Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

And today's Faith Domergue's birthday, as well.

Is it? Didn't realize that. Gives me more reason to finish watching SANTA FE PASSAGE. She hadn't appeared yet on screen in the first 15 minutes.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-16%2Bat%2B11.16.

The story began with a covered wagon, led by scoutmaster John Payne, meeting some friendly Kiowa natives and trading guns (without powder) for safe passage through the territory. There was a music box that enthralled everyone. The men soon were drinking and dancing by a fire with the natives. I think Faith Domergue is supposed to play a Kiowa girl that Payne's character falls in love with.

At the start of the picture, it said the entire film was photographed by the Republic Organization in Moab, Utah. The scenery is gorgeous, and I love the way Trucolor gives the sagebrush a blue-green tint, brings out the red and yellow in the rocks, and gives the sky a pastel blue quality. 

At the start of the picture, it said the entire film was photographed by the Republic Organization in Moab, Utah. The scenery is gorgeous, and I love the way Trucolor gives the sagebrush a blue-green tint, brings out the red and yellow in the rocks, and gives the sky a pastel blue quality. 

Several years ago I spent some time in Moab, Utah, checking out Canyonlands National Park and Arches National Park. It really is gorgeous out there.

• Like 1

Demons III: The Ogre - Italian horror from director Lamberto Bava. A family moves into an old castle where creatures from their darkest nightmares may or may not be manifesting into reality. It apparently has absolutely nothing to do with either previous film in the series.

Watching the rest of SANTA FE PASSAGE, and enjoying it. There was a great sequence with some wild horses running down a canyon towards the wagon train. Breathtaking! 

The water in the streams is so clear. 

Faith Domergue has an interesting way of delivering her lines. She seems to address the subtext of her character in an almost reluctant way...like she's grappling with the issues and trying to shut them down. This approach gives her dramatic scenes a lot of tension.

Rod Cameron is also in this film, third-billed, as a man who has hired John Payne and Slim Pickens to lead the group into Mexico. His character plans to marry Domergue in San Antonio. There was a powerful scene where he kills a member of the train in cold blood, in front of everyone else, out in the open. He claims to be justified in the killing and it is not disputed. After the death occurs, it is acknowledged that the slain individual will now be buzzard bait.

For Queen & Country - Denzel Washington stars as a British ex-soldier who returns to his crime-ridden neighborhood. He has to deal with police corruption, drug dealers, and casual racism. Washington doing a British accent is weird.

• Like 1

The Incredible Hulk Returns - TV movie featuring the return of Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as David Banner and his mean green alter ego the Hulk, respectively. Also with Lee Purcell, and Eric Kramer as Thor.

hulk_thor_0.png?itok=uebe9YWE

• Like 1

I'm watching SHERLOCK HOLMES: DRESSED TO KILL on Hulu. It's a colorized version, but I'm okay with that. 

I haven't seen a colorized version.  But a great flick.  I especially like seeing "Stinky" with and without his rug.  And Watson at his bumbling best.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a colorized version.  But a great flick.  I especially like seeing "Stinky" with and without his rug.  And Watson at his bumbling best.

Stinky's murder seemed rather graphic for a 1946 film made during the production code era. The scene where Watson tries to put the fire out and the woman absconds with the music box was certainly entertaining. 

The colorization appears to be overdone in some parts (too saturated) but Legend Films was working off a print restored from UCLA, so it's crisp looking and devoid of unnecessary jump cuts. 

P.S. -- I just looked up Patricia Morison who played the villainess in DRESSED TO KILL. As I write this, she's still alive and is 101 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Morison

Robin and the Seven Hoods.  I've seen this film before, but it happens to be on right now while I'm sitting here on Day 1 of my vacation trying to decide what I want to do.  Despite my dislike of Peter Falk (I find him to be over the top and I don't like his voice), I enjoy this film.  The Rat Pack films are such fun.

This was my first time seeing Tiffany Vasquez introduce a film.  She wasn't bad, just boring.  I know she's new, so perhaps with time, she'll develop a more personable persona.  Right now, she reminds me of watching someone giving a speech or presentation in class.  Her introductions are slow-paced and somewhat stilted.  With time, hopefully she'll become more relaxed and less like she's giving an official presentation.  I also noticed her vocal fry, which can be annoying.  However, that could be how her voice naturally sounds, so I won't criticize her for it.  

I am watching paint dry.

It is a thick epoxy paint-coating. I must wait until it is at certain exact stage of drying and then will add tint particles. Adding them very early will result in their dissolving which will create unattractive and uneven color. Adding them a little early will result in their settling to the bottom. Adding them a little late will result in their remaining on or near the surface. It is when they are added at exact proper moment that they will come to be suspended within coating and their edges will fuzz because they dissolve only slightly. There is perhaps five-minute window within approx. three-hour dry-time which is ideal for adding.

Mercenary Fighters - More military-style, third-world shoot 'em up, this time starring Peter Fonda, Reb Brown, James Mitchum, Robert DoQui and Ron O'Neal. I'm curious to see if the title refers to mercenaries that are also fighters, or those who fight against mercenaries. 

Mercenary_fighters_vhs.jpg

I'm curious to see if the title refers to mercenaries that are also fighters, or those who fight against mercenaries. 

If firefighters fight fires and crime fights fight crime then what do freedom fighters fight?

If firefighters fight fires and crime fights fight crime then what do freedom fighters fight?

Oddly enough, in that Mercenary Fighters film, I was joking about what the title meant, except that in the story, both interpretations were accurate. They were fighters that were also mercenaries, but by the end, a few became fighters against the other mercenaries.

Messenger of Death - Charles Bronson tries to uncover whether the massacre of a Mormon family was religiously motivated or something else. With a large cast, including, Trish Van Devere, John Ireland, Charles Dierkop, Daniel Benzali, Laurence Luckinbill, and Jeff Corey.

300px-Messenger_of_Death_Poster.jpg

The Milagro Beanfield War - Ensemble piece about big business interests and the poor people they impact with their decisions. Directed by Robert Redford, and featuring Christopher Walken, Ruben Blades, Sonia Braga, Melanie Griffith, John Heard, Daniel Stern, and more. This is another one of those I've heard about for years but hadn't gotten around to watching yet.

walken_milagro_stern.jpg

• Like 2