Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I'm watching Virginia City

This cracks me up.  I don't know who thought Bogart would make a good Mexican bandit. 

MV5BMTI0MTQ1NzEyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDg4

Miriam Hopkins irritates me in this film.  I didn't find it believable that Flynn would give her a second glance.

hqdefault.jpg

However,

*he* makes the film all worthwhile.

::Swoon::

Z0noiaAyuK.png

Exactly how I feel about the plot of FATAL ATTRACTION.  Why the hell would Michael Douglas look once, let alone twice, at Glenn Close, when he has Anne Archer at home?  Even if he didn't have Anne Archer at home!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched three tv programs- Breaking Bad, Weeds and Freaks and Geeks. Enjoyed all three although BB was a little more violent in some episodes. F&G was only one season. I did enjoy it especially the first episode when Nick says "Hey I've seen God, I felt his power. He plays drums for Led Zeppelin and his name is John Bonham baby!"

I watched three tv programs- Breaking Bad, Weeds and Freaks and Geeks. Enjoyed all three although BB was a little more violent in some episodes. F&G was only one season. I did enjoy it especially the first episode when Nick says "Hey I've seen God, I felt his power. He plays drums for Led Zeppelin and his name is John Bonham baby!"

You watched all of BB?

You watched all of BB?

Yes I did, actually we are re-watching it again. What a perfect song on the last episode, Badfinger's Baby Blue. I found myself really liking Walt. Skyler not so much. I get where she was coming from. Just something about her irritated me. Bryan Cranston was very good. I liked the character of Jesse as well.

I've watched a few series on Netflix. Now I'm at a loss of what to watch. Dexter??

I actually got my husband to start enjoying the old movies, especially pre-codes but since Weeds and Breaking Bad he's having a difficult time going back to them.

Yes I did, actually we are re-watching it again. What a perfect song on the last episode, Badfinger's Baby Blue. I found myself really liking Walt. Skyler not so much. I get where she was coming from. Just something about her irritated me. Bryan Cranston was very good. I liked the character of Jesse as well.

I've watched a few series on Netflix. Now I'm at a loss of what to watch. Dexter??

I actually got my husband to start enjoying the old movies, especially pre-codes but since Weeds and Breaking Bad he's having a difficult time going back to them.

Well, Dexter is a far cry from BB. I hate say anything to poison your mind about some of these shows but if you thought BB was violent at all and you have a limit for violence, I wouldn't recommend Dexter. Let me leave it there.

Why not try Fargo. This is the television series, not the movie. The first season is over (10 episodes) and available on Netflix and is a story in itself. Season Two is a new story with different actors. I really liked S1. It's derivative but totally it's own. The Coen Bros are Executive Producers but have nothing to do with the making of the series. It has affinities with BB IMO, although the story is entirely different. Yet it has some characters that parallel the movie. Won't say much more but Fargo might be a good follow up to BB and it's only 10 episodes. Billy Thornton, Martin Freeman are brilliant. There is newbie who plays the female cop and she is excellent. Try it.

Here are some other recommendations:

Homeland (several seasons, a must really)

True Detective, Season One (excellent work from WoodyH and McConoughy, it's a must try, only 8 episodes, complete in itself)

Deadwood (my favorite of all)

Broken Trail (only two episodes, a real surprise, just get it!)

The Wire (I'm going through this story, difficult at times but ultimately rewarding, I find it takes a little work, everyone should at least try it sooner or later).

EDIT: Forgot to mention Game of Thrones, which I have been following from the beginning. The opening seasons are available on NF, I would certainly recommend anyone to try it.

laffite

Edited by laffite

I'm trying to clear films off the DVR, so tonight I'm having a Hitchcock marathon and watching all the Hitchcock films I have recorded.

First up was "The Wrong Man." Now I'm watching "I Confess," and next will be "Foreign Correspondent."

EDIT: I started falling asleep at the end of "I Confess," so I decided to watch "Foreign Correspondent" tomorrow.

I purchased FREAKS AND GEEKS Complete Series (one season only as you mentioned from 1999- 2000) on DVD.

It was a little pricey for a single season but they were able to secure all the music rights for the songs that played during the original broadcasts.

I love that show,

Freaks-and-Geeks.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased FREAKS AND GEEKS Complete Series (one season only as you mentioned from 1999- 2000) on DVD.

It was a little pricey for a single season but they were able to secure all the music rights for the songs that played during the original broadcasts.

I love that show,

Freaks-and-Geeks.jpg

I love Freaks and Geeks.  It's definitely one of those shows that was canceled before its time.  I managed to find the whole series, used, for $10 at a dvd/cd trade in store. 

Casablanca:  Have you been able to sit through that new version of Poldark that PBS is running now?  I gave up after two.  I kept seeing Robin, Ralph, Jill and the rest of that wonderful '75 cast and just couldn't relate to these new people.  There are differences in the plot and this new one might be more like the original source material-or not-but the old gang outdid themselves.  Thanks for the photo for us to go "aagh" over.

I've been watching one of the cable provided music stations that plays only oldies from the 50's and 60's.  Some of these things I've not heard in 40 years or more but can recognize nearly every one.  Some are true classics while were hits but really cringe-worthy; you laugh because if you don't you'll die from embarrassment that you ever liked it at all.  I now know where to go when I find there's "57 channels and nothing on".    

