Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Crash and Burn- Full Moon production about giant robots in a future where corporations rule the world and the environment is ruined. Starring Paul Ganus, Megan Ward, Eva LaRue, Jack McGee, Bill Moseley and Ralph Waite.

crashburn7.jpg

• Like 1

Darkman - 12 years before Spider-Man, director Sam Raimi made this hyper-kinetic, darkly comic superhero original with horror touches. Liam Neeson stars as the faceless hero of the title, with Frances McDormand, Colin Friels, Larry Drake, and Ted Raimi. The score by Danny Elfman recalls the previous year's Batman.

darkman-lead-image.jpg?quality=90&w=650

The Death of the Incredible Hulk - Final outing for Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as the fugitive scientist and the green rage monster he turns into, respectively. Andreas Katsulas plays the villain. Bixby also directed. He died about 3 years later.

hulktv77.jpg

Dick Tracy - Warren Beatty's candy-colored comic strip action film. With Al Pacino, Madonna, Glenne Headly, Paul Sorvino, James Caan, William Forsythe, Dustin Hoffman, Ed O'Ross, Henry Silva, Mandy Patinkin, Seymour Cassel, Michael J. Pollard, Charles Durning, Dick Van Dyke, James Tolkan, R.G. Armstrong, Catherine O'Hara, Mike Mazurki, Ian Wolfe, Kathy Bates, and Charlie Korsmo as the Kid. Whew.

tracyprom0.jpeg

Drug Wars: The Camarena Story - True-story TV movie about the DEA fighting the drug war in 1980's Mexico. Starring Steven Bauer, Treat Williams, Elizabeth Pena, Craig T. Nelson, Tomas Milian, Miguel Ferrer, and Benicio Del Toro.

4872550_640px.jpg?1461540950

Frankenstein Unbound - Roger Corman returned to the director's chair after nearly 20 years for this film adaptation of the book by Brian Aldiss, which throws some sci-fi time travel into the old Frankenstein story. Starring John Hurt, Raul Julia as the doctor, Bridget Fonda as Mary Shelley, Jason Patric as Lord Byron, INXS singer Michael Hutchence as Percy Shelley, and Nick Brimble as the monster.

968full-frankenstein-unbound-screenshot.

Lawrence,

What did you think of this take on Frankenstein?

I haven't seen it in about 10 years but kinda liked it.  The time travel and "Kitt Kar" were a bit too much but a good monster.

Lawrence,

What did you think of this take on Frankenstein?

I haven't seen it in about 10 years but kinda liked it.  The time travel and "Kitt Kar" were a bit too much but a good monster.

I felt it was a decent, lower budget effort. I had read the book, so I was slightly disappointed as one often is when the film can't quite live up to your mind's eye version. John Hurt and Raul Julia were both excellent, as usual, and lend the film more class than the production would have had with lesser actors. The creature has an interesting, unique look, not all of which works (the stitched eyeballs are a bit much), but the actor Nick Brimble was fine. He went on to play Little John in the Costner Robin Hood movie.

I gave the movie 7/10, or a B- grade.

Michael Caine and Cheryl Ladd? What, Lawrence, couldn't they get John Gielgud and Farrah Fawcett?

I just watched Julien Duvivier's LA FETE A HENRIETTE (HOLIDAY FOR HENRIETTA) (1952). Duvivier is becoming one of my favorite directors. Apparently PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES is a remake, but I haven't seen that one. Duvivier is something like the French Billy Wilder. Or maybe even better? Like Wilder, he can do comedy, he can do noir. Duvivier has a lightness of touch that works even in superb noir films like PANIQUE and VOICI LE TEMPS DES ASSASSINS.

LA FETE A HENRIETTE begins with two screenwriters whose film has been rejected by the censors. They try to create a new film and argue how it should be developed. Bastille Day is also St. Henriette's Day, so they create a heroine named Henriette, played by the charming Dany Robin. They give her a fiance who's a photographer (Michel Roux, also charming), but she attracts the attention of a more worldly and dangerous man (Michel Auclair, terrific in several incarnations of the character). Hildegard Knef (worldly, with much sex appeal) plays an equestrienne who fascinates Henriette's fiance.

If this often reminded me of Billy Wilder, it also reminded me of Woody Allen. Remember the great scene in MIDNIGHT IN PARIS which referenced THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL? This film has a great BICYCLE THIEVES joke and also refers to several French films, including Duvivier's own SOUS LE CIEL DE PARIS.

If you're looking for connections to the New Wave, you'll find plenty. Godard obviously did not invent writing in the "conditional tense," as one of his films has it, and the meta-cinematic aspects suggest the New Wave, as does a montage scene with more wipes than I have ever seen in a movie before.

Duvivier's co-scenarist, Henri Jeanson, is one of the great screenwriters of French cinema.

Obviously my top ten list for 1952 has to be redone.

• Like 2

The Carol Burnett Show: Carol Burnett is one of my favorite people to ever grace the television screen. This TV show is definitely a classic; it is very reminiscent of the good ol' days when comedy was original and wholesome. 

1347048907_3.jpg

The Mrs. Wiggins/Mr. Tudball skits are some of my favorites. One of my greatest successes is getting my little brother hooked on The Carol Burnett Show; he now loves her almost as much as I do. 

slide3-3big.jpg

"The Family" sketches are also highly hilarious. It is great how Vicki Lawrence is able to make us believe she is an ornery old lady. Carol and Vicki had such great chemistry in these particular skits. 

• Like 3

The Carol Burnett Show: Carol Burnett is one of my favorite people to ever grace the television screen. This TV show is definitely a classic; it is very reminiscent of the good ol' days when comedy was original and wholesome. 

1347048907_3.jpg

The Mrs. Wiggins/Mr. Tudball skits are some of my favorites. One of my greatest successes is getting my little brother hooked on The Carol Burnett Show; he now loves her almost as much as I do. 

slide3-3big.jpg

"The Family" sketches are also highly hilarious. It is great how Vicki Lawrence is able to make us believe she is an ornery old lady. Carol and Vicki had such great chemistry in these particular skits. 

You should watch Mama's Family.  It is equally hilarious especially after they ditch the two lame kids after the first season.

• Like 1