Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I'm watching WHITE BANNERS, a heartwarming drama from Warner Brothers, c. 1938. Fay Bainter was nominated for an Oscar for her lead performance. Claude Rains costars, and so do Bonita Granville and Jackie Cooper. TCM no longer airs this picture (perhaps because of rights issues).

That was a good one. 

• Like 1

That was a good one. 

I've just finished watching it. Fay Bainter is truly superb in WHITE BANNERS. I love the way she and Jackie Cooper played their scenes. And Claude Rains does an excellent job as usual. The ending is kind of bittersweet, though.

• Like 1

"The Second Time Around" with Debbie Reynolds, Andy Griffith, Thelma Ritter, and Eleanor Audley (who voiced Maleficent in Disney's Sleeping Beauty and Lady Tremaine, the stepmother, in Disney's Cinderella). 

Source: YouTube 

• Like 2

I'm enjoying Sylvia Sidney in an old Paramount film from 1935, called MARY BURNS FUGITIVE. Her costar is Melvyn Douglas (at the beginning of his film career). Fellow poster MCannady sent me a copy of this film as a housewarming present, and I certainly appreciate it!

• Like 1

Law & Order season one - The ubiquitous procedural got it's start here, with original cast members George Dzundza, Chris Noth, and Dann Florek on the police side, and Michael Moriarty, Richard Brooks, and Steven Hill on the lawyer side.

law-and-order-cast-season-1.jpg

• Like 1

George Sanders in SUNDOWN on Amazon Prime. The film was released five weeks before Pearl Harbor, and its theme about helping the British against the Nazis is certainly relevant for late 1941. The cinematography was nominated for an Oscar. It's a handsome and well-played story.

The last episode of Law and Order I just watched, original airdate in February of 1991, featured a pre-stardom Samuel L. Jackson as a defense attorney:

Law-and-Order-The-Violence-Of-Summer-Lou

as well as Philip Seymour Hoffman as part of a rape gang:

psh.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

The one I'm watching now just made some Donald Trump jokes. I can't get away from him!

• Like 2

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Jon Lovitz - Compilation disc of skits featuring Lovitz, a cast member from 1985-1990. Among his recurring characters were Tommy Flanagan the Pathological Liar, the Master Thespian, and Mephistopheles. 

140207_2722962_Weekend_Update___Tommy_Fl78721ad515148db7750d424d280d9cb6.jpg500full.jpg

Today I'm looking at some more Higgins Family comedies, starring James Gleason and his wife Lucile. These are very funny. They did the first seven, and the last two had a different cast.