Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Flight of the Intruder - John Milius directed this tale of Navy bomber pilots during the Vietnam War. Starring Brad Johnson, Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, Rosanna Arquette, Ving Rhames, Dann Florek, Tom Sizemore, John Corbett, Reb Brown, David Schwimmer, and Fred Dalton Thompson.

Flight_of_Intruder_(1991).jpg

Glitter Goddess of the Sunset Strip - Ultra-low budget documentary about Llana Lloyd and her mother, who came out to her family as a lesbian in middle age. I don't know who these people are, although there's footage from their early appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show. This came with a DVD set I have called "Freakshow Cinema".

WWMM243.jpg

Great flick with not only the Big Guy against a partially mechanized monster but Miki Saegusa and time travel!!  And don't forget a Spielberg guest appearance and using the word "garrison" about 20 times

This is one of the best in the series.

In my attempt to watch a film from every SOTM honoree, today I'm up to Bing (yesterday was Edward G. Robinson and Lucille Ball).  I'm watching The Country Girl.  It's starting off pretty good.

• Like 1

Mrs. Lambert Remembers Love - TV movie romance starring Ellen Burstyn and Walter Matthau, directed by his son Charles.

Edit: This wasn't much of a romance, but rather a depressing portrait of a woman battling Alzheimer's and trying to keep her grandson out of the hands of his no-good uncle. 

Mrs_Lambert_4.jpg?v=1455610881

• Like 1

After watching TRADE WINDS yesterday, I was in the mood for more Fredric March. I just found another picture with him on Amazon Prime, called THE YOUNG DOCTORS. It's been a while since TCM played it. Great cast, story and director (Phil Karlson).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-05%2Bat%2B5.30.0

• Like 1

I am sorry to say that none of the movies on TCM this afternoon and this evening are to my taste. I feel that this can not be condemnation of TCM because no other channel has any programs which are to my taste.

I am two-thirds through a triple-feature of my own chosing.

Zombieland (2009) I am not a fan of zombie movies or juvenile humor but I find this movie quite precious. It is the tale of an unlikely survivor of the zombie apocalypse and his attempts to find normalcy and order in his life. I find it much more thoughtful and complex than others in the genre. I feel there is a true touch of innocence.

Killing Zoe (1993) This is of a bank robbery. The basic plan needs a slight alteration mid-heist because of an unforeseen circumstance. I like this movie very much but I wish I had the equipment to edit it because there is a large section depicting a drug-fueled revel which does not interest me and which I feel does not add to the story. I find the set of characters quite believable. I do not know if certain features of the movie reflect the touch of Executive Producer Quentin Tarantino or if he became attached to the project because it would contain those features.

Next to go into the DVD Player will be Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) I like this movie very much! It is humourous and intense and quite very twisty. The basic plot is they must rob from robbers to pay a hoodlum who cheated them. Other stories weave in and out of this framework. There are several scenes which I feel could be made into complete movies of their own. 

Watching these has been interspersed with seeing bits and pieces of Season Five and Season Seven of Doctor Who which is playing on the DVD player in the workroom. 

• Like 1

Killing Zoe (1993) This is of a bank robbery. The basic plan needs a slight alteration mid-heist because of an unforeseen circumstance. I like this movie very much but I wish I had the equipment to edit it because there is a large section depicting a drug-fueled revel which does not interest me and which I feel does not add to the story. I find the set of characters quite believable. I do not know if certain features of the movie reflect the touch of Executive Producer Quentin Tarantino or if he became attached to the project because it would contain those features.

Killing Zoe was written and directed by Roger Avary. At one time he was a friend and collaborator of Tarantino's, working on the scripts of True Romance, Reservoir Dogs, and most pointedly Pulp Fiction, for which Tarantino and Avary shared the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. 

Killing Zoe was written and directed by Roger Avary. At one time he was a friend and collaborator of Tarantino's, working on the scripts of True Romance, Reservoir Dogs, and most pointedly Pulp Fiction, for which Tarantino and Avary shared the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. 

That explains much. They are kindred spirits. I thank you for that information.

Watching SLIGHTLY HONORABLE on Amazon Prime. Excellent print quality. Picture stars Pat O'Brien & Broderick Crawford. It was produced in '39...and Brod looks quite young (and thin) in this one. Ruth Terry is a revelation as the love interest. Howard Hughes loaned her to Walter Wanger for the production. The story drags in spots, but the rest of the cast is phenomenal-- with folks like Edward Arnold, Claire Dodd and Eve Arden more than making up for the deficiencies.