Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

Just finished watching PBS' presentation of Carole King and James Taylor Live at the Troubadour

Must be the fifth time I've watched this - blows me away every time. Carole King is my favorite songwriter.

James Taylor and Carole King have always been my favorites. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Battle of the Worlds (1961) - Claude Rains' next to - next to - next to last film.

The first time I watched this I sat through the whole 84 minutes. Today I got it down to 8 minutes. I'm getting better at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I discovered a channel on DirecTV, Audience (239), that shows movies and concerts.  Tonight I saw a documentary by Peter Bogdanovich on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, followed by a concert for their 30th anniversary.  It was good to hear rock 'n roll for a change.

I'm finally getting around to watching "The Wonderful World of Disney: The Disneyland Story."  It's at the part with Mickey's Sorcerer routine from Fantasia.  Prior to this, there was a very extended scene from Song of the South, including scenes with Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox and Uncle Remus.  There was also a clip of Uncle Remus singing "The Laughing Place." I feel like if TCM is willing to show this lengthy a scene from this film, they probably would show the whole film if they had the rights to do so.

Prior to this, I watched It's a Great Feeling with Doris Day.  Loved the cameo at the end *****SPOILER ALERT***** with my boyfriend Errol Flynn revealed as Day's groom, Jeffrey Bushdinkle. Like Errol would really have a name like "Bushdinkle" lol.  I loved the scenes prior to the reveal with Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan peering through the windows speculating on what that "corn ball" groom looked like.  They figured he was a dud and that she was giving up a chance at stardom for him.  If I were Day, I'd have ditched Hollywood and married Bushdinkle too!

I started The Affairs of Martha (1942) which I found (inexplicably) on my DVR recorded sometime ago. Probably due to Marsha Hunt (cute). Good Cast, also with Richard Carlson, Spring Byington, Majorie Main, and a surprise treat, a small, uncredited role, played by Robin Raymond, a gritty character actress who you might remember played Johnny Eager's niece, the wisecracker (an excellent little gig). It seems one of the help in a posh little community has written a book about the master householders (the bosses) but nobody knows what household (that Marsha looks like she could be the one though), so we have a sort of upstairs-downstairs little comedy. I should be able to hang with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Season three of The Americans (FX, Wed., 10 pm eastern time) started last week.  It stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys as married Soviet spies at the end of the Cold War.  I hear so little about it in the media compared to other current shows, but it's very well done--clever writing, good acting (Matthew Rhys is especially great), and all the accoutrements of that intriguing era.  

Over the last two days I have watched season one of HINTERLAND (2013) which consisted of four episodes of a modern police detective drama set in Wales.  This was a British television production.  Fairly good murder mysteries set in a rather bleak winter Wales usually in rural settings.  Each episode was about 1 1/2 hours long.  The lead character is DCI Tom Mathias played by Richard Harrington.  He has a lot of emotional baggage of which one only gets snippets of now and then.  The second lead is DI Mared Rhys played by Mali Harries.  This series is available on Netflix which is where I watched it on my TV.  I recommend the series.  None of the episodes leave you feeling very cheerful but the numerous twists and turns are interesting.  There is supposed to be a series two in production.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just discovered 'Schitt'$ Creek, with Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara, airing on the **** (sorry, POP!) channel.  It's Canadian (thank you, Canadians!) just starting its first season in America.  I would watch these two in anything, but it really is cute and funny

Mr. Otto Sensor wouldn't let me write p o o p.  

We are re-recording all episodes of current incarnation of: Doctor Who. We had done this previously but it was all sort of muddled and so we have decided to do it again so that we have disks of high quality and other disks with long playing time.

I have finished now episode: The Pandorica Opens (2010). I feel it is one of the most funny and touching episodes in program which is full of funny and touching episodes.

I love many of the lines:

Dorium Maldovar: I admire your courage. I should like to admire it from afar.

Thin Male: Hello, I'm the Thin One. This is my husband. He's the Fat One.

Lorna Bucket: Don't you have names?

Fat Male: We're the Thin Fat Gay Married Anglican Marines. Why would we need names as well?

Madame Kovarian: The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules.

The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.

One of my favorite exchanges in any episode is in companion episode: The Big Bang (2010):

The Doctor: Amy, you need to start trusting me. It's never been more important.

Amy Pond: But you don't always tell me the truth.

The Doctor: If I always told you the truth, I wouldn't need you to trust me.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...