She was a wise-cracking schoolteacher always making passes at the Biology teacher, who never has a clue! A sample of the dialogue went: Miss Brooks, would you like a kiss? And she goes "All righty." She closes her eyes and puckers up, but he was offering her a candy kiss! She was equally good in serious parts as well. In the 40's she was great as Joan Crawford's friend in Mildred Pierce.

Agreed. TCM really needs to give her a primetime spotlight. Her line deliveries were always perfect. And on The Mothers-in-Law she proved what a great musical performer she was, too.

A really interesting 1972 TV movie called The Screaming Woman starring Olivia de Havilland...with Joseph Cotten and Walter Pidgeon in supporting roles. Based on a Ray Bradbury short story, it's about a woman recently released from a mental institution who is unable to convince others that a neighbor buried his wife alive. Her family thinks she's had a relapse and still crazy. Excellent acting.

Olivia was great in 70's Tele Films too, like this one. I liked this one too and she played the part very authentically. They did not believe her...

• Like 1

Agreed. TCM really needs to give her a primetime spotlight. Her line deliveries were always perfect. And on The Mothers-in-Law she proved what a great musical performer she was, too.

I liked her in The Mothers in Law too. I had almost forgotten - her singing voice was great too. She had a good role when she was pretty young in Stage Door. I love her one liners there too.

• Like 1

Tonight I'm watching a few episodes of The Lucy Show on Hulu. It's been awhile since I'd seen some of them. I prefer this show to I Love Lucy for a variety of reasons. The first three seasons with Lucy & Viv are truly great, with a lot of classic episodes.

I think what I'm noticing this time around is where the wacky Lucy persona leaves off and the real Lucille Ball emerges. Actress Kaye Ballard (who starred on The Mothers-in-Law which was produced by Desilu) said people didn't realize who the real Lucille was, that she was not at all like the character she played in the sitcoms. Kaye described her as a very tough, very strong lady-- and you can see that on her shows if you look beyond what she's playing.

Wiseguy Season 1 on DVD. I remember a lot of praise for this show the year it came out, but I didn't watch it. Ken Wahl stars as an undercover FBI agent. The show's gimmick was that each half-season would be one on-going story, with Wahl infiltrating a criminal organization and then slowly setting up the eventual takedown. The first 10 episodes feature Ray Sharkey as a mafia boss and the main villain. The second half, and the main reason I wanted to watch this finally, has Kevin Spacey in his first major role as a billionaire arms dealer. 

• Like 1

Wiseguy Season 1 on DVD. I remember a lot of praise for this show the year it came out, but I didn't watch it. Ken Wahl stars as an undercover FBI agent. The show's gimmick was that each half-season would be one on-going story, with Wahl infiltrating a criminal organization and then slowly setting up the eventual takedown. The first 10 episodes feature Ray Sharkey as a mafia boss and the main villain. The second half, and the main reason I wanted to watch this finally, has Kevin Spacey in his first major role as a billionaire arms dealer. 

Larry,

I bought the entire series on DVD a few years ago (It's on Hulu now). The arc with Kevin Spacey is very good, though there is a lot of scenery chewing. My favorite arc is the one with Jerry Lewis and Ron Silver from the second season. And I like some of what I call the 'in-between' episodes (that occur between the longer arcs) where they focus on Vinnie's mother and stepfather or on Vinnie's old high school buddies. It's too bad Wahl left after the third season. It should have lasted much longer.

• Like 1

Larry,

I bought the entire series on DVD a few years ago (It's on Hulu now). The arc with Kevin Spacey is very good, though there is a lot of scenery chewing. My favorite arc is the one with Jerry Lewis and Ron Silver from the second season. And I like some of what I call the 'in-between' episodes (that occur between the longer arcs) where they focus on Vinnie's mother and stepfather or on Vinnie's old high school buddies. It's too bad Wahl left after the third season. It should have lasted much longer.

I was just reading up on the rest of the series, and thought the second season sounded interesting. I saw that it's never been released by itself on disc. The comments on the series set that I saw said that a whole story arc, dealing with a record company, had been omitted from the set due to music rights issues. Is that the same set you have? Do you know if the missing episodes are on Hulu?

I was just reading up on the rest of the series, and thought the second season sounded interesting. I saw that it's never been released by itself on disc. The comments on the series set that I saw said that a whole story arc, dealing with a record company, had been omitted from the set due to music rights issues. Is that the same set you have? Do you know if the missing episodes are on Hulu?

The DVD set I purchased does not include the record company arc. When Wiseguy was rerun in syndication in North America, these episodes were left out (not sure about syndication and home video releases in foreign countries). There are a few episodes after the arc with a girlfriend Vinnie became involved with during that time, played by Patti D'Arbanville that do not have music in them, which remain available. 