• Like 1

No, I couldn't either.  I love the TV production values of the '70's.  I am just waiting for the next season of Call the Midwife.   The music offerings include some of the mid to late Fifties hits, like Perry Como.

Hot Diggity!  haha.

Right now,  I am watching old episodes of Frasier.  Favorite lines from episode 6:

Noel:  Hi Roz, you've never worn that sweater on a Tuesday before.

Roz:  I've asked you to take your hands out of your pockets when you talk to me.

I got "In the Woods" out of the RedBox.  I've been wanting to see this film even though I read mixed reviews on it.  I haven't seen the original version of the play, so I won't have that to compare the film with.  The cast sounded interesting: Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt and Chris Pine.  It's also a musical and I like musicals, so hopefully this will be at least worth my $1.

It was a little pricey for a single season but they were able to secure all the music rights for the songs that played during the original broadcasts.

I love that show,

Freaks-and-Geeks.jpg

They could have done so much with the show and it's a shame. I liked all the characters. As for me, I identified more with the freaks but the geeks are fun. Just as Lindsey decided to become a "deadhead", it's over. So much could have aspired.

That's great you got the dvd with the music. To me that's extremely important. It's part of what makes it great. I watched the season a few times and each time I cannot believe they canceled it.

I got "In the Woods" out of the RedBox.  I've been wanting to see this film even though I read mixed reviews on it.  I haven't seen the original version of the play, so I won't have that to compare the film with.  The cast sounded interesting: Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt and Chris Pine.  It's also a musical and I like musicals, so hopefully this will be at least worth my $1.

It's definitely worth the $1.

I enjoyed the movie very much.

• Like 1

I'm watching The Rockford Files, season 1 eps. I have the DVD series. Love this show!

I love Rockford too! James Garner has always been a favorite of mine. He always seemed like a nice person in life. Whenever I hear the phone ring and his voice saying, "this is Jim Rockford", it takes me right back to the 1970's. Very fun and nostalgic. Angel always cracks me up when he's on an episode. What a goofball. ????

I love Rockford too! James Garner has always been a favorite of mine. He always seemed like a nice person in life. Whenever I hear the phone ring and his voice saying, "this is Jim Rockford", it takes me right back to the 1970's. Very fun and nostalgic. Angel always cracks me up when he's on an episode. What a goofball.

Lol - I happen to be watching more of the same right now (I'm not into watching "Private Hargrove" on TCM).  :)

My mom used to like Angel, too.  I know he was a big hit on the show.  For me, for some reason he makes my skin crawl...  

I'm watching "Pitch Perfect" for the billionth time.  This movie never gets old.  I'm a sucker for teen movies (granted these characters are probably 19-early 20s, it's a college movie), especially if they involve a bet, new kid at school, some sort of makeover, or a competition of sorts.  I have over 200 movies recorded on my DVR, so of course I'm watching a movie I own and have seen a million times.  However, I was in the mood for this film, so that's what I'm watching.  Earlier, I watched "Tangled."  That movie, for me never gets old either.  Maybe when "Pitch Perfect" is over, I'll watch something on the DVR.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Singin' in the Rain live no less on TCM.  This film is kicking off an evening of films starring my love, Gene Kelly.  It's Gene's 103rd birthday today.  I'm going to make an evening of it and follow up this film with more Gene Kelly. 

I never tire of Singin' in the Rain or tire of Gene Kelly.  He's so much fun to watch.

How can anyone, regardless of how they feel about musicals, not love Singin' in the Rain? 

I love the "Fit as a Fiddle" song Kelly and Donald O'Connor perform at the beginning of the film.  I also love the routine he does with Cyd Charisse. 

Kudos TCM!

Next! As the second entry into my Gene Kelly birthday tribute, I am watching An American in Paris.  I really enjoy this film.  I know there are many detractors who poo poo the famous 15 minute ballet scene, but I don't care.  I love it. The actor playing Henri is also really cute.  I'm kind of mixed on his singing, though I do love his "Stairway to Paradise" number, but he's got a great smile.

It also features the greatest scene ever committed to celluloid:

2cd8x2.jpg

I like Fred Astaire, but I love Gene Kelly.

I've got chicken n' dumpling soup cooking away in the crock pot and a bottle of Dry Riesling chilling in the fridge...

Tonight, I'm having an Ingrid Bergman 100th birthday tribute, watching some of the films I recorded yesterday and a couple others I already owned. 

Right now, I'm starting off with what is arguably, her most famous film-- Casablanca.

RICK: Your cash is good at the bar

BANKER: What? Do you know who I am?

RICK: I do. You're lucky the bar's open to you.

Up next in my Ingrid Bergman birthday tribute:

Notorious

Also featuring two of my favorites: Cary Grant and Claude Rains!

I was looking through my collection to find all my Bergman movies (I got tired of going down to the basement) to stack them up next to the TV and to supplement the ones I have recorded and I didn't realize how many I had: Casablanca, Notorious, Spellbound, Indiscreet, Cactus Flower... Add those to the 3-4 Bergman films I recorded yesterday, I'm all set!