Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Let Us Be Gay (1930)

This Rod La Rocque fellow reminds me an awful lot of Vincent Price - his speech and mannerisms.

And Mrs. "Bouccicault" LOL! Did W.C. Fields write this character? As many times as everyone refers to her as "Boucci", I'm reminded of Are You Being Served? and Mrs. Slocombe's "Boucci".

:lol:

I'm enjoying Marie Dressler very much as the bossy Lady of the house. The back and forth between she and her butler.

• Like 1

I'm watching The Strawberry Blonde.  I really like this movie.  My only complaint is the giggling woman.  I wish that Cagney would have just socked her in the mouth and put her out of her misery.  She's more annoying than the girl in Sabrina who can't quit giggling when William Holden pulls his champagne on the tennis court act on her.

• Like 1

I get a kick out of watching his early movies. When he put on so much weight he had to be filmed in close-up, the appeal of his fight scenes went out the window.

I agree but now we get to see more of his acting highlighted.

• Like 1

I've been on a 50s western kick lately. After FLAMING FEATHER yesterday, I watched GUNSIGHT RIDGE twice-- the one where Mark Stevens is a vicious killer with a penchant for playing the piano. Joel McCrea costars as the agent seeking to bring him to justice. The on-screen moments between both men are very good, especially the death scene near the end. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-14%2Bat%2B4.47.2

Now I'm watching a Republic western made in 1957 called HELL'S CROSSROADS. Robert Vaughn, in what was his first important movie role, is cast as Bob Ford-- giving a whole new definition of cowardice. But the star is Stephen McNally, pictured above, who plays a member of the James gang that falls for Bob's sister. The story seems quite faithful to the actual events, and I like how it focuses more on the emotional problems experienced by men who kill and survive. 

• Like 1
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) It is brilliant low-key comedy of errors with very high body count. A young man is cheated out of more money than he has and so he and his friends decide to rob his neighbor for the money he yet owes. This is not as bad as it sounds because his neighbors make their living robbing drug dealers. That robbery is a success but they try to sell the drugs to the person whom the neighbors stole it. This mean that the neighbors and the drug dealer are both after them. The situation becomes complicated after that. There are also two antique shotguns involved.
  • Like 1

Bulletproof - Gary Busey stars as a tough cop who gets shot a lot but won't die, so his co-workers call him "Bulletproof". Really.

With Darlanne Fluegel, L.Q. Jones, R.G. Armstrong and Henry Silva.

"I'm your worst nightmare, butt horn!"

Catacombs - Timothy Van Patten stars in this haunted monastery movie. It was one of the final films from Charles Band's Empire Pictures. It's release was held up for 5 years, at which time it was put out on video under the title Curse IV: The Ultimate Sacrifice. Charles Band was back at low budget filmmaking soon enough, after he formed his new Full Moon company, which led to him becoming the Roger Corman of 1990's genre video releases.

Cinema Paradiso - Italian love letter to the movies, starring Philippe Noiret. I've heard of this one for years, but never watched it, as the ads made it look too saccharine for my tastes. We shall see.

• Like 1

Cinema Paradiso - Italian love letter to the movies, starring Philippe Noiret. I've heard of this one for years, but never watched it, as the ads made it look too saccharine for my tastes. We shall see.

Larry,

Did you continue watching Wiseguy..? Or did you stop after the Kevin Spacey arc?

Let Us Be Gay (1930)

This Rod La Rocque fellow reminds me an awful lot of Vincent Price - his speech and mannerisms.

And Mrs. "Bouccicault" LOL! Did W.C. Fields write this character? As many times as everyone refers to her as "Boucci", I'm reminded of Are You Being Served? and Mrs. Slocombe's "Boucci".

:lol:

I'm enjoying Marie Dressler very much as the bossy Lady of the house. The back and forth between she and her butler.

I had seen Let Us Be Gay before and to me the acting, especially by the men,  was weak.   This was a while ago so I started to watch the film again this week and they weren't any better (well I mean I didn't change my POV of course).

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) It is a movie of exquisite sadness and intimate conflict. I have not watched it since it was first released but acquired DVD of recent. I had forgotten how beautiful a movie it is. It quite simply touches my soul in many ways.

• Like 2

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) It is a movie of exquisite sadness and intimate conflict. I have not watched it since it was first released but acquired DVD of recent. I had forgotten how beautiful a movie it is. It quite simply touches my soul in many ways.

That was a truly beautiful movie to look at. The costumes and production design were very well done, and all of the performances were good, especially Gong Li.

That was a truly beautiful movie to look at. The costumes and production design were very well done, and all of the performances were good, especially Gong Li.

Her range was quite extraordinary. She wore her lust well and her vindictive hatred penetrated to her core. She was a marvel to watch.

Big Top Pee-Wee - I was a fan of Pee-Wee's first film, but I never got around to watching his next, until now. 

I'd like to know what you think of it.

I'm a big Paul Rubens fan and much preferred BIG TOP to BIG ADVENTURE. I loved the wordplay in the mess tent about "putting on a show" and the Piccola-Poopola Bros schtick.

While no movie masterpiece,  the movie contains several teeny "gags" sprinkled throughout like Rubens jungle singing for the soundtrack when he & Gina are riding the elephant on their picnic. It strikes me similarly to any Abbott & Costello movie-fluff, but a fun ride.

Big Top Pee-Wee - I was a fan of Pee-Wee's first film, but I never got around to watching his next, until now. 

I'd like to know what you think of it.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first film. Big Top had a sweetness about it that wasn't in the first. It may have come from the increased emphasis on romance, something I didn't expect from a Pee-Wee Herman movie. As you mention, the movie is filled with good little bits, sight gags and throwaway jokes that almost slide past. I also liked seeing all of the old character actors that played the grumpy townsfolk. 

Larry,

Did you continue watching Wiseguy..? Or did you stop after the Kevin Spacey arc?

For those reading the posts in the thread-- Larry did answer me, in a private message. LOL

Last night, I started watching SANTA FE PASSAGE, a Republic western in Trucolor from 1955. Part of my continuing series on 50s westerns, apparently. It stars John Payne and Faith Domergue. This time the comic sidekick is played by Slim Pickens. I reached the 15 minute mark then was interrupted. Planning to finish watching it today.

• Like 1

Last night, I started watching SANTA FE PASSAGE, a Republic western in Trucolor from 1955. Part of my continuing series on 50s westerns, apparently. It stars John Payne and Faith Domergue. This time the comic sidekick is played by Slim Pickens. I reached the 15 minute mark then was interrupted. Planning to finish watching it today.

And today's Faith Domergue's birthday, as well.

• Like 2