A lot of fans cite the record company story as the best arc, but I remember watching it when it first aired on CBS in the late 80s, and while it was good, I hardly thought it was the best.

Due to the music licensing issue and it being unavailable, people seem to rate it higher than they normally would if it were included in the DVD releases and on Hulu. Before Stephen Cannell died, he said fans of the series continually asked him about this story and why it could no longer be seen. He explained that the music used couldn't be cut from the story without ruining it, and that the publishing companies were too greedy and asking too much to keep licensing it. So he said it would never legally be available again.

Incidentally, the story at the beginning of season four after Wahl was replaced, has some music. Singer Martika plays a dramatic role, but I think they redubbed her songs. That's a very good arc, because even after Wahl departed, the writing was still strong. But viewers couldn't accept a replacement and halfway through the fourth season, CBS canceled the series.

• Like 1

In honor of Judy Garland's birthday today, I'm watching Summer Stock.  I love this movie, minus the horrendous "Heavenly Music" number.  I'll go make myself another gin and tonic or something during that part.

• Like 1

I am watching: Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown on: DisneyXD  It is countdown of highest-voted songs from: Phineas and Ferb series.

I love the range of musical styles. They have done Betty pop and rock and roll and rap and ballad and pop rock and pop and several others. They are all done to a very high standard and are yet whimsical. 

Some of my favorite lyrics are the refrain in the ballad:

You'll always be

My little brothers

Because you're younger

We're related

And you're boys.

I do not know why this tickles me so.

It is sadly now ending and so I will switch over to: Stalag 17 (1953).

• Like 2

One of our lovely fellow posters sent me a copy of MOSS ROSE, which I received in the mail today. I watched it earlier and am watching it again. It's very enjoyable.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-12%2Bat%2B9.59.4

Fox boss Darryl Zanuck said it was atrociously miscast (he actually used the word atrociously) and I think he was referring to Victor Mature who seems out of his element in a Victorian period piece. But Vic is not terrible...and the rest of the cast is splendid-- especially Ethel Barrymore and Vincent Price. The sets are gorgeous, and the last scene conveys a note of optimism but cleverly avoids a cliched happy ending.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-12%2Bat%2B7.28.0

Watching the noir-thriller UNION STATION. Character actor Barry Fitzgerald; William Holden in his prime; the lovely Nancy Olson; and Lyle Bettger at the start of his film career...can you ask for a better cast..?

The 70th Annual Tony Awards, since live theatre/musical theatre is basically my life and has been since I was about 3 years old. I knew Hamilton was basically going to sweep the competition, but it's nice to watch this program and learn more and become inspired. :wub:

• Like 1

Trying to clear out the DVR...

Tonight I felt like a comedy, so I'm watching...

Too Many Husbands with Fred MacMurray and Jean Arthur.  From the synopsis, it sounds like an opposite sex version of My Favorite Wife.  

It was an added bonus that this was a late night recording so I got to see the fantastic TCM late night intro and hear the great jazz music.

Sherlock Holmes (1954–1955) television series.

Ronald Howard is: Sherlock Holmes. He is son of actor: Leslie Howard. He is quite fun to watch and can be quite animated.

Howard Marion-Crawford is: Dr. Watson. He is much less a wimp than: Dr. Watson played by: Nigel Bruce.
  • Like 1

Above the Law - Steven Seagal's debut. He slaps a lot of people. With Pam Grier, Sharon Stone and Henry Silva as Zagon.

I get a kick out of watching his early movies. When he put on so much weight he had to be filmed in close-up, the appeal of his fight scenes went out the window.

I get a kick out of watching his early movies. When he put on so much weight he had to be filmed in close-up, the appeal of his fight scenes went out the window.

Yeah, it was startling how skinny he was back in the beginning of his film career. It was also before he started spray-painting his bald spot, too, so his hair is noticeably thin.

• Like 1

I am watching FLAMING FEATHER on Amazon Prime...a Technicolor 50s western starring Sterling Hayden and Forrest Tucker. They're good. But Victor Jory steals it as the movie's villain. His crooked store owner makes snake oil salesmen look like saints.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-13%2Bat%2B7.27.4

What I love about this picture-- and why I've seen it several times-- is how more than half of it is filmed outdoors. No phony backdrops and rear projection. Not even when they're climbing up the side of a pueblo and fighting near a pit of fire during the climactic finale. This is a real piece of the west-- you can feel the dust and the gun smoke practically coming off the screen.

The actors seem to be doing most of their own stunts. They're out of breath, the sweat is running down their faces, they're tired and dirty. This is no act. It's a great film.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-13%2Bat%2B7.25.5

• Like 1